LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

93 Z28 no start

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2003, 07:45 AM

93 Z28 no start

Good Morning folks,

My 93 Z28 was in storage since November with a full tank of gas. I put the battery back in, started it up and it had no problems starting and running. I moved it into my driveway about 75 feet and put it into park. I let it run for about 20 minutes. Then it sputtered out. Not too hot, no other apparent problems, it just sputtered out while sitting at idle.

When I try to start it, the starter cranks fine, but it will not restart. I removed the air cleaner snorkel and shot a little gas into the plenum with the two doors open and the car did start and run but only for about 10 or 15 seconds. So it looks like to me I am not getting gas. My thought is the fuel pump is shot. I doubt the fuel filter could have clogged up, although I guess it is possible.

While I have a good skillset with older V8s, the LT1 is one I have not worked on much at all. If replacing the fuel pump is a good first step, how would I go about replacing it? Simple task? Are the other things I should check before I replace it? It is prefferable to avoid the shop and save the $ whenever possible.

Thanks for any assistance!
Rob
Old 03-31-2003, 08:33 AM

Hook a guage up and check the fuel PSI, should be around 42psi. From there I'd check the relay, it's located under the driver side kick panel under the carpet....

If relay is good and you got power GOING to the relay, then there's a good chance it is your fuel pump.

I'm almost sure it IS your pump, because it failed during operation, which I can't see a relay doing...

We just did a fuel pump here at the shop on a 95Z28, if you have the tools I'd recommend doing it yourself to save you some $$$, but you have to remove the exhaust system. You can keep the tank in the car if you tilt the right side down, because the filler tube in a pain in the a$$ to get out.

Goodluck. -Paul

Last edited by ZPaul2Fresh8; 03-31-2003 at 08:36 AM.
Old 03-31-2003, 08:42 AM

Fuel Pump

Paul,

Thanks for the reply! Unfortunately I do not have a guage but I could buy one. I was hoping the fuel pump was located on the motor and was held in by a couple of bolts or something. If the fuel pump is by the tank and I have to drop one of the pipes, that makes this task substantially more challenging!

I would think the clamps would be tough to remove and the pipes (maybe just a tailpipe?) in that area would be pretty tough to separate. I do not have air tools just ratchets and grunt power.

Thanks!
Rob
Old 03-31-2003, 09:11 AM

Then I highly recommend a shop then. Make sure they use an AC/Delco pump just like OE, or something better if you're running forced induction (Which I'm sure you already would've been doing in the first place). We had to cut the exhaust pipe right before the axle to remove the exhaust, then weld it back in place when we were finished. So you can imagine some of the tools needed to do it, not to mention a lift...

Handtools and grunt That's what I got and had to use for my hotcam kit, heads, vented-opti, headers, oil pan gasket AND main bearing cap bolt. (Did I mention I did all of that on the ground with the motor still in the car and didn't even jack to motor up)