LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related
View Poll Results: How many MPG did you lose !CAT...
92.31%
0%
7.69%
0%
0%
5+
0%
Voters: 13. You may not vote on this poll

avg. MPG lost with !CAT

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2003, 03:25 PM

avg. MPG lost with !CAT

Just takin a quick poll here to see what you guys loss MPG wise for those who went !CAT...
Old 02-14-2003, 03:49 PM

i dont know what your talking about, every mod i have done so far has gained me MPG. especially LT1 edit. once you know how to use it, you will gain a a signifigant amount. i get 13 city(that daytoan beach, you will sit at ligjts for hours) and over 30 during strickly highway.
Old 02-14-2003, 03:58 PM

well 90% of the guys I talked to on here about it said that you gained loudness and lost fuel economy. I just had mine removed today and want to know what to expect. If you gained then I would like to know that too.
Old 02-14-2003, 04:03 PM

generally if you decrease back pressure..you gain MPG. so if you remove your cats then you allow for improved exhaust flow which increases engine efficiency. same concept applies to headers and catbacks.
Old 02-14-2003, 04:06 PM

I have the single cat OBD I style 95, no O2 sensor after the cat. So deleting the cat won't/can't make my car run rich right? ( I was told it would and can't figure out how).

It's good to know that I will gain fuel economy off of this then. Like I posted before, from what I had read on here I was gonna lose some.

Any idea on HP/TRQ +/- ?
Old 02-14-2003, 04:19 PM

If making the exhuast less resrictive loses Hp
Then why dont ppl stuff potatos in the tail pipes? This should gain some right?

If you get less power or MPG, then something if wrong with your car. The more effecient your car is the more HP it will make per unit of fuel. thus, it requires less gas to obtain the required Hp to more the car at 70 for example. thus, more MPG
Old 02-14-2003, 04:27 PM

Originally posted by camarossguy2
If making the exhuast less resrictive loses Hp
Then why dont ppl stuff potatos in the tail pipes? This should gain some right?

If you get less power or MPG, then something if wrong with your car. The more effecient your car is the more HP it will make per unit of fuel. thus, it requires less gas to obtain the required Hp to more the car at 70 for example. thus, more MPG
Ok here's the deal, some cars actually lose performance when you reduce the backpressure too much, they need some, don't ask me why I'm not a car guru, but I have heard this many many times.

As far as the whole potatoe in the tailpipe bit...
I've heard on this board that removing the cat will make you lose your low end torque, it's a ligitimate question so dont be a jackass buddy...
Old 02-14-2003, 04:44 PM

Is that like a bananna in the tailpipe? The stock manifolds are the most restrictive things on these cars, so with stock manifolds, like my car, I noticed more power and torque, but it might fall off a tad when my Jet Hot longtubes come in, but a little blast from the bottle will surely cure that.
Old 02-14-2003, 04:48 PM

If anyone has lost MPG due to removing it I'd be supprised, unless they left an exaust leak somewhere in the mix.

I have heard about 7 HP gained from it, who really knows.
Old 02-14-2003, 04:50 PM

I was specifically talking about HP. And those ideas were not your own. you said that other people told you that a decrese in back pressure would make you lose power.

This about this, it is just a rational explanation for what all mod do and how HP is made.

The more efficeint a motor is, the more power it will make. so what are the current restiction on your motor? friction. One kinda of friction that you can do much about is internal. moving rods, cam, crank, lifters in the bores and the pistons all make a tone of friction. well that can really be eliminated or reduced cept for maybe roller lifters, roller rockers.....blah blah.
the other kinda is the friction of air flowing into, through, and out your engine. What does a intake do? a 58 mm TB? a cam? ported heads? headers? 1.6 ratio rockers? cat back? what all do they do? the reduce the friction of that airflow. now with just removing cats, you still got PLENTY of back pressure. My car has an extremely liltle amount of back pressure compare to a stock exhast system, do i make less power? noooo. I have a stock motor dyno over 300 with just LTs and a dyer hose intake.

seriously i would save your self the trouble and just buy some LTs and a no cats 3in ypipe. it is far superior to any shorty system. In respect to your cats, any power increase or decrease you feel will be physcological. with those stock manafolds and cat back, there no difference. When i had stock exhuast i just had mine gutted to make up for all the new lil honda echos and other LEV drivin around keeping the balance
Old 02-14-2003, 05:11 PM

What's LEV?

I know what your sayin about smoother airflow an reducin friction an all that...BUT there are mods that will increase HP and hurt gas mileage (ask the top fuel dragsters ). that's not the question I had though, I was wondering if this mod in particular would +/- fuel economy.
Old 02-14-2003, 05:21 PM

dude, the answer is simple. if you even see a difference..it will be better fuel economy. there is no possibly way you will run rich just taking off the cat. there are NO SENSORS behind your cat. even if you had a 96-97 car... all those O2 sensors behind that cats do is let you know the cats are there and working properly. this means they in no way affect fuel delivery like the front sensors do.

you were probably fed this bs about running rich because taking off your cat isnt entirely legal. its like when your mother tells you not to make ugly faces or it will get stuck that way
Old 02-14-2003, 06:09 PM

Originally posted by Greasepunk
What's LEV?
Low Emissions Vehicle
Old 02-14-2003, 06:54 PM

i gained 30miles/tank putting me up at 23mpg consistently; regular driving.
Old 02-14-2003, 08:00 PM

I answered the poll. Your only gonna get votes for 0. You won't lose any MPG.

Quick Reply: avg. MPG lost with !CAT