LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

A4 shifter trouble

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2003, 04:09 PM

A4 shifter trouble

I did a search but couldn't find a problem like this. If my car sets for a while (over night) I have the hardest time getting the button down to shift it out of park. It has got worse in the past week or so (I don't know if it has anything to do with the below freezing nights?).My foot is down on the brake as hard as it will go and this morning I just went off on it. I am afraid I will break something for good if I don't fix it soon what could it be?

Thanks for the help,
Matt
Old 01-27-2003, 04:17 PM

My bro just got a 95 TA A4 on wednsday. Has the same prob. Dealership said it is the shifter cable. I dunno though Its going back there to have it fixed on them, so we'll see.
Old 01-27-2003, 04:42 PM

You didn't find anything, because that is not a problem... It's just something that you have to learn to deal with.
Old 01-27-2003, 04:57 PM

You could be having trouble with the transmission control lever solenoid. It is the thing that won't let you shift unless the brake is depressed. Maybe the switch on the brake pedal or the solenoid itself.
Old 01-27-2003, 11:18 PM

I think it has to do with the solenoid too. Is there a way to adjust that or do you just have to replace it? I am going to have to do some thing because it has got to the point that I am pushing on the brakes with both feet and hammering on the shifter with my fist. I am not sure what will break first my hand or the shifter.

Thanks for the help,
Matt
Old 01-27-2003, 11:32 PM

Originally posted by Makin' Do
I think it has to do with the solenoid too. Is there a way to adjust that or do you just have to replace it? I am going to have to do some thing because it has got to the point that I am pushing on the brakes with both feet and hammering on the shifter with my fist. I am not sure what will break first my hand or the shifter.

Thanks for the help,
Matt
When the brake is depressed, it kills power to the solenoid. You can test with a meter or test light to see if that is happening. I suppose alternately you could just unplug it, so it would get no power at all. That should give you a starting point to see if that is the problem.
Old 01-28-2003, 08:07 AM

thanks I will try that and let you know how it turns out.

Matt
Old 01-28-2003, 08:17 AM

i am having the same problem with mine. i can feel the solenoid release when i press on the brake pedal. I just have to bang on the button a little with my hand and then it will go down fine. Once it goes down the first time, it will go down ever time.....untill I let it sit over night.

Shoebox:
If I were to unplug the solenoid would this cause any problems or than being able to shift out of park with no brake applied? Where is the solenoid and the best place to unplug it? Thanks!
Old 01-28-2003, 08:22 AM

Originally posted by Joe Bellman
i am having the same problem with mine. i can feel the solenoid release when i press on the brake pedal. I just have to bang on the button a little with my hand and then it will go down fine. Once it goes down the first time, it will go down ever time.....untill I let it sit over night.

Shoebox:
If I were to unplug the solenoid would this cause any problems or than being able to shift out of park with no brake applied? Where is the solenoid and the best place to unplug it? Thanks!
No problems that I am aware of. The solenoid is located forward and to the left of the shifter. I think you can get to it with the shifter plate off.
Old 01-28-2003, 08:26 AM

Originally posted by shoebox
No problems that I am aware of. The solenoid is located forward and to the left of the shifter. I think you can get to it with the shifter plate off.
I will try that at lunch time. Thanks Shoebox!
Old 01-28-2003, 11:07 AM

Originally posted by shoebox
I just came back from fixing the problem. You can get to it very easily with the shifter plate out of the way. There is about a 4 inch bar with a plastic ball joint connector on the end of it going from the solenoid to the shifter. I used a flat head screw driver to seperate ball joint. Then that bar will slide out of the solenoid. Do all of this with your foot off the brake or you won't be able to pull the bar out. The problem is fixed. Only drawback is the car can shift out of park with the ignition off but you still have to press the button down. It took maybe 5 minutes to do and that was because I was cleaning out the trash and change under the shift plate.
Old 01-28-2003, 12:45 PM

Originally posted by Joe Bellman
I just came back from fixing the problem. You can get to it very easily with the shifter plate out of the way. There is about a 4 inch bar with a plastic ball joint connector on the end of it going from the solenoid to the shifter. I used a flat head screw driver to seperate ball joint. Then that bar will slide out of the solenoid. Do all of this with your foot off the brake or you won't be able to pull the bar out. The problem is fixed. Only drawback is the car can shift out of park with the ignition off but you still have to press the button down. It took maybe 5 minutes to do and that was because I was cleaning out the trash and change under the shift plate.
Yeah, I could see that removing the arm would disable it, too.

So, how much did you net from all the change?