LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

BeCool and stock

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2003, 06:14 PM

BeCool and stock

I cant believe that some people have had even better results with the OEM radiator than with becool... its a bit unexplainable...

I found this searching.. Now why is this if the becool or griffin should be a much bigger radiator etc!!!!
Old 10-20-2003, 08:57 AM

Are you looking at getting a Be Cool because you are currently having cooling issues? The main reason I went with a Be Cool radiator is because I paid $300.00. It was a nightmare because I have an ATI 12-rib setup and a electric waterpump. I had to buy a single 16-in low profile Spal Fan. Due to running a single fan I was running pretty hot (195-205).
Old 10-20-2003, 09:59 AM

I was running pretty hot 200-210 with the A/Coff and my car never heated more than 180 on a 100F day A/C off...

I discovered that I had a fan programming problem.. they were not turning on in high speed.. So i though it was a good idea to upgrade the COMPLETE cooling system and I Did a search and I found that many people have had many problems...

Does the becool have the tabs for the condenser? Does it have the tabs for the fans? Or did you have to fab it all up?

LMK

Thanks
Old 10-20-2003, 10:37 AM

Yes it does have tabs for the condensor and no it does not have tabs for the fans. I ended up using plastic fasteners to secure them on the radiator.
Old 10-20-2003, 10:41 AM

Did you really notice any difference in temps?? I just cant believe some people have not noticed any difference.. maybe the difference is when you run it hard for a while.. the stock one HAS to overheat and the becool will be the same as idle or something...
Old 10-20-2003, 12:41 PM

To be honest not really. I did notice a 5-10 degree drop when I ran straight water with 2 bottles of Water Wetter.
Old 10-20-2003, 12:57 PM

I'm contemplating the Griffin and it's not the direct fit replacement but a measured size that fits with some mild modification. $150 for a Griffin with a little Home Depot bracket here and there is all that's needed. My friend runs this setup with his 383 and never gets above 170 in his car at anytime, running hard, hot summer day, etc etc.
Old 10-20-2003, 01:35 PM
Ai

Bret,

I'm actually in the process of doing the same thing - making something similar to the ~$300 2row 1.25" tubing griffin work. That or picking up a race take-off if I can find one of suitable dimensions .
Old 10-20-2003, 01:44 PM

IDOxlr8 what model is the becool? Does it have the Oil cooler part for the fbody? Price?

And what model grifin are you suggesting?
Old 10-20-2003, 01:48 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by The Highlander
[B]IDOxlr8 what model is the becool? Does it have the Oil cooler part for the fbody? Price?

Unfortunately I do not have a part number available but my radiator is for an M6 and does not come with an oil cooler. I paid $300.00 for my brand new radiator and keyed hub. I think they go for 475.00 or so from Summit Racing.
Old 10-20-2003, 03:11 PM

Originally posted by SkarodoM
Bret,

I'm actually in the process of doing the same thing - making something similar to the ~$300 2row 1.25" tubing griffin work. That or picking up a race take-off if I can find one of suitable dimensions .
http://griffinrad.com/racing.php
1-800-722-3723

Ok here's the skinny from Griffin/Summit:

* Our stock radiators are 29"w x 19"h with one 7/8" core
* Griffin Universal pn# GRI-125242-X: 27.5"w x 19"h with dual 1" cores. $189.00 from Summit Racing.
* Griffin direct fit: pn6293AE-GXX - $436.99 (special order) f/Summit.

The universal listed would be the closest fit for our car and I'm positive it's what my buddy runs. Hard to beat for the price. As for the water coolant level sensor on our stockers I'm just going to unplug and see if I get a code. If so I'll develop something else to override, resistor mod and just check my damn fluid perodically would be easy enough. He had to make custom hoses because of the dia. differences from the tank and the waterpump. He just ran a smaller piece of hose into the large hose and it fit onto the pump and clamped it. For the smaller hoses he ran a T connection to the large hose I think just on the driver side. I need to figure out how the bottom two small hoses flow so I can decide if I'm going the same route my friend did.
Old 10-20-2003, 05:33 PM

You can always reprogram for it..
Old 10-21-2003, 10:02 AM
Ai

Good information Bret

For other people considering this, I believe the hp ratings may be leaning more towards continuous duty - meaning a race car that goes from tq peak to the pill 400 miles at a time .

Still, lots of variables, so people may want to give them a call to determine just how much radiator they need. Or just buy the foolish LT1 rad.. but I've always had a tendency to make things more difficult for myself

Good luck with it, if you get it done soon, I'd certainly be interested in a picture or two of the mounting and/or plumbing .
Old 10-21-2003, 12:42 PM

Originally posted by SkarodoM
Good information Bret

For other people considering this, I believe the hp ratings may be leaning more towards continuous duty - meaning a race car that goes from tq peak to the pill 400 miles at a time .

Still, lots of variables, so people may want to give them a call to determine just how much radiator they need. Or just buy the foolish LT1 rad.. but I've always had a tendency to make things more difficult for myself

Good luck with it, if you get it done soon, I'd certainly be interested in a picture or two of the mounting and/or plumbing .
it's on order from Summit as we speak, hopefully here Friday. My friend has a digcam so I'll take some mod pics and shoot em to ya. I'm shooting for keeping my plastic retainer mount on top that holds the rad in, only because it has all my mod stickers on it lol. But we figured out the hose routings last night, took some pre-lim measurements and pretty much have a game plan.

I'm the same way regarding making things more difficult for myself , I never leave stuff well enough alone, always thinking I can engineer it better lol...
Old 10-21-2003, 12:44 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by IDOXLR8
[B]
Originally posted by The Highlander
IDOxlr8 what model is the becool? Does it have the Oil cooler part for the fbody? Price?

Unfortunately I do not have a part number available but my radiator is for an M6 and does not come with an oil cooler. I paid $300.00 for my brand new radiator and keyed hub. I think they go for 475.00 or so from Summit Racing.
BeCool's pn f/Summit is BCI-60028 @$525.69 p/their mag.

I think I posted Griffin's direct fit pn.

Quick Reply: BeCool and stock