LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

advise a clutch disk

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2004, 12:41 PM

advise a clutch disk

I know this probably belongs in the Drivetrain forum, but not many people respond over there...so move it if you need to...

Can someone advise a clutch disk for me? I know that SLP carries one for around $100 but wasn't sure of the differences in quality...

Thanks!
Old 01-22-2004, 03:41 PM

I've got my M6 conversion kit setting in the garage and have been mulling over which clutch to get as well. I've decided to just go with the SLP PP & Disc since I dont go to the track much (once since I got the car in 99) and the car is a daily driver and I would really hate to have a clutch with poor street manners. Alot of people say the Street Twin is a strong clutch with great street manners, but it would break my wallet and probably my puny 10 bolt as well.

-Tony
Old 01-22-2004, 03:45 PM

The SLP setup is a nice setup.
Old 01-22-2004, 03:47 PM

Yeah I'm in the same boat as you. A buddy of mine has a Centerforce dual friction in his 1995 and I really like how it drives on the road. What I'm looking for more specifically is a clutch disk...I saw that SLP had one for $100...if I decide to go with a new clutch, do most of them come with clutch disks or what?
Old 01-22-2004, 03:49 PM

Are you looking for just a disc or a disc and pressure plate? I saw in your other post your switching from an A4 to M6. I'm using SLP's clutch package. The disc, pp, & to bearing came to around $360. The disc by itself is $89. Their pp is a lightened LT4 pp which is very nice but the disc is just a stock LT1 disc. It's a nice combo for a street car but if you run it at the track a lot you may want something stronger. I've got 10k miles on it and made over 50 hard passes with it and it's still holding up ok although I'd like something that grabs a little harder. I'm probably going to switch out the disc soon for a Mcleod single disc with the SLP pp. The Mcleod is supposed to be stronger and grab harder than the stock disc. Another nice clutch for the money are the SPEC clutches, something else to consider.
Old 01-22-2004, 03:55 PM

I believe that it comes with the pressure plate, I just need the clutch disk...

I have never been to the track so I don't need a real catchy clutch...just something thatll get me by with my every-day driving and a bit of racing...
Old 01-22-2004, 04:09 PM
Super Moderator

Re: advise a clutch disk

Originally posted by FacelessZ
I know this probably belongs in the Drivetrain forum, but not many people respond over there...so move it if you need to...
Have you tried over there yet?

We pretty much need to use the correct forums. Using the logic of more people read this forum then there really would be no need to have multiple forums because everyone would post their questions in this one However, if people who are trying to get an answer and are having trouble in one forum, so long as they mention they tried but didn't get a good answer, I'll normally leave them here. This happens a lot with nitrous related questions. We have a forum for that but there are a number of guys who know about nitrous but don't read that forum (only this one) and respond with good answers when the questions are posted here. HOWEVER, we still need to make an attempt to use the correct forum first. Thanks!
Old 01-22-2004, 04:10 PM

Re: Re: advise a clutch disk

Originally posted by Brent94Z
Have you tried over there yet?

We pretty much need to use the correct forums. Using the logic of more people read this forum then there really would be no need to have multiple forums because everyone would post their questions in this one However, if people who are trying to get an answer and are having trouble in one forum, so long as they mention they tried but didn't get a good answer, I'll normally leave them here. This happens a lot with nitrous related questions. We have a forum for that but there are a number of guys who know about nitrous but don't read that forum (only this one) and respond with good answers when the questions are posted here. HOWEVER, we still need to make an attempt to use the correct forum first. Thanks!
Sorry about that Brent.

Old 01-22-2004, 04:12 PM

Here is a pic of what comes with SLP's package in case you weren't sure: the pressure plate & throw out bearing, disc and pilot bearing. It would be a nice setup for a daily driver and will take some good abuse on the street, it feels very much like stock.

(The disc in that pic is actually an LT4 disc, looks the same as an LT1 but without the center springs, I switched it out for SLP's disc shortly after installing it)

Last edited by GREGG 97Z; 02-16-2010 at 08:54 PM. Reason: personal
Old 01-22-2004, 04:16 PM

Originally posted by GREGG 97Z
Here is a pic of what comes with SLP's package in case you weren't sure: the pressure plate & throw out bearing, disc and pilot bearing. It would be a nice setup for a daily driver and will take some good abuse on the street, it feels very much like stock.

(The disc in that pic is actually an LT4 disc, looks the same as an LT1 but without the center springs, I switched it out for SLP's disc shortly after installing it)
Looks pretty good to me. I know a whole lot of nothin' about T56's or clutches, so I've just gone from what I've driven and researched...

How much did you say that package was? You found it as a good overall package?

Thanks!
Old 01-22-2004, 04:16 PM

Gregg did the SLP kit come with the pilot bearing? I wasn't aware that it did.

-Tony
Old 01-22-2004, 04:29 PM

FacelessZ, I actually just bought the PP & TO bearing from them, that was $260, then I bought their disc later for $89. This was about two years ago, price may have changed. It's held up very good for me so far and like I said I ran it at the track pretty hard on drag radials every time. I ran the time below with it at the end of the year and it's still holding.

Mistic, actually I dont think the pilot bearing came with it now that I think of it, I bought that seperately for $5 or so.
Old 01-22-2004, 04:34 PM

Originally posted by Mystic95Z
Gregg did the SLP kit come with the pilot bearing? I wasn't aware that it did.

-Tony
I just purchased and installed the SLP PP, TObearing and disk in my car. It did not come with a pilot bearing.

I purchased the pilot bearing at a local parts store. it was very cheap. They offered two different kinds. A solid one or a 'heavy duty' one with rollerbearings.

I got the heavy duty one, even though the stock one I removed was solid.

Use wet tiolet paper, a proper socket, extension and hammer to remove the old one. It is a piece of cake, and there is not a mess!
Old 01-22-2004, 04:57 PM

waco brake and clutch. on 8th and webster. tell the guy there (richard) that you want a solid disc clutch and a lt4 pp, and a through out bearing. and you can have them put what ever kind pads you want on it. its a six button clutch. and i think after all its only about 323 for all of it. and its about. and you can get there buy going toward franklin ave. on university parks drive. go under 35 about 4 blocks that road is webster go down it till you get to eighth street. it will be on your right. you cant miss it.
Old 01-22-2004, 05:05 PM

That's cool...I may have to check them out. I have a buddy of mine that is very good with T56's and has done a swap or two doing everything for me. I figure we can get everything out and install the T56 in a day or two...

Anybody selling a 6 speed shifter plate or shifter?

Quick Reply: advise a clutch disk