LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Is it at all possible?!?!?

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2009, 10:00 PM

Is it at all possible?!?!?

For a loose rocker to cause a "hesitation" or a "lag," if you will, in a shift?

I have a CPT Pro Race 4L60E, prior to all the BS, and a Pro Yank Extreme 3600 converter. Both installed at the same time, fallowed Yank's break in procedure for the converter. They have maybe 7000 miles on them, at most.

I was checking for any loose rockers a while back when I was having another issue. I accidentally broke a polly lock, don't ask lol... anyways replaced the polly lock and readjusted that valve. For some reason that rocker keeps coming loose, hopefully correcting this tomorrow.

Anyways on to the real issue now that you have the background. When I notice that the rocker has once again worked its way loose is when it seems that the car wants to "lag" on the 2-3 shift. So I am wondering if there is any way that the two could be related so when I fix the rocker problem this "lag" will go away, or if that sounds ridiculous and it's just a coincidence and there is a different problem that I need to start looking in to?

This trans/converter/motor combination has yet to be sprayed, nor has any single component in the equation. I really want to get the car back to the track and see what it will do on motor since I did the LTCC and junked my twisted and bent panhard rod for a BMR Tubular Adjustable one. Then I want to spray the car, but I am not going to do so if I need to start looking in to a separate trans issue.

TIA,
Eddie
Old 11-06-2009, 10:18 AM

Ironically, I have the same problem. My trans (Performabuilt) shifts about 600rpm early on the 2-3 shift. I've done a search and can't find the issue, although I'm thinking it may be TPS-related.
Old 11-06-2009, 02:32 PM

Okay, adjusted the rocker for the last time hopefully. I used a new polly lock and new locking nut.

Tranny issue is solved as well, but that was a separate issue. Two grounds on the head where the main ground strap is were sheared off. Replaced the eyelet and re-ground everything and trans is back to shifting perfect.

I might make it out to the track tonight if I can get a hold of some Mickey Thompson DR's. The car annihilates Nitto DR's so it would be pointless to bring it out on them, they are a great street tire though, lol.
Old 11-06-2009, 11:37 PM

Okay, so I jumped the gun on the trans issue. I guess I need to start tracking that down or start saving up for another trans... lame. I did notice tonight that there is a belt squeal type sound that coincides with this issue though.
Old 11-07-2009, 06:59 AM

?

Is the rocker loosening up or is it the cam lobe going away?
Old 11-07-2009, 05:14 PM

It was the rocker loosening. So far so good on that, doesn't seem to be loosening this time.