LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Another problem after clutch install... car can't find idle

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2004, 12:48 PM

Angry Another problem after clutch install... car can't find idle

This is why I try to do as much as I can on my car instead of taking it somewhere. I took my car to a tranny shop to get my SLP clutch installed. I get a call and apparently the speedo wouldn't work. Went over and worked with them for a couple hours and couldn't find the problem. We are going to throw a new speed sensor in to see if that fixes it. Anyway...

Now another problem. The car can not find its idle. This is only when driving and I push in the clutch to stop. Its fine upon initial startup and when I rev it, it will find its idle. But when I'm driving and coming to a stop I'll push in the clutch. The RPMs will drop to about 500 and stay for a second or two. If I don't give it gas it will die. This happens every time. If I give it gas it does the same thing until eventually I help it find its idle by giving it gas little by little. It ran perfect before I took it in and all that was done was the clutch install. Any ideas why it can't find its idle? Does it have to do with the new clutch (not broken in possibly ) or is something else screwing it up? Any help is appreciated, right now I'm just so frustrated a simple clutch install has caused so many problems . I should of found the time to do it myself.

Thanks guys,

Bryan
Old 03-01-2004, 01:01 PM

its b/c of your cam.. you are still running the stock tb right?
Old 03-01-2004, 01:10 PM

Originally posted by turbo_Z
its b/c of your cam.. you are still running the stock tb right?
But it ran perfect before the clutch install. It found its idle 99% of the time. Why would putting a new clutch in change this??

Yes stock TB
Old 03-01-2004, 01:20 PM

Originally posted by ShelbyZ28
But it ran perfect before the clutch install. It found its idle 99% of the time. Why would putting a new clutch in change this??

Yes stock TB
well that is strange you only noticed the problem after the clutch install. how long did you drive the car before replacing the clutch? there would be no logical explaination for your clutch causing the idle problems you are describing.

heres what i think. if you have access to a scanner then hook it up and watch the IAC counts. they will probably be down low around 20-30 and as you stop what happens is that the tb blades close which chokes off the car. this is where the IAC comes into play.. it opens up to compensate for the lack of air flow. problem is that with your new cam there is a MUCH greater demand for air and the IAC is slow to react so your idle falls off. on a scanner like i said you will see the counts down around 30 as the car is choking but once the idle starts to climb back up you should notice the IAC counts increase as well.. my guess is way up into the 90-110 range. An easy way to fix this is to modify the TB since you have already modified everything else. what you do is simply pull it off the car and drill out the IAC bypass hole to about double the original size. its the small hole in the bottom of the tb, just below center.
Old 03-01-2004, 01:23 PM

Originally posted by turbo_Z
well that is strange you only noticed the problem after the clutch install. how long did you drive the car before replacing the clutch? there would be no logical explaination for your clutch causing the idle problems you are describing.

heres what i think. if you have access to a scanner then hook it up and watch the IAC counts. they will probably be down low around 20-30 and as you stop what happens is that the tb blades close which chokes off the car. this is where the IAC comes into play.. it opens up to compensate for the lack of air flow. problem is that with your new cam there is a MUCH greater demand for air and the IAC is slow to react so your idle falls off. on a scanner like i said you will see the counts down around 30 as the car is choking but once the idle starts to climb back up you should notice the IAC counts increase as well.. my guess is way up into the 90-110 range. An easy way to fix this is to modify the TB since you have already modified everything else. what you do is simply pull it off the car and drill out the IAC bypass hole to about double the original size. its the small hole in the bottom of the tb, just below center.
I drove the car for 5 months and like I said it found its idle 99% of the time. It only had problems when it was cold out. I guess I'll look into the IAC counts. Anyone else experience this problem or have any clue whats up?

Thanks