LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

1/4 mile results with headers and ram air

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2005, 09:02 AM

1/4 mile results with headers and ram air

Ok i installed headers, ram air, a tune, taylor otvc wires, and replaced 02s and plugs. Anyway this wasnt making much sense to me.

This was done with a G-tech pro on 3 different roads in both directions. Roads are completely flat and straight with no potholes. I will disregard the MPH becuase it is known to not be accurate and i can't remember the mph for the first runs anyway.

Before with the mods listed minus headers, exhaust, ram air, tune, wires, new plugs, new 02s, and ported maf

All runs were from 13.8-14.1. The best run was a 13.85 with a 5.4 second 0-60mph. All 0-60s were from 5.3-5.8 seconds.

With all of the mods listed i made 8 runs on 3 roads in both directions. All were from 12.9-13.1. The best was 12.92 with a 4.3 0-60mph. All 0-60s were from 4.3-4.6 seconds.

So by looking at this i only gained speed on my 0-60mph? I mean i lost an entire second for 0-60, but my top end stayed the same? I know it's not a true 1/4 mile time, but it's still pretty consistent for the runs i did. The runs seemed to be based on traction. If i spun off of the line my time was slower. I have nitto 315s with 2.73s and my posi is going out so sometimes it slips and sometimes it doesnt.

So anyway i am planning on getting a used 3.42 rear end and seeing if that helps any. What do you all think?
Old 03-17-2005, 09:04 AM

Re: 1/4 mile results with headers and ram air

Oh yeah i just remembered that when i went to do the free ram air mod today (where you cut the box to be fully open) I noticed i lost a piece of weather stripping somewhere. Maybe that's why my top end wasnt so good. The hood must be doing a good job of forcing air in if it blew off my weather stripping.
Old 03-17-2005, 10:08 AM

You wrote it but not sure if you read your own writing!!! it looks like you droped almost a second in the quater mile too... Why did you say it stayed the same? 13.85 - 12.92 = .93 almost a full second reduction, I'd say that was pretty good for the mods you did.

Now get to Cecil and try it at a real tack!
Old 03-17-2005, 10:30 AM

Don't trust G-tech numbers. It will make you come to false conclusions. There are way too many variables, which screw up a G-tech's accuracy.

Dan
Old 03-17-2005, 11:04 AM

I wasnt trusting it's results entirely, it's just a basis for my mods. It is consistent at least, so it's good for testing my new mods.

Yeah i saw i dropped a second on my 1/4 mile too, but if you think about it, i ONLY dropped a second from 0-60. The rest of the way down the track took me just as long as before. I will get to cecil as soon as i get my rear end in. I hate it when it randomly decides it wants to only spin my right wheel. Hell even when it grips posi the tires screech under power so i need that posi to be working
Old 03-17-2005, 12:36 PM

Originally Posted by ShawnMacAnanny
Yeah i saw i dropped a second on my 1/4 mile too, but if you think about it, i ONLY dropped a second from 0-60. The rest of the way down the track took me just as long as before. I will get to cecil as soon as i get my rear end in. I hate it when it randomly decides it wants to only spin my right wheel. Hell even when it grips posi the tires screech under power so i need that posi to be working
most of that is more then likly the 2.73's and that is why most of the time was made up in first gear, and a little of second... top of second and third gear are my killer too, damn 2.73's!

oh yeah BTW, you and your car have been mistaken for me a few times...
check out this thread I think they saw you!
or is there another white LT1 formula rolling around this area with loud exhaust!
Old 03-17-2005, 01:19 PM

Yeah i am putting a 3.42 rear end in this weekend on next so hopefully that will help a little.

I am usually around the Dover area. When i am in Willmington it's only ever on RT13 or RT1. I'm not sure if that was me they saw, but at that time i had my exhaust cut off before the cat so it was really loud lol.

If you'll notice i now have a hood like no other, the body moulding removed, the firebird and formula emblems removed, ZR1 wheels, and soon to be the entire front bumper cut into 1 opening. Around that time, i would have had the Big Block cowl hood on my car though and stock 16x8 wheels. I don't think it was me though. I've never seen another white formula though, so that's awsome that you and someone else have one in this area.
Old 04-04-2005, 12:33 PM

With these mods what do you guys think I will do in 0-60 in, I just want a rough estimate.

Jet Hot LT's with an ORY and Random Tech cat back
PCM retuned
TBB
LPE intake
160* therm.
3" cutout

This is for an auto 97 Formula.
Old 04-04-2005, 12:41 PM

My 95 Z28 A4 with 3.42 or 3.23 gears (not sure which), Lingenfelter CAI, Trick Flow Elbow, and 160 stat G-Teched as follows. My best 0-60 on the G-Tech is 5.04 and the 1/4 mile was 13.56.
Old 04-04-2005, 04:28 PM

outsider, what did you run in the 1/4 in the 'real' world? I see 14.32 is that including the mods?
Old 04-04-2005, 04:31 PM

I think that was with mods, and the times in his sig are stock?
Old 04-04-2005, 04:35 PM

Let’s see here.

I have witnessed more then a few times where G-Tech's results were not only off, they were WAAAY off. From seeing stock lt1's running 12's, to automatic ls1's running 14.4's when in real life it was almost opposite. I think the instantaneous g's created from the car shifting into gear alone is enough to cause its metering to be off between cars with a very hard shifter to a slightly less aggressive driver. Don’t be surprised when those results are way off.

So, without at least a dyno, or even better a real track run, I dont think there is any possible way to judge where your car pulls or what it runs.
Old 04-04-2005, 04:41 PM

Have ring and pinion 3.42s left over from my going to 4.10s (very few miles). will put them in the FS when I get the urge.
Old 04-04-2005, 05:02 PM

I wasnt trusting it's results entirely, it's just a basis for my mods. It is consistent at least, so it's good for testing my new mods.

Ok, let me try to explain this. 0-60 is a measurement of acceleration to a designated speed. 1/4 mile times are a measurement of time vs. distance. They are related, but not very closely. If you lost a full second on your 0-60, then odds are that you are reaching 60mph in a shorter distance. Therefore, you are actually traveling a longer distance after 60mph to the 1/4 mile than you were before, so if the improvemnt in times are the same for each, you actually picked up in the top end too, because that distance was made longer, and you are covering it in the same time as you were before. Does that make sense?
Old 04-04-2005, 05:13 PM

I will disregard the MPH becuase it is known to not be accurate
I'd disregard all the information provided by the g-tech as most of it is pretty inaccurate.

Quick Reply: 1/4 mile results with headers and ram air