LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

air pump removal Q's

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2003, 04:11 PM

air pump removal Q's

http://www.geocities.com/MotorCity/6...3/egrpipes.htm

I have already read that so don't post it :P

i am just wondering, does anyone have a picture of the airpump so i know what im spose to unbolt!

Also any side effects from doing this??
Old 03-30-2003, 06:31 PM

Why do you want to remove something that you don't know what it looks like or realize its function? Just curious.
Old 03-30-2003, 06:44 PM

Originally posted by anaik
Why do you want to remove something that you don't know what it looks like or realize its function? Just curious.
Exactly, what he said above. Why would you want to take it off?? Just for fun? It has absolutely no bearing on the performance of your engine. It just pumps clean air from your intake tube into the exhaust to help out your catalytic converter with emissions. If you take your cat. off then the is no point to having it, but if you have all your emissions there is no point in removing it.
Old 03-30-2003, 06:55 PM

weight reduction....

i heard it serves no purpose except for the beggining few minutes your car is on. and i can always easily bolt that back on myself no?? why not take 5 or 10pounds or whatever it weighs off the car.
Old 03-30-2003, 06:56 PM

Originally posted by DiabloZ
Exactly, what he said above. Why would you want to take it off?? Just for fun? It has absolutely no bearing on the performance of your engine. It just pumps clean air from your intake tube into the exhaust to help out your catalytic converter with emissions. If you take your cat. off then the is no point to having it, but if you have all your emissions there is no point in removing it.
In your profile, it says you are located in Momtana. What are the coordinates of that state?
Old 03-30-2003, 07:11 PM

Originally posted by bachehbad
weight reduction....

i heard it serves no purpose except for the beggining few minutes your car is on. and i can always easily bolt that back on myself no?? why not take 5 or 10pounds or whatever it weighs off the car.
The AIR pump probably weighs one pound, it's plastic.
Old 03-30-2003, 07:11 PM

Originally posted by bachehbad
weight reduction....

I doubt the whole system weighs in at 3 lbs. Then considering that 100lbs lighter will only net you one tenth in the quarter I just think it's pointless. Just make sure you take a dump before you race your car and you'll get the same times.
Old 03-30-2003, 07:15 PM

Originally posted by anaik
In your profile, it says you are located in Momtana. What are the coordinates of that state?
By the way I'm not telling were Montana is. The Californians figured it out and they move here buy the hoards. It's like an invasion. Less people that know the better.
Old 03-30-2003, 07:17 PM

Yeah Yeah

I would say the air pump weighs about 5 pounds... I was surprized at its weight when I took it off. The was actually a little bit of water and quite a bit of carbon on the inside of the lines of mine. I have no cat so saw no point in having it.
Old 03-30-2003, 07:32 PM

Originally posted by DiabloZ
By the way I'm not telling were Montana is. The Californians figured it out and they move here buy the hoards. It's like an invasion. Less people that know the better.
I understand what you're saying. I used to live in Tacoma WA, beautiful country.
Old 04-13-2003, 02:42 PM

Do I have those metal lines from the air pump on my '93?
Old 04-13-2003, 03:15 PM

Will it throw any codes or an SES if you remove it? I already have a gutted CAT, and no emissions checks here in FL. Plus I hate the way it sounds. Are there any cons at all to taking it out?
Old 04-13-2003, 03:25 PM

the air pump it self ways basically nothing unless you dont have a cat dont take it off, can cause your computer to throw codes.
Old 04-13-2003, 04:56 PM

Originally posted by 1994CamaroZ28
the air pump it self ways basically nothing unless you dont have a cat dont take it off, can cause your computer to throw codes.
Shouldn't cause any codes or problems in a OBD1 car. Just the 96 + OBD2 cars have rear O2 sensors after the cat to monitor how the emissions junk is working. They will throw codes if it's out of wack to let you know something is wrong with your emissions. If you get rid of your cat and AIR system on those cars your have to get rear O2 simulators to make the PCM think it is all O.K.
Although like I said before It would be pretty pointless to remove unless you don't have a cat or it is broke and you don't HAVE to pay to fix it. Unless of course weight reduction...HAAA..HAA..HA..HA.. Oh sorry I couldn't control myself...
Old 04-14-2003, 07:03 AM

On a 93 ONLY, the air pump is located on the drivers side off of the front of the engine. It is mounted to the frame on a bracket. There are also no hard lines.

Quick Reply: air pump removal Q's