LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

4L60E troubles

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2003, 01:47 AM

4L60E troubles

Well I got my tranny back together after a I replaced some of the servos , springs and gaskets. I also did a new torque converter while I was at it. I put in one quart like they said in the B&M book that came with it and 5 quarts in the tranny. At the auto parts store they said it took 7 and I know the converter takes about 5-6 so I got 13 total quarts. Now I got it started and I got nuttin! I still havent put in the other 7 quarts yet cuz even if the motor is running and the tranny is in park im not getting anything outta the coller lines and nuttin as far as movemet. I know its probably something stupid I did so whats up?
Old 03-29-2003, 08:46 AM

Are you sure you had the convertor pushed all the way in to engage the pump? If you are positive then keep adding fluid until it shows on the dipstick. Also, if you replaced the filter are you sure the filter is all the way pushed in? You may be sucking air past the tube. Good luck.
Old 03-29-2003, 11:52 AM

pretty sure I did. Hope I did. It went in till I thought I heard a click and it didnt have any issues the the flywheel so..
and yeah unless it fell out. I flipped the tranny over when it was out to do the shift kit and pushed the filter in till it wouldnt go anymore. nice and snug

Last edited by 94FlamdS10Blazr; 03-29-2003 at 11:54 AM.
Old 03-29-2003, 05:27 PM

ok I got it running and dropped in more fuild for a total of 11 quarts and still nuttin.
Old 03-29-2003, 09:59 PM

anybody else?
Old 03-29-2003, 10:06 PM

What is the indication on the dipstick?
Old 03-29-2003, 10:48 PM

it was high as of today
Old 03-30-2003, 10:39 AM

I didnt hear it suck anything into anywhere. Its only got open headers right now so its kinda hard to your self think next to it.
I can rev the motor , but what I mean by "nuttin " is that Im getting no fluid outta the coolant lines and no movement of the vehicle. 2 people have said that if I didnt get the converter all the way back and bolted it up, I might have sent the converter back into the pump and screwed up the pump. One of the guys that said that was from a tranny shop.
Actually I have 10 total quarts in it now.I was hoping that if I put it all in there it might get to the point of sucking it up.Also I dont have a tach yet being as this was a swap and I had to rewire alot of stuff. I know I said 11 quarts but I recounted and got 10
Old 03-30-2003, 07:30 PM

Time to get a pressure gauge on it. It doesn't sound like your pump is pulling the fluid from the pan. If you don't have a pressure gauge and want a quick check, pull the line pres. test plug, pull your inj. fuse so your engine won't start. Get under your car with a rag, have someone crank the engine while you have the rag over the hole the pres. plug came out of and see if fluid comes out while cranking. BE CAREFUL, alot of fluid comes out in a short time. Make sure the person cranking knows to stop when you say stop. The line pres. tap is right off the pump so it should start spraying fluid almost as soon as the engine is cranked. If you don't get any fluid, either your filter still isn't seated or is cracked, the pump isn't engaged or is damaged. Good Luck!!!
Old 03-30-2003, 07:46 PM

like I said before I got no fluid coming down the lines
Old 03-30-2003, 08:22 PM

i think i screwed up the front pump and I didnt put the converter in all the way so I need a new one
Old 04-01-2003, 03:36 AM

If you have 10 or more quarts in it and it is still not sending it through the transmission lines?, you most likely broke the front pump rotor assembly at a minimum. This can do a lot of damage to the front pump setup.
Old 04-02-2003, 10:31 PM

Which line are you checking at? If it is at the trans. is it the cooler feed or return? If it's the return then check for kinked lines to the cooler and/or blow air through them. If it's the feed then there are problems. A plugged cooler will not cause a no engagement so you still have other problems. If you have 10 qts in the pan then that would be enough to cover the filter, so a cracked or not fully seated filter should not be an issue as this would be enough to completely cover the filter and pick-up tube. Unfortunately you probably have a pump problem. When you replace the pump, do yourself a favor. Flip the trans upside down, install the convertor and pour some fluid into the filter. When you turn the conv., the fluid in the filter should get sucked down and disappear. This will tell you the pump is sucking and you have the conv. piloted correctly into the pump. You can put your hand over the filter opening while turning the conv. and should feel a vacuum if you are turning the conv. the right way. Also, check the hub on the conv. and make sure there are cut outs to engage the pump. Since it is a man made component, they could have mismachined the conv., not likely but worth checking while you have it out. Good luck.
Old 04-03-2003, 08:19 AM

got the new tranny. it was the front pump. runs fine now. im leaving to go get exhaust now
Old 04-03-2003, 09:18 AM

Originally posted by 94FlamdS10Blazr
pretty sure I did. Hope I did. It went in till I thought I heard a click and it didnt have any issues the the flywheel so..
and yeah unless it fell out. I flipped the tranny over when it was out to do the shift kit and pushed the filter in till it wouldnt go anymore. nice and snug
*turn* *click* *turn* *click* *turn* *click*

You need THREE clicks. If you only got it to click once you most likely busted yout front pump.
Ouch

Quick Reply: 4L60E troubles