LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Adjusting TPS

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2006, 07:24 PM

Re: Adjusting TPS

@ WOT it seemed to stop pulling whenever the SES light came on.
Old 05-17-2006, 07:27 PM

Did it shift funny? Was everything normal afterwards? Sorry for all the questions just trying to pinpoint my tps problem which seems to be the same.
Old 05-17-2006, 08:52 PM

Originally Posted by Honda Hunter
Did it shift funny? Was everything normal afterwards? Sorry for all the questions just trying to pinpoint my tps problem which seems to be the same.
It seemed to shift a little earlier from 3-4.
Old 05-17-2006, 08:56 PM

Alright. Hopefully I can get mine adjusted today and see if it helps. Mine shifts to second 3000 rpms early. Thanks for the info.
Old 08-16-2021, 08:29 PM

i'm having trouble with mine (P0122 code from OBD2) and can't seem to figure it out. questions:

1) how do you "index" the tps onto the throttle body blade? the tps pretty much only goes on one way. the only "indexing" i could see is if you have to open to WOT, put the tps on and let the blade pull it back as it closes, but i don't see any mention of any such procedure like that anywhere here.

2) shouldn't you be able to take the tps off, and with it connected up and the voltmeter probes attached see correct readings using a screwdriver blade to turn the tps actuator? when i do this, i am getting a reading of 0.035 volts, and it doesn't seem to be doing much of anything when i rotate the actuator with a screwdriver. it sure as hell isn't getting anywhere close to 4 volts in any position.

3) does anybody have a picture of a modified (i.e., "slotted") tps illustrating how to modify the tps properly for adjustment? if there is one i haven't seen it...

sure would be great if there was a YT video showing the entire operation from start to finish. if there is one, i haven't managed to find it yet...
Old 08-16-2021, 10:23 PM

i think i might have figured out my problem; we'll see shortly.

i looked at the position of the throttle blade 'cam' that engages the tps, and it is almost horizontal with the edge toward the rear of the car just slightly higher (due to adjusting the throttle blades just slightly open for a better idle with the larger injectors and throttle body). as the throttle is opened more, it rotates counter-clockwise (as viewed from the driver's side looking across the engine bay to the passenger side). now if i hold the tps in my hand and simulate the throttle blade cam movement with a large flat blade screwdriver i can readily see that the tps, if just mounted straight to the throttle body will never be engaged by throttle movement. the cam will just rotate its full range of travel without ever engaging the tps armature. AHA! so - it all makes sense now. i -do- have to manipulate ("index") the tps when i mount it so that the tps tabs engage the cam and then rotate it into mounting position so that in the "throttle fully closed" position it has partially rotated the tps armature. i bet that when that is done, the low voltage will be nearly the right value and i'll be within adjustment range.
Old 08-23-2021, 11:37 PM

problem solved, but only with a new tps. strangely, the orientation of the armature of the new tps was completely different from my old/original one, and the new one married up to the throttle blade cam perfectly. i have no idea why; it makes no sense to me how the original could have been so off. i looked at the old/original throttle body, and the cam was in the same horizontal closed position as the new one. the new tps - once the mounting holes were oblonged and the voltmeter adjustment procedure completed i got the 0.67 closed / 4.6 WOT voltage readings.