LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Been away for 3 years and need new advice for my news camaro

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2006, 01:42 PM

Been away for 3 years and need new advice for my news camaro

I am about to step into the camaro world again and get back my car I lost/sold a while back. I said that the only reason I sold it in the first place was for the fact that it was wrecked in the front, still drove great with new parts, but a wrecked car is a wrecked car. I bought it with 46k on her, drove her for another 24k and just about broke even so all was cool.

Now, that being said and done, a new exact mint unit is right around the corner. My old unit just had the K&N setup, airfoil and 6-speed. I loved the power and pull of it as it was, but, I always said I would like about 30 more (or so) horses and I would be content. What is out there, forms of combination will be accepted, that will give me this AND keep my mileage intact? I have been reading a few posts and the concensous is said that the more air you can get in and out, all variables being the same, the more power you can make.

Question to the crew:
1) What are stock heads good for as far as flow goes?
2) Whats the best numbers a home porting can do?
3) If, by my reading, that the stock intake system is inefficiant, what should it be replaced with?
4) I know there is a lot of other variables exhaust....etc.. but this is what I want to look to first, so, anything else I am missing just in case?

I know the answers are in here somewhere, but, if someone knows this off the top of thier heads, excuse the pun, I would appreciate it as it would help me save a little time (some people have to work for a living, ha ha ).

P.S. The new car is an automatic
Old 08-03-2006, 02:07 PM

Re: Been away for 3 years and need new advice for my news camaro

Stock heads good for over 400 @ crank.
Old 08-03-2006, 02:07 PM

What year and model is it?
Old 08-03-2006, 02:35 PM

Originally Posted by 1FstFormulaV8
What year and model is it?
Sorry, its a 1997 LT1 camaro
Old 08-04-2006, 06:19 AM

You could do some easy bolt-ons like a CAI and a cat-back. These may actually increase your mileage 1-3mpg and should easily get you the 30 hp you want.
Old 08-04-2006, 01:20 PM

I think you would be hugely happy with headers & exhaust to start. That with a K&N and you should be a good 30 from stock. You can also do the TB coolant bypass good for a couple of hp.

Since you have an Auto I would really really recommend getting a higher stall converter! I had one just put in my 95 A4 as well and its such a different car! You could maybe do this instead of headers, but i would still get the exhaust done.

Another option is to get some 3.73 gears put in. You won't be increasing the hp by much BUT it will make the car a whole lot more fun to drive with the extra 15% torque!
Old 08-04-2006, 01:52 PM

My thinking, so far and so far ONLY, is that get a BIG fpik (or whatever it is called) 58mm TB, yank the intake and port it along with porting the intake runners on the head, MAC headers with Y pipe and high flow cat and then do all the little other knick knacks and be done with it. Oooh, yea, forgot the gears too.
Old 08-04-2006, 04:42 PM

best performance for the buck...go to the junk yard and pull the stall out of an s-10 with a v-6 motor. it's factory set to i think 3200..and it's a 4l60...and it's going to be really cheap. if you're really interested in gears, now would be the time to pull some 3.73 gears if it's equipped with a 10-bolt. if not, they're cheap enough on ebay or here.

secondly, do get FULL exhaust (pace setters are cheap enough, and perform well) and possibly 52mm tb and CAI. that should set you up with close to another 50 or so HP.
Old 08-04-2006, 05:04 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by SSCamaro
I am about to step into the camaro world again and get back my car I lost/sold a while back. I said that the only reason I sold it in the first place was for the fact that it was wrecked in the front, still drove great with new parts, but a wrecked car is a wrecked car. I bought it with 46k on her, drove her for another 24k and just about broke even so all was cool.

Now, that being said and done, a new exact mint unit is right around the corner. My old unit just had the K&N setup, airfoil and 6-speed. I loved the power and pull of it as it was, but, I always said I would like about 30 more (or so) horses and I would be content. What is out there, forms of combination will be accepted, that will give me this AND keep my mileage intact? I have been reading a few posts and the concensous is said that the more air you can get in and out, all variables being the same, the more power you can make.

Question to the crew:
1) What are stock heads good for as far as flow goes?
2) Whats the best numbers a home porting can do?
3) If, by my reading, that the stock intake system is inefficiant, what should it be replaced with?
4) I know there is a lot of other variables exhaust....etc.. but this is what I want to look to first, so, anything else I am missing just in case?

I know the answers are in here somewhere, but, if someone knows this off the top of thier heads, excuse the pun, I would appreciate it as it would help me save a little time (some people have to work for a living, ha ha ).

P.S. The new car is an automatic

Stock castings will go to 300+CFM and a home job MIGHT get 240CFM.
Ya can make 425/450RWHP with a stock ported intake but don't go in there and just grind on it and screw it up for a pro porter, it needs welding and knowing what ya are doing.
A stall converter and gears and suspension are going to be needed-- then comes the 12 bolt and built tranny,etc.
Ya will have to have headers and exhaust too to make it all work right.

Last edited by 1racerdude; 08-04-2006 at 05:29 PM.
Old 08-06-2006, 01:19 PM

What would stock heads with no porting net me?