LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

14.9 ET - What'll get my car running better again?

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2005, 01:11 AM

14.9 ET - What'll get my car running better again?

I haven't posted much on here, but I'm looking to get my car running how it should for the most part. I bought my car in April, with 149xxx miles on it. It's at almost 151000 now, and still runs good for the most part. I've replaced the air filter, fuel filter, cleaned the TB (took off car and cleaned the hell out of it), and I think that's it. Anyways, it still has a noticable misfire under load and off the line and stuff, would fresh spark plugs and wires probably fix that? Would misfiring cause that much of a drop in power and track times? The car is strong, is a B4C from Colorado State Patrol Dept. The transmission is really strong still, and it'll give a nice 2nd gear scratch, and still loves to go really fast. Anyways, all help I can get to get the car running in the best condition it can be in right now, other than getting it rebuilt (that's in the plans), it would help me a lot. I know it should be running at least mid to low 14s still, no?

Another question.... do the transmissions in the B4C have extra tuning by chance? Firmer shifts? Is the OD servo different? Allow full throttle upshifts or full throttle in OD? Just wondering.

Thanks,
Nick
Old 06-17-2005, 07:46 AM

Re: 14.9 ET - What'll get my car running better again?

How old are the plugs & wires?. Hows old is the opti?
Old 06-17-2005, 09:16 AM

Yeah definitely change the plugs and wires cause they probably need it. Cant hurt anything anyways by changing em Good luck man. My car had 135,xxx and my cam bearing went out so I just got through with a rebuild. Should be really quick now
Old 06-17-2005, 10:06 AM

Originally Posted by sabre81
How old are the plugs & wires?. Hows old is the opti?
I don't know how old they are, i know the previous owner didn't replaec them, but he didn't have them long. They're probably long since due for replacement. Opti I don't know about either. I guess I'll be tackling hte PITA plug change then

Nick
Old 06-17-2005, 11:33 AM

yes
Old 06-17-2005, 11:44 AM

Plug change is actually pretty easy on the lt1. I also have a ls1 and the passenger side closest to the cab is a biznitch. It took me forever to finally get that one. The plug wire change on the lt1s isnt fun at all cause the wires run behind the power steering pump on the passenger side sucks. Have fun man and I hope that gets ya going
Old 06-17-2005, 05:05 PM

If you want help with the plugs you can pm me.
Old 06-17-2005, 05:16 PM

If you want, Pick up the new issue of GM High Tech. They have an article in there that does some work on a high mile LT1 like the one you have and show what was gained by doing the repairs. Pretty good aritcle. It will put you in the right direction.
Old 06-17-2005, 05:19 PM

Originally Posted by 97LT1Boy
I haven't posted much on here, but I'm looking to get my car running how it should for the most part. I bought my car in April, with 149xxx miles on it. It's at almost 151000 now, and still runs good for the most part. I've replaced the air filter, fuel filter, cleaned the TB (took off car and cleaned the hell out of it), and I think that's it. Anyways, it still has a noticable misfire under load and off the line and stuff, would fresh spark plugs and wires probably fix that? Would misfiring cause that much of a drop in power and track times? The car is strong, is a B4C from Colorado State Patrol Dept. The transmission is really strong still, and it'll give a nice 2nd gear scratch, and still loves to go really fast. Anyways, all help I can get to get the car running in the best condition it can be in right now, other than getting it rebuilt (that's in the plans), it would help me a lot. I know it should be running at least mid to low 14s still, no?

Another question.... do the transmissions in the B4C have extra tuning by chance? Firmer shifts? Is the OD servo different? Allow full throttle upshifts or full throttle in OD? Just wondering.

Thanks,
Nick
I call

All LT1's run 13.6 stock because a LT1 owner told me so

J/K

I would definately replace the wires and plugs. I bet it'll make a night and day difference.
Old 06-17-2005, 05:40 PM

I agree withthe above posts. Replace the ignition parts. Another thing to think about; anybody know if the B4C cars had a different, lower, gear ratio for the highway??
Old 06-17-2005, 05:46 PM

while your doing the plug and wires you may as well do the opti, inspect the waterpump while your at it, possibly even swap it for a electric one.

dont know about the b4c rear ends, but what ever tuning was in there i hear they remove before selling their vehicles...could be a myth though.

who cares if its high mileage, its all highway miles from the cops and they only do the speed limit the majority of the time anyway, so i bet the internals are in pretty good condition.
Old 06-17-2005, 07:27 PM

I thought I had a B4C car when I saw sockets for strobes on my tailights. I got a VIN search done by someone associated with GM (cannot divulge name by request) and it turns out my car is the Plain-Jane version. According to this person, the B4C's only real difference was the beefed up suspension.

My '97 LT1 began to develope a miss as well, and it was corrected by replacing the entire Opti distributor. Since you will most likely be removing the harmonic balancer and water pump to get at the plug wires, I HIGHLY suggest you replace the entire distributor. It will save you labor-time since you already have everything off.

Also, while you have the distributor off, why not get a new water pump, 160 deg. T-stat, and do the TB bypass, as well as getting good Felpro gaskets for the WP and t-stat? Hell, since you will have the serpentine belt removed, why not even put the gear reduction (right name?) kit on? Change the belt too.

All this can be done easily on a casual weekend. I did everything mentioned except the gear reduction. Car runs pretty sweet now.
Old 06-18-2005, 01:27 AM

Originally Posted by Randy L
I thought I had a B4C car when I saw sockets for strobes on my tailights. I got a VIN search done by someone associated with GM (cannot divulge name by request) and it turns out my car is the Plain-Jane version. According to this person, the B4C's only real difference was the beefed up suspension.

they also got the bigger alternators