LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

and for the 1 millionth time...

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2004, 11:40 PM

and for the 1 millionth time...

i am changing from a 95 3.4l rs to a 96 t/a lt1 and im wondering, what should i do as far as getting a wire harness? im not too sure if it would be compatible.
Old 12-04-2004, 11:47 PM

Re: and for the 1 millionth time...

i would say go to a junkyard and get one...or get a painless setup, i think summit sells them.
Old 12-04-2004, 11:53 PM

a harness from that car would more than likely work. but i mean unless you are deeply, emotionally attached to this RS of yours, you'd be better to sell your RS and put that money towards a trans am or Z28. you can pick one up with under 80k miles for around $7k, and it gets cheaper from there on out. i picked my 6 spd Z28 up with 87k miles, 3.73's in rebuilt rear, Mcleod clutch, rebuilt trans and some other lil bolt ons for a lil under $7k and the paint and interior are very nice. nothing other than paint chips on the hood, and a ding on the rear 1/4. and this way, you don't have to go through the nightmares you'll be experiencing doing this swap yourself. It may sound like a good idea for the swap, but for the money and time, it's just not worth it.
Old 12-05-2004, 12:03 AM

if you are going from a six to an eight, you would need a wiring harness with two more fuel injector provisions...and im sure some other things.
Old 12-05-2004, 12:53 AM
Advanced Member

I think painless wiring sells an LT-1 kit.... but if you wanna save some $$$ search ebay... there should be some obd1 PCM's with harnesses on there.
Old 12-05-2004, 07:27 AM

Is it auto or manual?
Old 12-05-2004, 12:16 PM

thanks for the respnses.

allow me to clarify a few things.
1. i bought lt1 k-member and all, as well as t-56 and all other mounts needed. it was removed from a 1996 Trans Am with and OBDII computer
2. i currently have a 1995 rs 3.4l auto

where would i go from here? do i need to buy a new computer and wire harness? where can i find a painless setup wire harness? is it worth it?

thanks.
Old 12-05-2004, 03:47 PM

No way is it worth it. To go from a 6 cyl auto to an 8 with a manual. And if that weren't bad enough, make it OBDII. You got to be nuts.

I mean that in a nice way.
Old 12-05-2004, 03:58 PM
Advanced Member

here's a start...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...939182609&rd=1

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...938607824&rd=1

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...sPageName=WDVW

I'm not sure what needs to be done exactly in your case... or if it makes a difference... but I'd go for the obd 1 setup... mos definantly... all the parts are out there you just need to find them... I'd go ebay first... I'm unsure about the painless kit as I thought they made them or have them in the makes... but with all the LT-1 drops people do into hotrods out there... I"m sure painless has an LT-1 kit... maybe it was in summit catalog I saw it...

Anyhow I'm all for the v6-v8 swap.... who says motorsports was easy... Tunning's half the battle... good luck man..

Last edited by Heatmaker; 12-05-2004 at 04:04 PM.
Old 12-06-2004, 01:55 AM

Before you think about doing this make sure you are in love with your car. That’s all that matters. If you plan on doing this you are going to waste a lot of money and spend a lot of time working out the bugs. I have a 95 camaro that was a v6 and then converted it into a v8. The v8 was a 96lt1 OBDII out of a 96 ta. You are going to need K member, throttle cables, new radiator, radiator hoses + heater hoses, duel fans, throttle cable bracket, trans mount, drive shaft, pcm computer, cruise control module, the whole air intake with sensors, wire harness, and beer. When you try to hook up all the wiring for the new motor you’re going to find out pretty quick that you have extra wires. Its not a good feeling. For the new obd2 pcm your going to have to rewire the power for the pcm. You’re also going to have to send out the new obd2 computer to get reprogrammed to take out vats, rear o2 sensors, reconfigure your rear end, take out radiator level sensor, and change some more settings. When you're ready to install the new motor make sure you take off the o2's and the oil sensor. They are very easy to break and smash when putting in the motor... When your car starts your going to find out that your ses light is going to stay lit, and to get it to turn off will take forever and lots of $$$. If you plan on going with OBDII you will be flooded with electrical problems. If possible try to lean toward OBDI. One more thing that people say to do is replace the fuel tank and pump. I didn't and I have no problems running my v8 with the v6 pump. I did this change about a year ago and my car runs awesome, I also stuck with OBDII. The things that I recommend doing the most are putting the headers on when your motor is out of the car with copper gaskets, clean the engine compartment, and make sure you do a good job putting the k-member in. Good luck with your conversion if you do it. Ohh one more thing, make sure you don't rotate your steering wheel when your steering linkage is not hooked up. It could make your air bags go off. ohh and make sure you connect your multiple ground wires before you attempt to start your car. Front end alignment is also a must.
Old 12-06-2004, 01:57 AM

almost forgot, get a new gauge cluster so your rpms are right.
Old 12-06-2004, 02:06 AM

damn dude...just buy a new car...there are plent of 5,000 Z28's and T/A!!
Old 12-06-2004, 07:39 AM

Here is another vote for just buying an lt1 car. Not very expensive at all. You already have an extra motor if the one you get needs a new one.
Old 12-06-2004, 11:27 AM
Advanced Member

If I were you I'd do an LS-1 swap instead...
Old 12-06-2004, 08:25 PM

yea man unless this cars got some sentemental value to u or somthing... it would be cheeper to just get a lt1 car, i just got a 93 z28 a4 in good shape for 3800, yes it was a good deal, but there r plenty out there, and i think its prolly gonna cost u close to that in parts, and not to mention the pita of acualy doing it, and remember that if you buy another car you can sell the v6 and make some of your money back... just my opinion, good luck with it though

Quick Reply: and for the 1 millionth time...