LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Are all LT1's the same?

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2005, 10:32 PM

Are all LT1's the same?

The reason I am asking this is beacause I recently developed what I thought was a rod knock in my 95 Z28 camaro. But upon pulling the pan I realized immediately that I had a bent connecting rod. It actually still ran but I turned it off immediately. I dont know what caused it.

Anyway I told my friend and he knows a guy with an LT1 from a 1995 Imapla SS. And it has 60,000 miles and runs good. Is comes complete with everything even the tranny.

What I want to know is will my wiring harness hook right up to what is on that engine? Would I have to use my intake and exhaust manifolds? How about the oil pan? And my last question is would my m6 tranny bolt up to fine?

I would like to know pretty soon because he might sell the engine soon.

thanks for any help, will
Old 02-03-2005, 10:42 PM

Re: Are all LT1's the same?

i am not sure about the harness but the caprice and impala heads are cast where as the f body and vette heads are aluminum. your tranny should bolt up fine to the block. you should definately be able to use the block and rotating assembly though, you will just have to put your heads on it, and exhaust manifolds i'm pretty sure. your old engine should make a good donor for everythink that is different. i am not for sure but it is something to check into, the oil pan is probably different, but yours will work off your z on the imps motor, and the ac might be in a different spot, and the pulley setup is probably different. you should be able to switch everything over from you blown up motor to the imp motor no prob.
Old 02-03-2005, 10:44 PM

impala SS lt1 has iron heads, so don't use those, since f-bodies have aluminums. if you really like you short block and think your motor is not hurt, just replace the rod. but internally, the impala ss and the f-body lt1 is the same as far as i know. i'd use the short block of the impala and use your heads. but yes, it should connect right up electrically.
Old 02-03-2005, 11:23 PM

The impala/carprice LT1 has a more mild cam grind. Other than that they are the same internally. Intake manifold is the same - tranny will bolt up fine. Good luck.
Old 02-04-2005, 12:21 AM

The standard engine in the '94-'96 Caprice was a "baby" LT1 (265 CID) according to this information...

http://www.automotiverebuilder.com/ar/ar99928.htm
Old 02-04-2005, 02:53 AM

Yeah, thats the standard engine in the Caprice, not the Impala SS. Impy got the good ole 350, just with iron heads compared to the F-Bodies and Vettes Aluminium heads. And got a lil different cam for more low end torque.
Old 02-04-2005, 04:27 PM

Originally Posted by eagleknight97
Yeah, thats the standard engine in the Caprice, not the Impala SS. Impy got the good ole 350, just with iron heads compared to the F-Bodies and Vettes Aluminium heads.
True, but I didn't say that it was the standard engine in the Impala SS. The title of the thread is "are all LT1s the same?" The answer is no, they're not.
Old 02-04-2005, 04:47 PM

Originally Posted by jimlab
True, but I didn't say that it was the standard engine in the Impala SS. The title of the thread is "are all LT1s the same?" The answer is no, they're not.
WOW..being a jerk about it aint ya ? He was just trying to help. If He didnt know the diff between the LT1's maybe Ideazz thought he would give him additional insight on the engines.
Seems like if He didnt know there was a diff in heads then he may not know about the Baby LT1 either.
Not trying to be a Dick..Just saying...Chill out

Last edited by robb4964; 02-04-2005 at 04:54 PM.
Old 02-04-2005, 06:04 PM

Originally Posted by jimlab
The baby LT1 wasn't an LT1 at all...it was actually the L99 engine. The caprice also could be bought with an LT1 and was part of the 9C1 package.
Old 02-04-2005, 06:06 PM

Originally Posted by indieaz
The baby LT1 wasn't an LT1 at all...it was actually the L99 engine. The caprice also could be bought with an LT1 and was part of the 9C1 package.
no it wasn't... base engine thru the caprice line was the L99. Doesn't matter if it was 9C1 or 9C6 or civillian.... base engine was 4.3V8

El TiJuan was an option for the caprice.
Old 02-04-2005, 06:24 PM

no it wasn't... base engine thru the caprice line was the L99
Yes, the base engine was the L99. Isn't that was I just said? On top of the L99 being the BASE engine any caprice could be bought with an LT1. And the LT1 was part of hte 9C1 package. Did your ead my post at all?
Old 02-04-2005, 06:42 PM

Anyhoo, no they are not all the same, 96 and newer f-body lt1's have a different cam and most also have a slightly different head, as evident by a pair I sold a while back that came off a '96 firebird. apparently, the later heads, are preferable for porters, which is what these heads were used for. This, of course, in addition to the caprice/impala variations with iron heads vice aluminum. Oil pans will be different as will exhaust manifolds.

But back to why you're doing all this to begin with, why not just swap out rods with stock or similar? It would be a good time for new rings, bearings etc instead of chancing a motor of unknown origin/mechanical reliability. Especially if you're not a mechanic, imo. Good luck.
Old 02-04-2005, 06:58 PM

Impy oil pan is the same, impy uses the same oil pan as fbody.

Impy has two knock sensors. But you should use all the sensors off your block
to avoid compatiblity problems.
Old 02-04-2005, 10:11 PM

If you do replace your motor with one using an automatic trans, you will need to install a pilot bushing/bearing in the rear of the crank.
Old 02-04-2005, 10:46 PM

Originally Posted by robb4964
WOW..being a jerk about it aint ya ? He was just trying to help.
So was I, only to be contradicted and then corrected for something I read off the page I linked to.

Not trying to be a Dick...
But doing a rather good job of it nonetheless. Keep up the good work.

Quick Reply: Are all LT1's the same?