LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Axle and differential problems

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2003, 06:59 PM

Axle and differential problems

Ok I narrowed the squeking problem down to a missing c-clip on the driver side axle.

http://csce.uark.edu/~jgbertr/rb/differential.jpg

This is how diff is supposed to look. My diff has been rotated so the pin and bolt is on the top. How do I fix this? The pin also goes through something with springs. What is it? Thanks, Mike.
Oh yeah gears are 2.73's.
Old 02-14-2003, 09:56 PM

uhhmm?

Is this a joke,or you never worked on a rearend before?
your squeeking noise is not from a missing "C" clip!! believe me! You must have just dropped it, because if it was missing before the entire axle shaft, with the wheel on it would have left the car a long time ago! the "C" clip holds the axle in. OK that whole thing in there is called the carrier. the carrier spins, so reach in and spin it to where you can remove the pinion shaft again. the pinion shaft keeps the axles from moving inward, so the "C" clips dont fall off when your driving. You push the shaft in-board from the wheel side, clib back under the car, put the "C" clip back on, the pull the axle back outward so the "C" clip goes into the socket to hold it in place, then slip the pinion sahft back in, install pinion bolt and tighted it back up, make sure it has lock tight on it.
Oh those spring things, are actually gears, they are spider gears. If they dont line up anymore, lift it up and place it over the pinion shaft hole so you can get the pinion shaft back in.

kingslam....
Old 02-18-2003, 05:51 PM

Re: uhhmm?

Originally posted by kingslam
Is this a joke,or you never worked on a rearend before?
Never worked on rear-end. All that talk about setting backlash and what not, was intimidating.
your squeeking noise is not from a missing "C" clip!! believe me! You must have just dropped it, because if it was missing before the entire axle shaft, with the wheel on it would have left the car a long time ago! the "C" clip holds the axle in.
Actually it is. The squeaking noise is from the brake caliper scraping the rotor. That's what was holding the axle in.

OK that whole thing in there is called the carrier. the carrier spins, so reach in and spin it to where you can remove the pinion shaft again. the pinion shaft keeps the axles from moving inward, so the "C" clips dont fall off when your driving. You push the shaft in-board from the wheel side, clib back under the car, put the "C" clip back on, the pull the axle back outward so the "C" clip goes into the socket to hold it in place, then slip the pinion sahft back in, install pinion bolt and tighted it back up, make sure it has lock tight on it.
Oh those spring things, are actually gears, they are spider gears. If they dont line up anymore, lift it up and place it over the pinion shaft hole so you can get the pinion shaft back in.

kingslam....
Is the pinion shaft supposed to be hard to get out? I had to hammer SOB out. Then when I did that the springs popped out. Put everything back in. Everything sound good for a couple of days. Now it just started doing it again.

Last edited by 94Z28DOJ; 02-18-2003 at 05:54 PM.
Old 02-18-2003, 06:09 PM

The springs shouldn't fall out when you take the pinion shaft out.

Are you sure everything is ok inside the diff?
Old 02-18-2003, 06:18 PM

It's getting me back in forth to work right now. The gears in side the carrier are chipped a little, but still mesh well. I am probably going to get a different ratio for the 2 series carrier. Or should I install a 3 series carrier. If so what do you recommend. Thanks!