LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

1995 Z-28 Head Gasket - Worst Road trip ever

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2013, 10:51 AM

1995 Z-28 Head Gasket - Worst Road trip ever

I need advise please. Last August I was driving my daughter back to Green Bay from Phoenix and it turned into a nightmare. About a day before we were going to leave i noticed my heater core started to leak a little but it was minor and I said I would fix it as soon as I got back to Wisconsin. 100 miles out of Phoenix my car overheated in Payson on the grade. It was quick... When I stopped I had trans fluid sprayed on the ground and my exhaust. It looked like my Radiator had failed. I found the part in Payson and changed it myself at a guys shop. Tested and all seemed to be running fine. By the time I hit Texas the unit would heat right up when I got off the highway and I had to shut it down. Heater core really started to leak bad. Long story short we made it 100 miles s of Kansas City when I assume the Head Gasket went and I did not want to push it any farther as it was now heating up on the highway. I noticed coolant sprayed out of the exhaust but no mixing of the oil. I was going through a lot of coolant. Had it towed to my companys terminal in KC where a buddy of mine started it twice a week until I got it towed to GB in Nov. Battery was dead but I jumped it and it had a valve tick but it ran ok (not long enough to overheat) parked in a storage building. trans seemed low also higher rpms to engage.

I have owned my car for 17 years and Love it... What would be best Headgaskets and or head... Can you get a LS1 to replace this LT1 without it costing $10000 - Looking for suggestions my friends (104,000 miles)
Old 06-12-2013, 11:43 AM

Was it a valve tick or exhaust leak?

Sounds just like the way my gasket blew, smoke out the back and the exhaust was going into the radiator. If the radiator blew and the coolant got into the transmission then that will need rebuilt also. That just happened to me about a month ago.

I just tore the heads off and put new gaskets and everything was ok.

Posted from Camaroz28.com App for Android
Old 06-12-2013, 07:48 PM
Banned

Re: 1995 Z-28 Head Gasket - Worst Road trip ever

lt1 to ls conversion will cost a lot, really not worth it. If you have a head gasket leak I would also check and make sure the heads is not warped. So you are looking at rebuilding the heads, but with that you might as well change the cam =) and get a nice pcm tune. Here is the story of my Camaro, same issue with the blown head gasket, happy viewing;https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=11hGs0zOMiA BTW I am not afraid to pull up next to any LS =)