LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

BOOM!!! what the hell happened?

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2005, 05:48 PM

BOOM!!! what the hell happened?

Well this is kinda long but please bear with me.

I was driving along a straight road at six in the morning heading to work on the house i am purchasing. I decide to do a wot run with the old ta since i haddent had it out in a week or so. I do one and it doesn't pull quite like it normally does. So instead of slowing completely down i just put it in second to do a pull from there. I floor it and somebody else is comming and i move over a bit since i was watching the tach and not the road. It gets to the 6500 rpm rev limiter when i wasn't paying attention and it hits it, then makes some sort of noise, not loud, but a cluncking noise. it only made it once, but white smoke proceded to pour out the back of the car and it died about 10 seconds later. Im like great what the hell happened. so i coast in to my bosses driveway. and knock on her door, her husband answers the door and says that he will pull me out of the way and give me a ride to my house.

So next day i go to look at my car and assess the damage. I pull on the dipstick, but it won't come out. I yanked on it and it came out but it was all bent to hell. I was like **** i threw a rod or something. So i went in the car and to get a cd and i was like what the hell ill see if she'll turn over. Not only does it turn over, but it starts!!! Only to die 5 seconds later.

About a week later i get a trailer lined up and i pull it back home. Once in the shop i decided to see if it will start again...i does but it is running very rough and pouring out white smoke. So i turn it off and jack it up to take a look at the oil pan...well there is a nice hole in the side of it about 3/4" in diameter and dents along all of the oil pan. NO!!!!

What i cant figure out is why it still runs and it isnt that rough.

Oh well i guess the engine is coming out and ill see what happened to it.

Also what should i do? Part out my ta and buy a ls1 f-body or just fix the slow lt1. Or buy and ls1 and keep the lt1 for a drag car...even though the ls1 for the drive would eventually be faster than the lt1.

Sorry for the story.
James
Old 06-07-2005, 06:06 PM

Re: BOOM!!! what the hell happened?

You threw a rod or broke a piston, either way, you probably only have one head and an intake left that isnt scrap. consider the rest of the engine junk.
Old 06-07-2005, 06:25 PM

Take LOTS AND LOTS of pics....

like THIS

I guarantee you though, I did better (or worse for that matter) than you did.. If you look at the pics, I turned 6 forged steel con rods to mush..

Good Luck... And keep the LT1.. Cheaper to build, or if you wanna go nuts, buy THIS

See ya!
Old 06-07-2005, 06:26 PM

Lol its an lt1 i already considered it junk. haha j/k

also it had new rod bolts put in and ive had a few people tell me that the machinist that put them in is a total moron. it was a completely stock bottom end with just new rod bolts, new bearings and new rings.
Old 06-07-2005, 06:43 PM

My machine shop ****ed me and thats why I now have 383 LT1 soup.. It can happen to anybody
Old 06-07-2005, 08:06 PM
Banned

Dropped a valve and tore up a piston? Look in the intake and exhaust for metal when ya pull it.
Old 06-07-2005, 08:15 PM

Originally Posted by SVThuh
Take LOTS AND LOTS of pics....

like THIS

I guarantee you though, I did better (or worse for that matter) than you did.. If you look at the pics, I turned 6 forged steel con rods to mush..

Good Luck... And keep the LT1.. Cheaper to build, or if you wanna go nuts, buy THIS

See ya!
Ouch...no i dont think that mine was that bad since it runs and all...i need to get the motor out of the car, but i lost my will to work on the car since im not really working toward getting it running.