LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Best oil for Z28????

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2005, 06:38 PM

Re: Best oil for Z28????

Originally Posted by 96capricemgr
http://theoildrop.server101.com/cgi/ultimatebb.cgi
M1 specifically 30wts. are too thin they are close to a 20wt. analysis PROVES that it is not the best choice for the LT1 and that 0w-30GC or 0w-40 M1 are better choices. Amsoils 30wts. are good choices too just not M1s 30wts. An oils ratings mean it falls in a weight range M1s oils tend to fall at the very thin end of the range and oil testing shows the LT1 likes thick 30wts to thin 40wts. You all want dyno and track numbers to back up[ performance mods yet you insist on ignorance with your oil. The analysis we speak of is like dynoing you oil it is actual testing to see how much wear metal is in there. The link above has lots of info including a whole section where people post the details of their car and it's use along with what oil and then the oils wear metal contents and measurements of how the oil itself is lasting. If you think you know more than that and are too pig headed to read and learn fine but don't try to tell others what is good because you are not educated enough to know what is good.

The General speced 5w-30 for CAFE reasons this same motor used in Europe or almost anywhere outside US and Canada specs 40wt., and GMs choice of M1 for the Vette was because they needed a synthetic for heat and Mobil was/is the biggest producer and you can bet GM and the others get something out of Mobil using them in advertizing too. M1 is good oil no doubt, the 30wts. just are not quite right for this motor.
im not going to get into this argument again. ive got to much studying to do and i get my information from petroleum engineers. not some ****ing message board full of people who dont know what 0w30 means. when you start citing some oil engineers that have Ph.d behind there name, then we'll talk.

Last edited by 93turbo5oh; 02-28-2005 at 06:44 PM.
Old 02-28-2005, 07:42 PM

Originally Posted by 93turbo5oh
im not going to get into this argument again. ive got to much studying to do and i get my information from petroleum engineers. not some ****ing message board full of people who dont know what 0w30 means. when you start citing some oil engineers that have Ph.d behind there name, then we'll talk.
Multi-viscosity oil or multi-weight oil has the operating characteristics of a thin, light oil when cold and a thicker, heavy oil when hot. A multi-weight oil is numbered SAE 10W-30, 10W-40, 20W-50, and so on. For example, a 10W-30 oil will flow easily (like 10W oil) when starting a cold engine. It will then act as a thicker oil (like 30 weight) when the engine warms to operating temperature. This will make the engine start more easily in cold weather. It will also provide adequate film strength (thickness) when the engine is at full operating temperature.

From Here

pretty much means that a 0W40 oil is a 0 weight oil that will only thin as much as a 40 weight oil when warm

Last edited by Dave89IROC; 02-28-2005 at 07:48 PM.
Old 02-28-2005, 07:46 PM

Good. You need to stay out of oil discussions, as it is apparent you don't have a clue.
Old 02-28-2005, 08:04 PM

Originally Posted by Dave89IROC
From Here

pretty much means that a 0W40 oil is a 0 weight oil that will only thin as much as a 40 weight oil when warm
exactly. its a 0 weight oil. thats not the greatest thing for a higher mileage LT1 that has between .0025-.003 bearing clearence. its fine if you have a synthetic base stock oil, but these M1 and castrol synth arent.
Old 02-28-2005, 08:06 PM

Originally Posted by moparman
Good. You need to stay out of oil discussions, as it is apparent you don't have a clue.
judging by reading these boards and according to my buddies that make oil for royal purple, im one of the few that does have a clue. but what do they know, they only make the ****.
Old 02-28-2005, 08:14 PM

Yeah engineers and theory mean more than REAL WORLD results in our applications and usage. Tell you what not in my mind or world. Engineers are designing oils for things other than what we ask of them. They are designing cheap oils for good milage, safety of emmisions equipment and the like. The only way to know which one is perfect for an application is testing. By your argument we should all just call Comp and have them spec out our cams and heads because they know more than real world dyno results right? WRONG!
Old 02-28-2005, 08:22 PM

Originally Posted by 96capricemgr
Yeah engineers and theory mean more than REAL WORLD results in our applications and usage. Tell you what not in my mind or world. Engineers are designing oils for things other than what we ask of them. They are designing cheap oils for good milage, safety of emmisions equipment and the like. The only way to know which one is perfect for an application is testing. By your argument we should all just call Comp and have them spec out our cams and heads because they know more than real world dyno results right? WRONG!
last i checked the society of automotive engineers were the ones spec'ing viscosity. you guys dont even how to read an oil bottle. of course some oils are better then others, but if you think the oils get thicker with heat, put a 0w30, 5w30, 10w30, 20w50 and SAE 30 all in separate containers in the freezer overnight, then put them in the oven at 200 degrees and see how much they thicken. then tell me about real world.
Old 02-28-2005, 08:57 PM

What an oil has to do is minimize wear inside an engine the analysis I refer to measures how much wear metal the oil contains, I do not give a rats rear about anything but what those results say. If those results show that a specific 0w-40 results in less wear metal content in the oil than it can not be argued that it is protecting the engine better. as far as engineers and whatnot there are MANY ways to achieve any single goal, different companies and engineers will try different things and each engine can like a differnt thing. Analysis shows what actually works. I do not claim engineers are trying to design inferior products just that the only way to know who product is best for a particular motor is though analysis.
Old 02-28-2005, 09:36 PM

we are on two different pages. the amount of metal in the oil analysis is different from what im talking about. i agree that some oils protect better then others, but you also have to look at the ambient temp of the enviroment its going to be run in, bearing clearences, rpm range, hp level and length of run time at the rpm and hp level to pick the ideal weight for the application. the thicker oils are better at keeping the bearing surfaces cool in high rpm applications.

i can tell this, we dont run M1 or castrol in the nascar craftsman truck i crew on. we use redline 20w50 (and so do most of the cup and truck teams). we dont run a 0w whatever. we have to run a thicker oil for oil/bearing temp control. we heat it at 200 degrees, before we even start the engine. it takes a long time for the oil to heat up from ambient otherwise because of the large oil tank (dry sump) and big coolers. so we just heat it before we start. the oil gets as hot as 280 degrees during the race.

the long and the short of it is this, at the low hp/rpm levels our LT1 and **** run, any oil is going to work fine. when you start making 800hp at 9000rpm and running for hours on end, thats when you have oil failure.

but my argument is that a 0w30 or whatever isnt right for all applications. the oil analysis is only part of the equation, at least in my experience.

Last edited by 93turbo5oh; 02-28-2005 at 10:22 PM.
Old 02-28-2005, 10:32 PM

the long and the short of it is this, at the low hp/rpm levels our LT1 and **** run, any oil is going to work fine. when you start making 800hp at 9000rpm and running for hours on end, thats when you have oil failure.
You should have stated this in your first post.
Old 02-28-2005, 10:45 PM

Originally Posted by turbo_Z
You should have stated this in your first post.
probably.
Old 02-28-2005, 10:56 PM

we are on two different pages. the amount of metal in the oil analysis is different from what im talking about. i agree that some oils protect better then others, but you also have to look at the ambient temp of the enviroment its going to be run in, bearing clearences, rpm range, hp level and length of run time at the rpm and hp level to pick the ideal weight for the application. the thicker oils are better at keeping the bearing surfaces cool in high rpm applications.

i can tell this, we dont run M1 or castrol in the nascar craftsman truck i crew on. we use redline 20w50 (and so do most of the cup and truck teams). we dont run a 0w whatever. we have to run a thicker oil for oil/bearing temp control. we heat it at 200 degrees, before we even start the engine. it takes a long time for the oil to heat up from ambient otherwise because of the large oil tank (dry sump) and big coolers. so we just heat it before we start. the oil gets as hot as 280 degrees during the race.

but my argument is that a 0w30 or whatever isnt right for all applications. the oil analysis is only part of the equation, at least in my experience.
Ok, well, 99% of the people who ask what Oil is best for them are NOT freakin running their LT1 at 9000rpm for hours, I can gurantee that! So all of your arguments are great for Nascar messageboards, but not this one. I have seen you post in many Oil threads, and every time you say the same thing, yet you never seem to understand that the original poster asked for what oil is best for HIM, not a NASCAR Craftsman Truck Series Truck. Therefore, German Castrol Syntec 0W-30 is the best for the LT1 in stock to moderately modded trim.
Old 02-28-2005, 10:56 PM

In my 94 Z28 / 355ci I couldnt decide between 5-30 and 10-30, so i used 3 qts. of mobile 1 10w30 and 2 qts. of Mobile 1 5w30. The rings seem to like it, and allowed 397rwhp from a 355 NA.

So i guess i actually use 8w30 mobile 1 I also recommend the K&N 3002 oil filter.

Last edited by StangSpanker; 02-28-2005 at 11:02 PM.
Old 02-28-2005, 11:19 PM

Therefore, German Castrol Syntec 0W-30 is the best for the LT1 in stock to moderately modded trim.
i have to disagree with that.

first of all, redline is a real synthetic base stock oil. that is the only reason we are able to run such a thin oil. (that and the SB2s we have, have great oil cooling and small rod/main journals to slow down bearing speed). M1 and Syntech start as mineral base stock.

a 0w non synth base stock oil is way to thin for a stock chevy engine with .0025-.003" of bearing clearence runnning at 6000+ rpm. no matter what the ambient temp given the large SBC main and rod journal sizes, relatively low oil capacity and almost non existent oil cooling.

for a low performance application (i.e. not raced frequently) im sure its fine. but in that case any oil will work as long as its kept fresh. which means all this castrol M1 is a waste of money.
Old 03-01-2005, 05:38 AM

when looking for weights of oil, you go by the 30 0r 40 or 50, not the first number with the w, that stands for winter. 5w30 means 5 winter 30. 20w50 means in cold temps it acts like a 20 weight and summer it is a 50 weight or 5w30 meaning 5 weight in winter and 30 weight in summer. I took an intern at Royal purple so I hope they know what they are talking about

Quick Reply: Best oil for Z28????