LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

bog/hesitation problem....i doubt it's opti related.

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2006, 01:45 PM

bog/hesitation problem....i doubt it's opti related.

I guess I should give a little background first. I finished rebuilding my engine a few months ago and got it running fine. I'm running a 3200 stall with a stock trans. The motor has been running for almost a month now with no problems, until now. here's what I'm running into. I installed a set of long tubes about 3 weeks ago and replaced the O2 sensors while I was at it. I drove it around for 2 days with open headers. I then installed a y-pipe and took it to the track. I made 4-5 passes at the track again with no problems. I then drove around for a while and about an hour after making my last pass, I started to get a hesitation. In any gear, it would accelerate normally till about 2500 rpm and then bog down really badly. (I don't mean like "oh it doesn't feel so powerful", I mean it has a very hard time accelerating) If I hold the throttle constant the rpms won't increase unless I really lean into the throttle. At about 3000rpm it suddenly catches and drives like normal again.

I've done a little bit of testing and have figured that this problem only occurs after the car has warmed up and even then it is intermittent. Also if I brake stall the car it will bog immediately too.

I've done alot of reading and so far I can't find anyone else that has had the same peoblem. I've thought about a slipping tranny or bad opti, but it lacks symptoms like a rough idle or constant slipping to really make those theories solid. Please help me out and offer any advice.
Old 07-16-2006, 03:28 PM

Re: bog/hesitation problem....i doubt it's opti related.

First off, has the car been tuned? Second, do you have a laptop and an aldl cable that you could log the car with? If you could do this, and post up the log, it would be much more helpful.
Old 07-16-2006, 03:36 PM

yes the car is currently running a tuned PCM from MadZ28.com.

I have just ordered a cable and it should be here tuesday or wedsenday. As soon as it arrives I'll log a few runs.
Old 07-16-2006, 07:34 PM

I also just discovered the problem goes away if the car is left in open loop mode. I replaced the o2 sensors to see if that corrects it. It seemed to fix the problem after about 20 minutes of test driving, then it bogged once more after I stopped for gas, then it went another 20 minutes with no problems before I parked it......so I'm not sure what any of that means, but I'm sure it will help in someway.
Old 07-16-2006, 07:38 PM

I would have suggested unplugging the O2's to check for good operation in open loop, but I would say that it is a sensor or something that is causing it to do this. That's why I suggested logging the car so we can check it out for you. That probably is your best bet.
Old 07-16-2006, 10:40 PM

Check for a broken wire to the O2 or a loose pin in the connector.