LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

A4 shift firmness mod in Z28?

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2004, 12:39 PM

A4 shift firmness mod in Z28?

I have a question about the shift firmness mod in a Z28. I know the TA's and Formulas had the button that increased the firmness of the shifts in A4's and that there is a web page that details how to do this in a Z28. I want to know if I can still do this without any harm with my programming. Right now, I have PCMforless programming that gives me decent shifts for daily driving. I like the plushness in the low RPM, around town driving. But, it is not quite as hard as I want when driving with some oomph. Hence, I want to be able to firm it up a bit on the fly. Also, does anybody have the page that details how to do it? Thanks a bunch,

Kyle
Old 09-27-2004, 03:49 PM

Re: A4 shift firmness mod in Z28?

Formulas and TAs button is just the opposite. When they performance button is ON it opperated in regular mode. This is the same stiffness that your Z28 opperates in on average. When the button is off, the transmission shifts smoother. Camaros are always in performance mode. If you want increase the stiffness but a Jet 2 Module or a Hypertech. Both will increase the stifness.
Old 09-27-2004, 04:58 PM

I already have programming but no longer have the acces to a laptop to change teh firmness through my programming. I also like teh fact that I could change the firmness of the shifting to my desired effect only when i needed. I like the way the car shifts now for daily driving but would like it a bit firmer when spirited driving is needed. The button should have the same effect as a typical programming but with the added benefits of having a on/off effect. That is what I'm looking for.

Kyle
Old 09-27-2004, 05:07 PM

You can have the performance mode tables tweaked to anything you want. I play around with mine a little and have customized them to my current liking.

Not to start another long debate about performance mode, but the Camaro is not always in performance mode. It may be that the Firebird's tables are not completely identical to the Camaro's, but the statement that Camaros are always in performance mode is in error (even the f-body faq has it wrong).
Old 09-27-2004, 05:13 PM

B&M has a Switch that you can plug into the wire harness that has 3 setting normal stage 1 then 2 and stage 2 hit very hard but then can be shut back to normal
Old 09-27-2004, 05:15 PM

Originally Posted by shoebox
You can have the performance mode tables tweaked to anything you want. I play around with mine a little and have customized them to my current liking.

Not to start another long debate about performance mode, but the Camaro is not always in performance mode. It may be that the Firebird's tables are not completely identical to the Camaro's, but the statement that Camaros are always in performance mode is in error (even the f-body faq has it wrong).
Wouldn't having a perf mode be a little firmer than what i have now? I would have Bryan redoe my programm but I don't have a way of getting the program from the computer to my car like I used to. Also, I don't want my car to break my neck everytime. I actually like the way it shifts now, but just want to be able to firm it up, only when I want to. Also, do you have the directions on your site? thanks,

Kyle
Old 09-27-2004, 05:16 PM

Originally Posted by Zachz28
B&M has a Switch that you can plug into the wire harness that has 3 setting normal stage 1 then 2 and stage 2 hit very hard but then can be shut back to normal
I have had one of those in the for sale forum for months. Really, it's not as nice as the custom programming.
Old 09-27-2004, 05:50 PM

isnt there a way to increase line pressure without programming? I thought I remember seeing a a guide how to do it
Old 09-27-2004, 05:55 PM

Sorry Shoebox, that's just what i heard. I Don't know much about F-bodies, still learning, but i do know enough to know I'm never right when you disagree
Old 09-27-2004, 07:16 PM

Originally Posted by ShawnMacAnanny
Sorry Shoebox, that's just what i heard. I Don't know much about F-bodies, still learning, but i do know enough to know I'm never right when you disagree
LOL, I would never say that !

krispy: There are ways to adjust the pressure. I have read where you can do it on the force motor (pressure solenoid), itself. Of course you have to remove the pan to do it. Not the most elegant way to do it. I think the B&M unit just changes the resistance in the circuit, so you could do that yourself with a little electrical work and the right values.

vodoo-chile: firmness and/or shift timing (and lots of other things) can be independently set with the performance mode tables. Seems about one-third of the table in TunerCat are tranny tables.
No guides on my site for that. I play with it, but I'm no expert.
Old 09-28-2004, 09:43 AM

LOL, I would never say that !

krispy: There are ways to adjust the pressure. I have read where you can do it on the force motor (pressure solenoid), itself. Of course you have to remove the pan to do it. Not the most elegant way to do it. I think the B&M unit just changes the resistance in the circuit, so you could do that yourself with a little electrical work and the right values.

vodoo-chile: firmness and/or shift timing (and lots of other things) can be independently set with the performance mode tables. Seems about one-third of the table in TunerCat are tranny tables.
No guides on my site for that. I play with it, but I'm no expert.
Hey no problem. I did find this on your site, though. I remember there was some sort of write up about this and it contained this diagram. Does anybody remember this or have teh web page? Thanks,

Kyle
Old 09-28-2004, 09:02 PM

Oops. Forget to put the web page in. Here it is. Anyone do this? thanks,

Kyle

http://shbox.com/1/tpbutton_diag.jpg
Old 09-28-2004, 10:39 PM

Originally Posted by vodoo-chile
Hey no problem. I did find this on your site, though. I remember there was some sort of write up about this and it contained this diagram. Does anybody remember this or have teh web page? Thanks,

Kyle
I thought you were talking about how to change the programming.

Anyway, this is a site with some original info. You only really need the diagram you posted, though.
Old 09-29-2004, 12:09 PM

That's what i was talking about. Thanks a bunch Shoe.

Kyle