LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Before I order, Tubular or Boxed Sub Frame Connectors?

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2003, 08:37 AM

Smile Before I order, Tubular or Boxed Sub Frame Connectors?

O.k., before I place the order, I would like your opinions on tubular vs. the boxed BMR subframe connectors.

I guess my big question is whether or not you felt a difference with the tubular SFC's, because that is what I would like to order. I would love your feedback, especially if you have T-tops. If I need to go with the boxed to feel the difference, then I will do that.

Thanks,
Dan
Old 10-08-2003, 08:52 AM

I'd like to know also
Old 10-08-2003, 09:15 AM

Its very unlikely that you find the same person who has tried both. If you’re looking for a stronger and more rigid sfc, take the boxed ones.
Old 10-08-2003, 09:18 AM

For a street driven car thats not gonna make hella horsepower you really can,t go wrong either way.
If you want overkill get some Double Diamonds.
Old 10-08-2003, 09:19 AM

I'm aware that the boxed are stronger, but I'm wondering if the tubular are good enough.

Dan
Old 10-08-2003, 09:33 AM

why go with good enough? do it right the first time.. save headaches later
Old 10-08-2003, 09:37 AM

i went with tubular bmr sfc.i got them through a gp and the box wasnt available but i also thought that tubular would be enough.i plan on a high horse motor but i think tubular will do just fine.
Old 10-08-2003, 09:58 AM

GO boxed
Old 10-08-2003, 10:01 AM

Originally posted by 93Z286Speed
why go with good enough? do it right the first time.. save headaches later
There are two reasons that I'm not sure about the boxed SFC's.

First is that you loose 3/4" of ground clearance, and you can see them slightly from outside the car.

Second is how the boxed ones bolt up in the back. They have two flanges that go on either side of the lower control arm bolt. I read on thier site that the back end can clunk if the bolt is not retightened tight enough. This gives me a little doubt to what effect they have on that rear LCA bolt/mount.

Ledfootz28,

Do you have them on the car now, and did you notice a difference?

I wish BMR had a better way to describe how the two differ in performance. I like data, not opinions.

Dan

Last edited by stereomandan; 10-08-2003 at 10:03 AM.
Old 10-08-2003, 10:17 AM

Originally posted by stereomandan
First is that you loose 3/4" of ground clearance, and you can see them slightly from outside the car.

Second is how the boxed ones bolt up in the back. They have two flanges that go on either side of the lower control arm bolt. I read on thier site that the back end can clunk if the bolt is not retightened tight enough.
I have tubulars. Honestly you can see them sometimes from outside the car! The boxed would obviously show a lot more. Although you 'lose 3/4' ground clearance, IMO that isnt really the case. They are 3/4 of an inch lower and i'm not disputing that, i just don't think you're ever going to bottom out there, at least not on my car

I don't think there is a significant difference betweeen the way the two designs mount in the rear.

I could definitly feel the difference in handling when i installed them. The car felt a lot tighter in turns. The turn in was crisper. I was slightly dissapointed because i would occasionally get a rattle in the rear still, but there was a chance even DD wouldn't have fixed that rattle so i just tracked it down and eliminated it Not to mention the way it now 'lifts a leg' when your jacking it up. My cousins car has DD and although you obviously can't make a good comparison since they're different cars i would say it's obvious that both cars have SFC. Without looking underneath you can't tell what kind since one is adaquate and the other is overkill.

For me i would base it on whether or not you want to see a glaring red bar down there all the time or want to get them in a different color like black. I'm not convinced that the boxed provide a signifcant advantage, but i don't think you really lose ground clearance either.
Old 10-08-2003, 10:17 AM

I had Tubular on my 98SS and have Boxed on my 95 Firebird. I'd say I didn't notice a big difference between the two. I am very happy I went with Boxed now, because of the BMR Xtreme torque arm.

I think both will work just fine for you, and I highly doubt one is 'that' much better than the other. If my memory serves me correctly I do agree with having slightly better ground clearance with the tubular vs the boxed. But I don't mind my SFC's stickin down a bit.

Jason
Old 10-08-2003, 10:20 AM

In my opinion BMR sfc's hang too low and if your car is lowered, plan on seeing those SFC'c scrape like crazy everytime. Especially if you live in a ghetto trailer park like me and it has speed bumps every 20 feet..SCRAAAAPPPE!!! Anyhow, I'd go with Global West or Kenny Brown Double D's baby....

PEPPER
Old 10-08-2003, 10:23 AM

Thanks! Those last three comments really hit the nail on the head, so to speak.

I'm glad to hear the tubulars make a difference, and that it's more of a fact of having SFC's on the car, regardless of which type. That will help a lot in my decision. Right now I'm dancing between the BMR tubular or the Global West Tubular.

Dan
Old 10-08-2003, 11:21 AM

I went with BMR tubular on my car. I think i got them for 125 bucks on a gp. They really tightened up the car and i would believe they are strong enough for most cars. My car is black and so are the subframes and you can't even notice them on there. They hang down maybe a 1/4 of a in below the pinch weld seem on the rockers and if they are black they blend right in. My friend has Boxed BMR's and riding in both of them there isn't a noticable diff in the two cars. The one thing you can notice in the boxed is how far those ugly things hang down. . I installed the subframes myself and they fit great BMR is know for low prices and great quality they are the only suspension, chassis stuff i would run for that reason.
Old 10-08-2003, 11:37 AM

With boxed SFC do you lose more clearance than with long tube headers (basically do they hang lower than the collectors)? I can't afford to lose any more clearance than I have w/ hooker LTs.

Quick Reply: Before I order, Tubular or Boxed Sub Frame Connectors?