LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Bigger TB: Is it time?

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2003, 08:20 PM

Bigger TB: Is it time?

I know people say a bigger TB on a stock motor isn't a good idea, but would I see any gain from it as my motor has the hot cam kit? I'm talking about a 52 MM......
Old 04-02-2003, 08:32 PM
96z

Ehh maybe a couple at most..Id put the 200.00+ towards something else..
Old 04-02-2003, 09:13 PM

I would say to go ahead and get it. You could still use some head work, but you could probably benefit from it since you have a cam.
Old 04-02-2003, 09:17 PM

Originally posted by LT1ponykilla
I would say to go ahead and get it. You could still use some head work
!$1000
Old 04-02-2003, 09:25 PM

Well i noticed no difference when i put mine on but i have head work and the stock cam and besides if you gain 10hp on a car that already has over 300 and weighs over 3000 lbs you probably wouldn't notice anyway.I say go for it but get a bored stock one or a used one and it will be worth it.I got mine for $100 plus mine on trade in and the best thing about doing this is it is a easy job.
Old 04-02-2003, 09:42 PM

If you are stock, yes, if you are cammed, HELL yes.

People, peak horsepower means ****, except to dyno queens.

All LT1's will benefit from more air. Not just cammed ones. Instead of falling flat on its face at 5K, it comes alive....Make use of those new valve springs you (hopefully) installed, and actually MAKE some TQ and HP above 5000, instead of seeing a tumble.

200 well spent, IMHO.

Even the S2000 makes 240HP...Only beacuse HP is a product of Torque times RPM...driving in city traffic in one of those is like a convertible civic, all show, no go.
Old 04-02-2003, 10:16 PM

Yes, I have new springs......

From what I see, some people think these bigger TBs are too big and messes up the airflow.....
Old 04-02-2003, 10:21 PM

I have had no problems with mine and i have a auto with stock converter and there were no side effects to adding the 52mm TB.
Old 04-02-2003, 10:23 PM

I'd like to know how adding more air is a problem to these people...LOL

As I said, peak HP may go up, it may fall(due to power curve flattening out, but probobly not on a cammed car). Peak HP is for guys who never drive their cars. I am interested in a big, flat tourque curve.

I can bet you dollars to pesos you will have a more useable torque curve at 5000+rpms.

Also, invest in PCM programming, it'll add HP that your stock programming WILL take away.
Old 04-02-2003, 10:30 PM

Originally posted by HM Murdock
I'd like to know how adding more air is a problem to these people...LOL

As I said, peak HP may go up, it may fall(due to power curve flattening out, but probobly not on a cammed car). Peak HP is for guys who never drive their cars. I am interested in a big, flat tourque curve.

I can bet you dollars to pesos you will have a more useable torque curve at 5000+rpms.

Also, invest in PCM programming, it'll add HP that your stock programming WILL take away.
stock 48mm tb should flow plenty of air for his car.

you dont use torque at 5000 rpms... you use horsepower

why would the stock program take away hp?

a 52mm or 58mm tb will act exactly like a 48mm tb until you are above probably 80% throttle. before that point the flow is going to be exactly the same. the extra size is only taken into account once you have open it up enough to outflow the max flow of the stocker which is likely only above 4k rpm even with a hotcam.
Old 04-02-2003, 11:03 PM
96z

If more air is always better than I guess the all the stock guys should go ahead and throw a monoblade on their car...theyll probably gain...like 25 HP since itll flow 1200+ cfm.

Unless you are seriously choking your car at high RPM's it wouldnt be worth the money IMO.

My board friend rskrause was using a 48mm TB on his old set up when his car made 700+rwhp. He is an example of someone who could have gained some power but he must have decided that the gain wasnt worth the cash....
Old 04-02-2003, 11:20 PM

I am getting my PCM programmed by Bryan to fix my A/F.....I think I'll put the $200 or so towards B&M.......
Old 04-02-2003, 11:20 PM

Originally posted by turbo_Z

you dont use torque at 5000 rpms... you use horsepower
Bull****. All Horsepower is torque in ft./lbs. times rpm, divided by 5,252.
Do you still think you don't use torque up high?

why would the stock program take away hp?

He is not internally stock, so the stock program is no longer valid. Duh.

a 52mm or 58mm tb will act exactly like a 48mm tb until you are above probably 80% throttle. before that point the flow is going to be exactly the same. the extra size is only taken into account once you have open it up enough to outflow the max flow of the stocker which is likely only above 4k rpm even with a hotcam.
Gee, more power at WOT, who wants that?

Didn't I say the difference would be above 5K?

Geeze

Ignorance of physics is no excuse for lost Torque.

Last edited by HM Murdock; 04-02-2003 at 11:22 PM.
Old 04-02-2003, 11:28 PM

Originally posted by HM Murdock
Bull****. All Horsepower is torque in ft./lbs. times rpm, divided by 5,252.
Do you still think you don't use torque up high?

He is not internally stock, so the stock program is no longer valid. Duh.

Gee, more power at WOT, who wants that?

Didn't I say the difference would be above 5K?

Geeze

Ignorance of physics is no excuse for lost Torque.

you said the torque curve would be more usable at 5k rpm which it not accurate.. maybe hp curve but everyone knows you dont have torque up high. have you ever seen a dyno graph?

ok i misunderstood you about the programming. i thought you were saying the tb would rob him of hp because of this stock tune.
Old 04-02-2003, 11:39 PM
96z

This was posted a WHILE back by injuneer when I had asked why Craig at GTP said a 58mm TB was costing me power on my head cam A4 car....take it for whats its worth.

"I can tell you why an oversize TB won't help. Just because a TB can flow more air at a given pressure drop doesn't mean it will cause more air to flow into your specific engine. Air flow is determined largely by the heads and cam. The TB is simply there to act as a "valve".... allowing the engine to run at less than 100%.

Yes, if you had a severely undersized TB to start with, you would choke off the amount of air that can flow into the engine, but put a grossly oversize TB in place of a correctly sized TB, and it isn't going to magically make the engine demand/flow more air.

A measurement of flow means nothing if it isn't accompanied by a pressure drop. Pressure drop is roughly proportional to the diameter raised to the 2.5 power. Once you reach a certain point, the reduction in pressure drop is negligible. And the only thing that is going to change the amount of air filling the pistons is the pressure drop in the air inlet track. A fraction of an inch of water isn't going to alter volumetric efficiency any appreciable amount.

As a point of reference, when we first set up my engine, we used N-alpha programming, where fuel is essentially determined by throttle position and rpm. At 77% open, the 58mm TB was flowing about as much air as the engine needed. In effect, the engine could have made the same amount of power on a 52mm TB. Going larger did not cause the engine to flow more air, or make more power.

I can't tell you why Craig is saying the 58mm is costing you power because you have an A4. I doubt that the velocity of the air through the TB bores is of major significance, since the volume of the plenum relative to the volume of the runners should effectively decouple the TB from the runners. I "think" that's the case... can't prove it for the specifics of the LT1 plenum.

But the idea that putting a larger TB or a larger MAF sensor or a larger CAI magically makes your engine flow significantly more air is a popular misconception. The increase in flow is proportional to the reduction in pressure loss, relative to full atmospheric pressure.... a few 1/10th's of an inch H2O from an oversize component means virtually nothing."

Quick Reply: Bigger TB: Is it time?