LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

All guys with 1.6rr's what route did you go??

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2004, 11:39 PM

All guys with 1.6rr's what route did you go??

Well I got some extra cash and am wanting to get some 1.6rr's. Here is the thing
I want self aligning just b/c I believe that will be easier. So here is my question

What brand would you guys suggest??
Where would you buy them from??
and What all do I need for installation??(such as do I need new pushrods if so what kind and where to buy??)

Any bit of info you can give will be appreciated

Secondly I am wanting some type of easy programming and the other day I was watching horsepower tv and they had an ls1 camaro and they went the supership route I believe just the plug in type. They called in and superships made a special module for their application anybody else go that route if so how did it work if now what do you think. Thanks guys for all your help

O and what kind of hp increase will I be seeing with the above mods??
Old 07-26-2004, 11:44 PM

Thumbs up Re: All guys with 1.6rr's what route did you go??

LT4 RR and Spring
Cheap and Good
U can use Factory Valve Cover
Old 07-26-2004, 11:56 PM

Re: All guys with 1.6rr's what route did you go??

cc pro mag 1.6 rockers with ARP 7/16 studs with gm guideplates.
Old 07-27-2004, 12:11 AM

alright so I am thinking this

cc pro mags 1.6rr's
LT4 springs
and ARP 7/16 studs

Now I thought I only needed guideplates if they were non self aligning am I wrong?? Another thing where would be the best place on the next to purchase these items??(Good prices)

Also what about that tuning idea I figured if it runs worse with the tune I could always just unplug it and mark it up as a loss or send it back and tell them how it is running.
Old 07-27-2004, 12:21 AM

I know you said Self aligning so forget what that guy above said. I would say if you plan to upgrade your cam down the road to NOT use the lt4 RR/springs. Those are ONLY designed for a stock cam or lt4 hotcam. If you go any bigger in the cam down the road, you'll need to upgrade your springs also. So it's up to you...
Old 07-27-2004, 12:24 AM

ok well I haven't seen any 7/16 that are self aligning??

are non self aligning better??

also is there a big difference between 3/8" and 7/16"??
Old 07-27-2004, 01:00 AM

Crane Gold SA
Old 07-27-2004, 01:11 AM

1.6 Pro Mags
7/16 rockers
LT4 springs
GMPP guideplates
Stock program
Old 07-27-2004, 05:26 AM

Originally Posted by speed76demon
ok well I haven't seen any 7/16 that are self aligning??

are non self aligning better??

also is there a big difference between 3/8" and 7/16"??
All the self aligning roller rockers I have ever seen got tore up in short order. Stick with the non self aligning and use guide plates. Be sure to check when going to a higher ratio that the push rods don't contact the heads. Also be sure to check the length. Use this page http://www.compcams.com/Technical/Cu...ML/306-307.asp

The larger the studs the less flexing that occurs and therefore more accurate lift.

BUD M, your picture doesn't work. Either that or we must be a member of yahoo which I don't plan on doing.
Old 07-27-2004, 05:40 AM

Originally Posted by RedHottG2
cc pro mag 1.6 rockers with ARP 7/16 studs with gm guideplates.
Yep. I initially was running SA 1.6 Pro Mags, but when I had six of them get the alignment tabs chewed off, NSA only after that. And after seeing how much more sturdy the setup seems to be, I'm not going anything but the above setup now.
Old 07-27-2004, 05:54 AM

Will these RR's work with our lt1's. They are from summitracing.com. Heres the part number SUM-141507. THey are only 99. Im guessing they are non-self-aligning. Is that better?????? I would also get the guidplates and lt4 springs if i got these. Plus some retainers. Anything else that i would need???
Old 07-27-2004, 06:50 AM

I have over 30K on probably the cheapest SA roller rockers made, the ProForms, 20K of that with a mild cam and stiffer than LT4 springs. That said I would recommend the Comp ProMagnum SA rockers and LT4 springs if you plan to keep the stock cam, if you plan a later cam upgrade maybe savea buck and just setup the valvetrain right now instead of doing it twice. In which case the 7/16ths studs and non-SA rockers look like a good idea. Given the inexpensive price and the fact that springs should be matched to a cam I woul still say go with the LT4 till you swap in a new cam.

On the tuning since you have a 94 you can get true custom tuning for real cheap from madz28 or pcmforless($60-75) and get a cable(at most $95) to load it into the pcm yourself and still save a ton of money over a a plugin Hypertech/superchip sort of thing, not to mention I looked at several sites and can not find a Superchips tuner for a 94-5 Camaro this is likely because of how cheap it is to program these though other sources.
Old 07-27-2004, 07:47 AM

Comp 987's
7/16 studs
NSA 1.6 pro mags
hardened pushrods (some LT1's come stock with them)

I have experience with LT4 springs and they SUCK. No doubt about it. You get what you pay for. They floated on my LT4 hotcam! I've heard of them breaking and falling apart on other people. I think they're safe use is in a stock rebuild. First things first, when I get home they're coming OUT. If you aren't pulling your heads, then opt for combo motorsports single spring (dont know the number, I think it's a 612). Fits without machining. If you pull the heads I'd recommend going to the 987 since the bigger spring offers more stability but requires machine work to open the spring seats. I think both springs are good for .600". You dont really want SA rockers in a performance application...I've seen nothing but bad things from them and SA isn't any more difficult than NSA...go together the same way. I tend to think SA rockers are a thing car companies to to cheapen production on stock engines where it doesn't really matter. Just my $.02

What kind of cam are you going to run? Or are you just doing roller rockers and fresh springs now? Either way you'll be good for a healthy cam with either of those sets of springs. Good luck!

Last edited by dhirocz; 07-27-2004 at 07:49 AM. Reason: error
Old 07-27-2004, 10:15 AM

Where would be a good place to buy from??

Also what kind of hp gain??
Old 07-27-2004, 10:23 AM

Originally Posted by jasons93z
Will these RR's work with our lt1's. They are from summitracing.com. Heres the part number SUM-141507. THey are only 99. Im guessing they are non-self-aligning. Is that better?????? I would also get the guidplates and lt4 springs if i got these. Plus some retainers. Anything else that i would need???

Those are roller tip only, not the full rollers. Spend the extra $100 and get the summit brand full rollers, Proforms or a little more coin for the Cranes.

Quick Reply: All guys with 1.6rr's what route did you go??