LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

911 Emergency with my water pump!!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2003, 09:01 PM

911 Emergency with my water pump!!!

I brought my brand new Mezeire pump home to replace what I thought was a fried CSI pump. I decided to test the old pump before I took it out of the vehicle first. Here's what's going on:

When I hook up power DIRECTLY from the battery to the pump on the car, the pump works, so I know the pump is not at fault. The garage that set up my wiring for the pump used the harness coming from the CSI into a standard relay. From the relay there is a red positive wire and a black negative wire with inline fuseholders on each(checked the fuses, they're ok) going into that black box with the relays and fuses on the right side of the engine bay. The negative wire with a spade terminal on the end is plugged onto the right terminal of a blade fuse into the #13 AC/Cruise fuse slot in that box. The red positive has the same spade on the end, but it's plugged into the right receptacle of the #7 air pump slot, but with NO fuse. Keep in mind that this setup worked fine for six months and all of a sudden it won't kick the pump on anymore.

Now here's the real weird part, this setup before gave power to the pump whenever the key was in the on position. I used a test light to see if it was getting power to the fuse box and here's what happened: When the power is OFF, the test light turned ON! and when the key was ON, the test light was OFF. I didn't change anything on the car, it just didn't turn the pump on one day. Guys I'm in a real bind here, I came home 6 hours from college to throw in a pump (or so I thought) and I need to get the car back this weekend. If you have ANY idea as to what could be my problem, please call me on my cell at (740) 707-4775, it doesn't matter what time it is. Thanks!
Old 02-02-2003, 01:39 AM

Hey man!! That sucks. It is pretty weird too!!! I can't help you on this one but good luck!!

I'm coming home March 17th. I'll be bringing the girl and only staying for 2 weeks. But I have alot planned and I hope it goes well!

Well, good luck again. I hope you figure it out!
Old 02-02-2003, 05:22 AM

The negative from the relay should be grounded to the car body,so that is definitely wrong.The positive should be hooked up to a source that is on when the key is on.This should help.
Old 02-02-2003, 06:15 AM

I have my relay wired like this;

30 - to inline fuse to positive on battery
85 - to ground
86 - to ignition fuse
87 - to positive from water pump

Check out

http://ken.lowrance.com/Projects/CSI...mp/Default.htm

Although you say your pump was working...

All I can suggest is that you check all the fuses, grounds & connections. May want to try a new relay as well.
Old 02-02-2003, 09:34 AM

Look at the underhood fuse box. Tap your power from the pump to a heavy gauge orange wire under the box. Use a test light, but all the orange wires there should be accessory power. Now either run a ground over to a point on the chassis, or do like I did and ground it where the ignition coil is grounded.

I know some people swear by using a relay on it, but I have had mine wired up like this for a while now, with no problems!!!!

John