LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

383 Runs very very poor

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2003, 02:29 PM

383 Runs very very poor

Well, this summer I plan on spending some time getting my car running properly. About 2 years ago I dropped some serious money into it, in hopes of the car running really well. Seems my dreams went down the drain -- considering I have barely driven it since the upgrades.

Heres what I did (at least what I can remember):

Had the 350 block stroked to a 383

Installed a Crane Compu-Cam 2050. Has a .498 lift

Cam Description: "For 94-95 highly modified, aluminum head LT1 Camaros, Firebirds and Corvettes. High flow heads, headers and exhaust required. Manual trans recommended. Top end power with some low end loss"

Hooker Longtube SuperComp headers

3" catback, w/ Flowmaster exhaust

58MM BBK Throttle body - the intake was ported to match

Stock heads were port and polished

Mezier Water Pump

All the little items were replaces, such as the optispark, plugs, wires, coil, ignition control module, knock sensor, etc etc.

The PCM (took out the OBD-II, and replaced with an OBD-I) was tuned by Ed Wright, who I told of all my upgrades.

Using the stock MAF (got a new one of those as well) w/ a K&N CAI.

My car is a 96' Z28, M6, stock rear end.

Heck its been so long, i barely can remember all I've done to it. But now, I'm tired of it sitting there, and want to drive it again!

Heres the problem. It runs like @ss. Before all the upgrades, the car pulled a 14.0 @ 101mph at the track. After, 15.5 @ 95mph.

After dropping easily over 5k in mods, it was pretty depressing. The only area I haven't worked with, and hopefully someone will point at me and call me stupid for not doing, is upgrading my fuel system. Using the stock injectors, and fuel pump. Is it possible im starving my system of enough fuel to make this car run like it should?

The car has had all the emissions garbage ripped out from it as well. Inside the car, it throws no diagnostic codes. I've got brand new o2 sensors (at the time they were) as well.

Someone give me some direction here -- I was so pissed over the whole deal, i parked the car in my parents garage when I moved, and have my dad start the engine once a week or so to keep everything lubed up.

It sounds mean as hell, there is no backfiring, its extremely strong initial acceleration, roasting the tires isnt a problem (like it ever is in an lt-1), but when you hit 60+ mph it just doesnt have that POWER feeling that you wish it would.

1 more thing. It won't hold an idle. Have to keep bumping the gas so it doesnt die. I know that Ed set it down on purpose, but this once again leads me to think its being starved for fuel.

Help?

Last edited by 96BlackZ28; 04-14-2003 at 02:45 PM.
Old 04-14-2003, 02:37 PM

Find a place that can take measurements for air/fuel mixture, ignition, and all the general diagnostic stuff. From what you said about it dying off at 60, it makes me think that your motor isn't getting enough fuel. Get an adjustable fuel pressure regulator, some new injectors, and other stuff like that. You might want to take the car to a dyno too. You can tell alot by your hp/torque curves.
Later,
Jason
Old 04-14-2003, 03:09 PM

Ya, something is seriously wrong, like he said you need to get to a dyno with some diagnostic equipment, and start there, its almost like you are running on about 4 cylinders...
Old 04-14-2003, 03:41 PM

Don't get me wrong, it doesnt LOSE power at 60mph, it just doesnt have that level of pull necessary to achieve good 1/4 mile times.

I mean, it will still accelerate nicely, but its just not doing what its suppose to.
Old 04-14-2003, 03:59 PM

How do the 1/8 times compare? Does it not pull like it should in high rpms or high speeds or never?

You definitely need to upgrade the fuel system with atleast bigger injectors, but I don't think that is your only problem. How about knock retard? It can take away a good bit of horsepower if its bad. Make sure your plugs and wires are ok, check all the little stuff.
Old 04-14-2003, 04:09 PM
Banned

get a better cam
498 lift is nothing

post the whole cam specs
Old 04-14-2003, 04:20 PM

Yea I agree that cam is too small especially for a 383. Toss a Comp cam XE 230/236 on 112 and I think you will be happy.
Old 04-14-2003, 04:24 PM

http://www.cranecams.com/master/apps/chevy40.htm

Here is the website, its item #2

It will tell you better then I could sum it up here.
Old 04-14-2003, 05:22 PM

It's not the cam and it's not the fact that you're running out of fuel. Any F-body that traps 95 mph is making about 250 horse.

Time to verify proper secondary ignition, and I'd drop the exhaust to make sure there no collapsed muffler baffle or cat. Who built this engine? Perhaps the cam was not installed properly, or the valves misadjusted....the list can go on and on. But your car should be trapping 113-115 with those mods.
Old 04-15-2003, 06:49 AM

Well, my car has no cats on it, just an offroad Y pipe that connects the headers to a flowmaster dual outlet muffler.

As far as the shop, they build very very fast cars, except they had never did a LT-1 before. They were confident about it, and said there were no troubles during the build.

If the valve adjustment is out of whack, is this something I can attempt to fix? As far as the cam being out of whack, that might be a little over me to fix ... not sure, never have pulled a cam before... .but I'm willing to try!
Old 04-15-2003, 07:27 AM

Sounds to me like the cam timing is off or it's pulling a bunch of timing out.
That's a fairly mild cam but it should still smoke a stocker.
Old 04-15-2003, 08:35 AM

If everthing is mechanically ok, then it is something peripheral. It is practically safe to assume the shop did ok in setting up the engine. LT1 does not differ from the traditional small block chevy.

1.) Make sure you are not getting knock retard, are you getting any codes? It almost sounds as if you are running in limp-home mode.

2.) Check your fuel pressure at WOT, mine was going and I think it was the major source of my problem. What I have been told, is that it should go up around 3-5 psi at WOT. Mine goes down around 8-9 psi at WOT.

Let us know please.
Old 04-15-2003, 08:41 AM

Start with the basics...

Make sure you have a new fuel filter on the car.

Tape a mechanical fuel psi guage to your windshield when you make a 1/4 mile run and watch to see if the fuel psi drops.

Are you auto or manual? If its auto does it shift at the redline or below it?

Did you put in a new throttle position sensor?
Old 04-15-2003, 09:23 AM

Maybe if you have a laptop you could hook up some diagnostic tools to the ALDL port to check out the knock retard. The knock module for OBDII is different, and needs to be desensitized to work with OBDI systems.
Old 04-16-2003, 03:51 PM

You know, that is one thing I never did replace, is the throttle position sensor.

What are the chances that it could all hinge on that?

My car is a 6 speed manual.

If my timing is off, how is it possible to adjust it? I don't have a way to adjust the computer.

I do have the cables and software that can monitor the computer, PCMRead (might be outdated by now) that i used to use to watch everything going on.

Last edited by 96BlackZ28; 04-16-2003 at 03:54 PM.

Quick Reply: 383 Runs very very poor