CamaroZ28.Com Message Board

CamaroZ28.Com Message Board (https://www.camaroz28.com/forums/)
-   LT1 Based Engine Tech (https://www.camaroz28.com/forums/lt1-based-engine-tech-9/)
-   -   All things being equal (https://www.camaroz28.com/forums/lt1-based-engine-tech-9/all-things-being-equal-298664/)

z-rated 97 09-06-2004 06:28 PM

All things being equal

If a lt1 and a ls1 were both producing the same #'s to the ground (lets say 350hp and 370tq), and were driven by the same person in identical weather conditions (basically all things being equal). What variance will there be in the 0-60, 1/4mi, and trap speed? :confused: (if any at all). . . . I ask this because I've read so much about the top end speed of the ls1 motor. If there's a difference, what is the cause/reason(s)? To my understanding all the specs between a 93-97 and 98-02 are the same (except the motor). Is it simply a more efficient motor? Why do so many prefer the ls1? It's definately faster stock but it also costs a few grands more to own one. I'm sure the answer to this can get very technical, but I'm very curious!

RamAir95TA 09-06-2004 06:32 PM

Re: All things being equal

Originally Posted by z-rated 97
If a lt1 and a ls1 were both producing the same #'s to the ground (lets say 350hp and 370tq), and were driven by the same person in identical weather conditions (basically all things being equal). What variance will there be in the 0-60, 1/4mi, and trap speed? :confused: (if any at all). . . . I ask this because I've read so much about the top end speed of the ls1 motor. If there's a difference, what is the cause/reason(s)? To my understanding all the specs between a 93-97 and 98-02 are the same (except the motor). Is it simply a more efficient motor? Why do so many prefer the ls1? It's definately faster stock but it also costs a few grands more to own one. I'm sure the answer to this can get very technical, but I'm very curious!

The peak HP and TQ of each motor will determine trap speed and ET. Generally, LS1 cylinder heads flow nearly 18% better than LT1 heads, which is why they really shine in the upper RPMs.

And I think this statement is the oxymoron of the day:

To my understanding all the specs between a 93-97 and 98-02 are the same (except the motor).
:)

z-rated 97 09-06-2004 06:45 PM

Originally Posted by RamAir95TA
The peak HP and TQ of each motor will determine trap speed and ET. Generally, LS1 cylinder heads flow nearly 18% better than LT1 heads, which is why they really shine in the upper RPMs.

And I think this statement is the oxymoron of the day:

:)

:p . . . .You're right! :D . . . . .what I was trying to say was that they both use the same tranny, suspension, wheels/tires, curb weight being about equal, etc.!!! :D

RamAir95TA 09-06-2004 07:02 PM

Originally Posted by Shackleford
The transmissions aren't exactly the same.

Gearing and internals of both A4 and M6 transmissions are identical. The only difference is the bellhousing.

So...they are the same.