LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

94 z28 bolt ons.

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2005, 03:01 PM

94 z28 bolt ons.

i am thinking of getting some bolt on parts. i am looking at catback slp exhaust and slp cai. either that or i am going to get a magnaflow muffler and k&n fipk. what do you all think? what would it take for me to add the slp exhaust and keep my tips. do i use my stock muffler in the slp configuration?
Old 07-28-2005, 03:24 PM

Re: 94 z28 bolt ons.

Well, I just got my Magnaflow catback in the mail that will complement my current header installation and replace the rusted out Edelbrock unit I already have. I am very impressed with the quality of the system, all stainless steel, and cant wait to get it on and functional. The CAI and catback are good beginning mods, although there will be arguments all day on which CAI and catback are the best. Other mods to look into in the future would be a mail order tune, mid-length or long tube headers, tb bypass, low temp. thermo.,gears, some suspension pieces:lcas, panhard rod, struts and shocks, torque arm, subframe connectors, ect. all of which are bolt-ons and are a reasonable price for the gains they offer.
Old 07-29-2005, 07:54 AM

i want to put slp catback on my camaro where should i look? also i am looking at the slp cai. as for the exhaust do i use my muffler or is that completely removed? the systems that i am looking at only have the single resonator.
for example

http://cgi.ebay.com/93-02-Camaro-Fir...QQcmdZViewItem

or can i just buy two resonators and remove the muffler and add them in. i need some help being that i really do not do this that often.
Old 07-29-2005, 08:15 AM

That thing that looks like the resonator is the muffler. It offers very little restriction, making more noise, hence the name Loudmouth. That is a complete kit so it will replace everything from the catalytic converter to the tail end.
Old 07-29-2005, 08:18 AM

The loudmouth exhausts are extremely loud. Possibly look into a flowmaster or borla setup. Nice sound as well as good performance. Also if your ona budget there are a couple other options for the CAI beside SLP. Shoot us a PM or email and we'd love to go over some options with you. Our website isn't 100% yet so it doesn't show/offer everything we carry.

Thanks

Josh
Old 07-29-2005, 08:28 AM

i really wanted to stay with slp. chevrolet puts them on the camaros, so they must be somewhat good. i have only heard sound clips of them and would like to try it for myself. i have a couple shops here in town that will cut out my old muffler and put in a flowmaster or magnaflow. i also want to stay with my stock tips.
Old 07-29-2005, 09:05 AM

Personally I would just get Pacesetters LT, Electric cutout, and an intake. That way you get more power for your buck. Plus in my opinion the cut out sounds better than any exhaust setup. Its louder than hell, and it sounds very mean. Especially with headers and a cam on there. With the electric cutout you can switch back and forth to stock something you can't do with a regular exhaust setup.

- Z28WannaB
Old 07-29-2005, 09:08 AM

Very good idea there, do some pacesetter longtubes and y-pipe with cutout. You could get all of that for around for a good price and have alot more power and sound than with just the catback. Shoot us a PM if you'd be interested in pricing.......

Thanks
Old 07-29-2005, 11:55 AM

Originally Posted by CustomSSI
Very good idea there, do some pacesetter longtubes and y-pipe with cutout. You could get all of that for around for a good price and have alot more power and sound than with just the catback. Shoot us a PM if you'd be interested in pricing.......

Thanks
Agreed, you can get uncoated headers, a y-pipe, and a cutout for about the cost of that catback and you will have some awesome gains. Also, just because GM used SLP for their SS's doesn't necessarily mean they are the best and only company out there. Dont get me wrong, I have used SLP parts on my previous Formula and my current Grand Prix and they are a good company, but I feel there just as good and even better companies out there. Also, I am in agreement with CustomSSI about the Magnaflow, it is a beautiful stainless system, great quality, I just got mine in the mail and it is going along with my pacesetter header install that I am currently working on. Just some thoughts, sorry about the long post.
Old 07-29-2005, 01:41 PM

Originally Posted by 2000GTP
Agreed, you can get uncoated headers, a y-pipe, and a cutout for about the cost of that catback and you will have some awesome gains.
Might wanna get the headers coated because they wont last long otherwise...
Old 07-29-2005, 03:32 PM

i really did not want to do headers, heard they are a pita. i orderd my setup today. slp lm 3.5'' slashtips, and a slp cai. if i am unhappy i am sure that i can replace with stock and start over, i see that there are plenty of people looking for slp stuff, so i shouldnt have a hard time getting out of it.
Old 07-29-2005, 05:39 PM

Originally Posted by TTlord
i really wanted to stay with slp. chevrolet puts them on the camaros, so they must be somewhat good. i have only heard sound clips of them and would like to try it for myself. i have a couple shops here in town that will cut out my old muffler and put in a flowmaster or magnaflow. i also want to stay with my stock tips.
So do you like the opti-spark too?

Replacing the muffler will do nothing but make it louder. Do a whole cat back system and get some power gains too.

If I were you, I would go with either a Hooker cat back (cheaper) or a Magnaflow cat back. Search some newer posts about Magnaflows and you will find that people are getting them for about $260 shipped.
Old 07-29-2005, 06:04 PM

Well, good luck with your new exhaust and intake. Also, yeah headers are a pita, but they offer significant gains so it should be something to look into in the future.
Old 07-29-2005, 09:14 PM

"Replacing the muffler will do nothing but make it louder. Do a whole cat back system and get some power gains too."

he did replace his whole cat back.... he said he got the loudmouth. but anyway i have the loudmouth on my 94 also and it sounds awesome, i love it. and dont worry about people saying its too loud. its loud, but its not anywhere near "obnixious" like people say. But if its not loud enough for you, you could put some longtubes on and that baby would scream. Oh and if you're buying the cat back for performance purposes, you're not really gonna get any out of a catback unless you get headers, so i highly recommend that you get some headers. (preferably longtubes)
Old 08-03-2005, 06:08 PM

ok well i finally got done installing the new catback loudmouth. i like the way it sounds. quiet at idle and rip roaring at wot. although i do like the sound could it be possible that i lost some performance? i havent gotten my cai yet so i have not been able to install it. it may just be me, but when i stomp on it it seems like it used to have more take off, stock. also from off the line it would get scratch in second. dont no only drove it a few miles. now i am headed out to eat so i will get some more quality road time.

Quick Reply: 94 z28 bolt ons.