LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

LT1 rebuild

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2003, 12:23 AM

LT1 rebuild

I am currently rebuilding a 94 LT1 to go into a 82 camaro, I have a stock crank with Eagle rods and40 over venolia flat top 4 valve relief pistons (full floating)plan on bringing motor to 6500 rpm,do you think the stock crank (cast not steel) will be alright, also I hear those motors have problems with the mains moving around is this something that line honing will fix or is this a reaccuring problem,also I am planning on running the engine for 1 season ,tuning the programmable fuel injection and working the bugs out then possible supercharging , first off will the crank hold up to supercharging and how much boost do you think I can get away with and still run High octane pump gas without problems given the pistons ohh yaeh the heads are stock 94 steel heads with mild porting. Engine originally out of caddy. thanks for any help hopefully this is the right place and i am not waisting anyones time
Old 10-16-2003, 01:24 AM
Banned

Re: LT1 rebuild

Originally posted by motorhed
I am currently rebuilding a 94 LT1 to go into a 82 camaro, I have a stock crank with Eagle rods and40 over venolia flat top 4 valve relief pistons (full floating)plan on bringing motor to 6500 rpm,do you think the stock crank (cast not steel) will be alright, also I hear those motors have problems with the mains moving around is this something that line honing will fix or is this a reaccuring problem,also I am planning on running the engine for 1 season ,tuning the programmable fuel injection and working the bugs out then possible supercharging , first off will the crank hold up to supercharging and how much boost do you think I can get away with and still run High octane pump gas without problems given the pistons ohh yaeh the heads are stock 94 steel heads with mild porting. Engine originally out of caddy. thanks for any help hopefully this is the right place and i am not waisting anyones time
The stock LT1 crank is a good unit, and it will put up with a decent amount of power and that rpm. It should even hold the supercharger later on.

The only good fix to the mains moving around to a certain point is a 4 bolt main. That's not needed untill you hit the 500+ HP level.

The flat tops are going to make too much CR for the 93 octane and a good amount of boost unless you dial the timing way back.

Bret
Old 10-16-2003, 08:37 AM
Advanced Tech Moderator

These questions would actually be best asked in LT1 Tech, moving there.

Thanks.
Old 10-16-2003, 01:49 PM

What are you calling a good amount of boost I wa only thinking about 7 to 10 lbs or is that still to much. thanks