LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

2 probems.Oil Leak.Can't Find It. Antifreeze smell when heat is on.

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2012, 09:05 PM

2 probems.Oil Leak.Can't Find It. Antifreeze smell when heat is on.

(1)I have had an oil leak for the past few years and didn't really worry about it. In a weeks time,there would only be a quarter size amount on the driveway. Now I am getting about a 6 inch circle in a week. I have tried to locate where the leak is coming from. It looks like it is dripping onto the oil pan and then onto the ground.
Anybody have any suggestion son where I should actually do a thorough search or see if I can find it? I already talked to my mechanic and he said to drop it off in a few weeks and he would look at it,if I didn't find it.

(2) I am also getting a faint antifreeze smell when the heat is one and even a little smell when I just have the blower fan on.Could it be a bad heater core? I have noticed that the car takes 10-15 mins to actually get the air coming from the heater to get hot.At best it's warm after 15 mins.No signs of antifreeze on the passengers side floor. The heater core was replaced around 4-5 years ago.

Notes: Car is stock.Just hit 100k miles.
Old 10-25-2012, 09:08 PM

Re: 2 probems.Oil Leak.Can't Find It. Antifreeze smell when heat is on.

If you smell coolant when the heat is on, you most likely have a leak in the heater core.

For oil leaks, you just have to clean things up and keep a good watch for where it is coming from. It's common for the intake to leak at the very back seal to the block.
Old 10-25-2012, 09:13 PM

Thanks shoebox. The heater core I can do,but If I have to have my mechanic fix the oil leak problem,then I may as well let him do it. How hard is it to replace the seal. You have any diagrams of the seal on your site? I took a glance,but didn't see anything.
Old 10-26-2012, 06:09 AM

It is a time consuming but fairly easy repair. Felpro gaskets. A bead of silicone RTV on front and back (of the block), of the sealing surface and be VERY careful when replacing the intake manifold. It wouldn't hurt to have a separate set of hands for this part. Set the manifold STRAIGHT down slowly so as not to have a leak when your done.
I learned the hard way on this part.
Old 10-26-2012, 06:53 AM

Originally Posted by Red97LT1
Thanks shoebox. The heater core I can do,but If I have to have my mechanic fix the oil leak problem,then I may as well let him do it. How hard is it to replace the seal. You have any diagrams of the seal on your site? I took a glance,but didn't see anything.
Coverage of the intake manifold is in the cam install guide. Right now, you don't even know if it is the culprit.