LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

? for all the lt1 guys about loudness

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2003, 04:18 PM

Originally posted by lt4 fd

lol and with a name like tripintaz who are you making fun of for being a stoner, not saying you are but just something to think about..... maybe your not serious
what are you trying to imply? for your information

TriPinTaZ= Tazmanian devil in the old cartoons where he trips out and goes crazy spining thru trees. This was the basis for my screename which ive had for 6 years. Hence TriPin TaZ

And im sorry that we were mean to him but that has to be one of the top 10 stupidest questions ever.
Old 05-07-2003, 04:30 PM

geez, a lot of you guys are so quick to get on the high horse..

I don't agree weith wanting a car that's "loud and bad azz", but that's just what he wants. As for the SS badging, he paid for his car, he can call it what he wants. I think I'll call my "camaro z28" just a "camaro", and take the z28 badges off (implying that its the v6 model), and nobody would have any qualms about that.

Anyway, just tell him - SS badging on a z28 is not "right", and an lt4 km should have no effect on sound. He probably has an exhaust leak or vaccum leak that slowly affected his LTtrims and richened up the mixture.. when he took out his PCM, it probably reset it.

He never insulted any of you guys personally, even in his replies, but you guys continued to get personal and insult him about his personal life (weed smoking), which is a personal decision and has nothing to do with his car or the question asked..

man, some of you guys just need to chill out.
Old 05-07-2003, 04:43 PM

Simply put, an LT4 KM does not effect the exhaust note.
Old 05-07-2003, 05:53 PM

"#1, puttign better parts on your car doesnt make it an SS....If I mod my Trans-Am enough can i call it a Pontiac Ferarri ????"

That wasn't a very good comparison in my opinion. Maybe adding WS6 badging would be a better comparison.

I dont think taking off your Z28 badging and putting on SS badging is cool, but I have seen some pretty nice custom ones where they first laid down a vinyl "Super Sport" in a script looking font and put the Z28 badging on top [not to cover up the Super Sport part though.]

It looked pretty unique and didn't make it look like an impersonation. If I put a ram-air hood and a bunch of mods on my car, I would probably do something similar to that. I love SS's and their individual numbering, but like he said - he could buy a Z28 and add the other stuff after and save some cash.
Old 05-07-2003, 06:47 PM

I don't suppose that some of y'all ever considered an anger management class...???

Therapy??? Therapy??? THERAPY!!!

Old 05-07-2003, 06:48 PM

Originally posted by mineralwater
geez, a lot of you guys are so quick to get on the high horse..

I don't agree weith wanting a car that's "loud and bad azz", but that's just what he wants. As for the SS badging, he paid for his car, he can call it what he wants. I think I'll call my "camaro z28" just a "camaro", and take the z28 badges off (implying that its the v6 model), and nobody would have any qualms about that.

Anyway, just tell him - SS badging on a z28 is not "right", and an lt4 km should have no effect on sound. He probably has an exhaust leak or vaccum leak that slowly affected his LTtrims and richened up the mixture.. when he took out his PCM, it probably reset it.

He never insulted any of you guys personally, even in his replies, but you guys continued to get personal and insult him about his personal life (weed smoking), which is a personal decision and has nothing to do with his car or the question asked..

man, some of you guys just need to chill out.
Perhaps you're a Stoner too ?
Old 05-07-2003, 06:54 PM

Originally posted by TriPinTaZ
Perhaps you're a Stoner too ?
i don't see what that has to do with anything, as we're trying to talk about lt4kms, but no, i am not a stoner.
Old 05-07-2003, 07:31 PM

Location: Albuquerque,NM--5,600 feet above you sea-level cats
Originally posted by TriPinTaZ
#1, puttign better parts on your car doesnt make it an SS....If I mod my Trans-Am enough can i call it a Pontiac Ferarri ????

#2 Knock module does not have any effect on sound, you must have been stoned or something and put the caps back on your cut offs and forgot about it. Look under your car....Oh Also If the car was in a garage or carport when you thought it was louder than it is now that would be a reason. Tall buildings and garages make the cars exhaust resonate and sound louder......

#3...if #2 does nto apply then you have a littel green leaprachaun hiding in your Flowmaster stealing all your exhaust sounds and smoking a DooBie
You guy's are too funny. LOL
Old 05-07-2003, 07:36 PM

Yes and no it will change your exhaust tone.

With the cutout and stock KM, your getting false knock retard, thus changing your timing.

The LT4 eliminates this and gives you more consistant timing advance.

I know this because I had two PCMs, one for nitrous and one for all motor usage. The nitrous computer had 32* of timing at WOT, and the all motor computer has 37*.

There was a definate change in pitch of the exhaust between the two computers, but not in loudness so much.

If you want it louder and you think by going to the stock KM, go for it, but you'll be slightly slower.
Old 05-08-2003, 12:35 AM

Originally posted by Kain
Yes and no it will change your exhaust tone.

With the cutout and stock KM, your getting false knock retard, thus changing your timing.

The LT4 eliminates this and gives you more consistant timing advance.

I know this because I had two PCMs, one for nitrous and one for all motor usage. The nitrous computer had 32* of timing at WOT, and the all motor computer has 37*.

There was a definate change in pitch of the exhaust between the two computers, but not in loudness so much.

If you want it louder and you think by going to the stock KM, go for it, but you'll be slightly slower.
first off i want to say thank you for giving me a answer for the ? in hand but i would love to hear more about this by other motor heads like people that have been on the board for a while
Old 05-08-2003, 12:42 AM

Originally posted by Dmx4ever3
first off i want to say thank you for giving me a answer for the ? in hand but i would love to hear more about this by other motor heads like people that have been on the board for a while
heres an idea. put the LT1 KM back in and you will see it makes no difference which KM you have. all the LT4 KM does is help prevent false knock retard which you probably dont have anyway. basically anybody who knows anything about the LT4 KM has the authority to tell you it makes no difference to your exhaust note.
Old 05-08-2003, 08:38 AM

Originally posted by ArcticYT95TA
You change your thermostat from 180 in the winter, to a 160 in the summer? OMG, that is about the funniest thing I have heard in a long time

PS - Lay off on the smokin up....your brain, along with your typing skills, are showing signs of competing with a 4th grader.
I do this too. With my 160 in the winter it takes forever to get heat. What's the problem?
Old 05-08-2003, 10:20 AM

It's time for me to jump on this bandwagon...changing from LT1-LT4 KM can change your exhaust tone-and will depending on your mods. If you had an lt1 Km after your headers and catback it will be louder because of retard that causes unspent gases to be higher and thus the exhaust would be cooler per say due to the gases. When you put in your lt4 module it did not retard as much thus making the timing more efficient and causing a hotter gasflow thru the exhaust and toning it down a bit. When we start our cars and they are cold they are much louder then when it is warmed up. And smoking pot recreationally is not a bad thing--just like people who drink recreationally. My cousin is a serious pothead and it does make you stupid if you smoke constantly. He is dummer then shiznit. But anyways if your car was running rich from false knock your exhaust would be louder. Plus you reset your pcm and any codes that were temporararily stored were wiped and the car ran normal again.

Last edited by grygst76; 05-08-2003 at 10:25 AM.
Old 05-08-2003, 10:38 AM

Maybe it's as simple as you got used to the sound. I don't realize how loud my car is anymore unless I cap it up for a few days or drive another vehicle for a little while. Try running around capped up for a day or two and then uncap it and see if you notice anything...... Or what those smart car guys said.
Old 05-08-2003, 11:43 AM

FWIW I was trying to help and not attempting to beat you up. If my post was taken wrong, I apologize.

Quick Reply: ? for all the lt1 guys about loudness