LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Abs

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2003, 02:20 PM

Abs

I know this isn't really a camaro question but I know fbodies use the same system. The front brakes went on my sisters 97 grand am. When i went to replace the pads and rotors i nitice that the slider for the calipers were siezed. I ended up removing the calipers from the car to rplace the slider bushings while i was at it i replace the o ring and dust boot too. I pluged the brkes lines after removing the calipers and made sure that the fluid level in the master cylinder didn't drop too much. I put the calipers back on blead the just the front two brakes and it worked perfectly. Now a week later the abs and brake light are on on the dash. The brakes still work great and there are no leaks, nor has the fluid level in the master cylinder droped. I know there is a bleeder on the abs modulater but the repair manual said i wouldnt have to touch it if the fluid level in the master cylinder never got low, and i cant bleed it now because the abs light is on and it won't position the pistons right acording to the manual. I can't find any info about this system any where, all the manuals say take it to a dealer, which will not happen. Also i tried disconecting the battery to see if it would reset the system so i could bleed the modulater to no avail. Any help would be greatly apreaciated because she's driving my Camaro till her car is "safe" again.
Old 12-05-2003, 02:22 PM

Sorry for the terrible typing my hands are numb, stupid winter!
Old 12-05-2003, 03:37 PM

i drive a 97 grand am gt. it sucks. however, i don't know too much about brakes so i can't help you. my abs light goes on for a few minutes if i do a big e-brake stand for some reason?

my headlights also go off when my e-brake goes on...this is probably bad.

in a few days i'll be making a grand am video...i might use that rolling stones song "i can't get no satisfaction"

it will be burnouts and big e-brake drifts in the snow

(sorry for the irrelevence)
Old 12-05-2003, 05:25 PM

Ha, i wanna see that video. The headlights are supposed to go on with the ebrake there's no other switch for them