LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Anyone doing single or dual bullet on ORY, dumped at axle?

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2006, 08:04 PM

Anyone doing single or dual bullet on ORY, dumped at axle?

I wanna try and find a sound clip of a car with an exhaust like that.

Basicaly I am trying to build a cheaper, but very good flowing single exhaust. I thought of going straight form my 3" ORY to one or possibly two bullets in a row, or similar muffler ( So its not SUPER loud ) dumped at the rear axle with a 3" turn down.

I want something fast, and easy, to take on and off. That way if my garage doesnt want to sticker it, I go back to my catback, which they do sticker for me, get it inspected, then switch back in a hour or two.

True duals are too big of a pain to keep moving around.
Old 10-06-2006, 08:59 PM

Re: Anyone doing single or dual bullet on ORY, dumped at axle?

ill get that done for you tomorrow
i have pacesetter longtubes/ off road Y-pipe into a 3x18 dynomax bullet muffler.
i bought the muffler through summit and it came out to like 45 shipped IIRC.
u can go to auto or advance and buy the 12" for 25$.
i will get a pic and short vid for ya
Old 10-06-2006, 10:04 PM

I was thinking dual 12"ers to keep it quite enough I wont get harrased by the cops but ...

Let me know how much louder it is over your exhisted set up, and if its "obnoxiously" loud or not ... It seems to be the best bang for your buck, but I dont know how it will sound dumped under the car like that and everything ... Let me know how it goes.

Thanks
Old 10-07-2006, 11:55 AM

http://videos.camaroz28.com/video/ff...5300d2989b.htm
it seems quiet in the ved, which it isnt bad at idle. one rev was to 3k rpm, then after that i held it at 2k rpm for a few. WOT is when it is real loud.
Old 10-07-2006, 05:29 PM

I have a single dynomax bullet dumped before the axle. The exhaust doesnt really come up into the car unless you are in a drive through where the wall is really close to the car. To me its about as loud as a loudmouth catback, or a car with duals but no x-pipe. A loud ricer car (think: fart can) will be both louder and more annoying than your car. When you are flooring your car it will be much much louder than cruising, and it sounds pretty badass.

My only complaint is mounting the muffler in the rear. I suppose you could just let it hang off of the y-pipe, but I didn't like the idea of it bouncing around. I bought a muffler clamp that consists of two flat metal straps, with a flat piece of rubber that is riveted inbetween the two metal pieces. I trimmed it down, welded it to the muffler, and then bolted it up to the passenger's side of the driveshaft tunnel. Inside the car, the bolt comes out under the left side of the rear passnger's seat. It's pretty close to the top, but the seat covers it up. I need to revise the mounting, it causes mild vibration from 1500-1600 rpms, which unfortunately is 60-65mph in 6th gear, and 40mph in 5th gear with my 3.42's.

Two bullets will not fit. If you are using the pacesetter Y and the longer bullet, you will need to cut a couple of inches off of the y-pipe and probably cut alot off of the turndown, too. You will have to cut the turndown anyways since both it and the muffler are inside diameter pipe. Just cut it off to where it goes back down to 3" outside diameter and slide it into the muffler and weld!

I wish I had a camera or something to make a video or take pics for a better explanation, I'll try to locate one. I hope my rambling helped.

edit: I watched the video for the car above me and I wonder if he gets more exhaust in the car with no turndown. I used the turndown because I was concerned about the hot exhaust flowing directly around the gas tank, which killed my cavaliers fuel pump a couple of hundred miles after the muffler decided to go to a better place.

Last edited by mourningyou; 10-07-2006 at 05:33 PM.
Old 10-07-2006, 05:38 PM

i have the 18 inch on my car, is there a longer one?
i did not have to cut anything, if anything to make it shorter i just slid it on about 3 inches.
i only have a clamp and a hangar where it connects to the y-pipe ( u can see that in the vid ) and it does not move or vibrate at all. i did not put anything else on the back of the muffler, its as snug as can be without it.
Old 10-07-2006, 09:04 PM

Whats it sound like to drive around in?

Does it have a good tone like a chambered catback?
Old 10-07-2006, 09:20 PM

it is basically just a deep tone. not really raspy. it really dont have much character to it if u ask me.
with the stall it is kinda loud, but before that it didnt bother me that much.
Old 10-08-2006, 10:12 AM

To me, it has a really deep, full kind of sound. My brother's 84 monte carlo has an x-pipe and 40 series flowmasters, and compared to my car at idle his exhaust sounds a bit "hollow", the mufflers take out alot of the deep droning bass.

If you want the easiest solution, just get a cutout welded into the exhaust that you have now. It will cost the same as a bullet muffler, and you can uncap it when you want. Then when you get a little bit of cash later on, you can buy one of the electric cutout openers, which will just bolt on to the cut-out flange and give you the ability to go from quiet to really way too loud at the flick of a switch.

Another thing you have to take into account is that as your engine makes more power, your exhaust is going to get louder. My friend has a 96 trans am, it has a cc306 cam and most bolt-ons. His corsa catback is almost as loud as my bullet muffler setup.
Old 10-08-2006, 11:19 AM

Hmmm ... I wonder if I could squeeze a flowmaster race muffler under there, or something along that type ... Chambered, but small.
Old 10-08-2006, 01:18 PM

I just put a magnaflow muffler under there yesterday. offset inlet/center out. Tight fit. can't go over anyspeed bumps. but i like it. it sounds good. Better than my borla catback.
Old 10-08-2006, 06:48 PM

Originally Posted by Dennis93TA
I just put a magnaflow muffler under there yesterday. offset inlet/center out. Tight fit. can't go over anyspeed bumps. but i like it. it sounds good. Better than my borla catback.

could u get some pics of that for us? thanks
Old 10-08-2006, 07:14 PM

Here are 2 pics, I can get some video tomarrow just to get an idea of how it sounds. It's a little low but i have not had any issues yet. I installed it while the car was on ramps so the suspension was loaded. Then i had a buddy push the car up and down to make sure the TA or Drive shaft didn't come in contact. It's kinda redneck looking but it sounds good. I might have someone make a 3" pipe to go over the axle and move it there.

Old 10-08-2006, 07:38 PM

I wanna hear that bitch lol.

Thats kinda what I wanna do. I just need to find one of the smallest ( But still good sounding ) chambered mufflers I can, and a 3" turndown.
Old 10-08-2006, 08:38 PM

Originally Posted by HardcoreRM125
I wanna hear that bitch lol.

Thats kinda what I wanna do. I just need to find one of the smallest ( But still good sounding ) chambered mufflers I can, and a 3" turndown.
exactly what i want to do as well. i just needed something quick and i knew this muffler would work without issues.

but that magnaflow hangs down a lil to low for me. but would like to hear it!
wish there were more options of smaller mufflers with good sound

Quick Reply: Anyone doing single or dual bullet on ORY, dumped at axle?