LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

block repair

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2009, 10:04 PM

block repair

I spun the front main in my LT1 road racing a couple years ago, the crank got into the main bearing bore about a millimeter. I've built a full racing setup with a different block working well now, but I want to get the original block repaired as its the #s matching original block for my 97SS. The local VERY small town mchine shop here said they could fix it by "spraying molten metal on it and building it back up then line boring it back out". They made it sound like they had done it several times before. Well they had it for a year sitting in their shop and never touched it so I went and picked it up at which time they said they all of a sudden didnt think they could fix it. Bottom line is I've got some money and I want it fixed. Period. I've read about main bearing repair sleeves? Anyone know of a shop that specializes in block repair? I'd about take it anywhere in the country, but east coast would be easier. Thanks
Old 04-26-2009, 01:45 AM

The process is metal spray welding - I do it occasionally, and specifically have done that kind of repair a couple times. You have to preheat the casting and then a special torch head is put on your oxy-act setup and once you have gotten the metal to the right temp, the high nickel spray is introduced to the flame and becomes one with the cast iron.... if we have more extensive work that needs to be done we send it out to our furnace welder who has the ability to keep the block up to temp indefinitely.

You should be able to find someone in your area of the country to do the repair, it's quite common.

You have a picture? - I'm interested to see how bad it looks.
Old 04-26-2009, 08:36 AM

I am in WI so not close enough to refer you but I have talked to a couple places one refered to to the other or said they could put in an oversized bearing. They had a non-performance bearing available for a +.020 bore.

Depending on the level of damage and the intended use of the block afterwards that might be an easier option.

I talked to them about it because someone gave me a badly spun block I was researching fixing.