CamaroZ28.Com Message Board

CamaroZ28.Com Message Board (https://www.camaroz28.com/forums/)
-   LS1 Based Engine Tech (https://www.camaroz28.com/forums/ls1-based-engine-tech-19/)
-   -   Z28 / Z28 SS - Difference? (https://www.camaroz28.com/forums/ls1-based-engine-tech-19/z28-z28-ss-difference-94677/)

scottslt1z28 03-18-2003 06:18 PM

ok im about to own this thread.

Sal Callaziano.

ss - z28 = all really the same
the ss has a better suspension than the z28 (helps in road racing, no so much help at the track though); it has a hood with "ram air" (yes this "ram air" does suck, but it adds a little maybe 1 or 2hp due to more cold air going in. its not really ram air. ), spoiler, 17" inch rims, exhaust, and some more accesories.

the z28 has none of what was mentioned above. Yet that does not mean it is inferior. they both have the ls1 (which is an incredibly awesome engine) in my personal opion i like the ss better than the z. NOT BECAUSE OF POWER, but because of looks.

if your friend wants a car for road racing then the ss with SLIGHTLY out perform the z28 (with a control i mean).....(for those that are slightly slow. a control, in an experiment, is the factor that is the same......ex. both ls1's in the experiment producing the same power, z28 engine and ss engine........leaving the additional performance the hood and suspension aspects)

Now if your friends wants a car for the strip then the ss's suspension upgrades wont matter, because the z28's have good ones too.......and the ss suspension upgrade is for handling..........not going in a straight line (like a drag stip)

As for what your friend needs to get--It all depends on what he's going to do with the car..............if he is going to turn it into a bad a** fast machine....then the z28 will be the best (because its the cheapest, and if he really turns it into a fast ass machine then he will change suspension, induction, exhaust......which if he bought an ss he would do too, because its stuff isnt what you want when building an all out dragster)......so basically when you change the exhaust, suspension, better flowing hood (if you want to change that)..........you just replaced what you just payed for....................so what was the point in buying the ss??????

now to the post about z28 power being as much as the ss power......................WRONG the ss does have slightly more, but yes there are a few freak ls1 engines that produce more power than the other ones...........so yes you can see a z28 dyno with more power than an ss. they both have ls1 engines but no engine is identical.

i would tell your friend to buy a z28, because im thinking he likes power and is going to heavily modify the car.

and im not just biast about the z28, i would take an ss over the z28. I am actually looking into this as we speak.

and again.......to your question about will the hood fit if you wanted to buy one and put it on there???......yes and so would the spoiler.

Im sure i have forgotten to add a couple things (as my post is very long and i dont feel like rereading it and making sure i havnt, so im just saying i might have)

but if you want to know everything (the difference in power between the different years...........i.e.-- 1998-2000, 2001 and 2002.......there were just small changes in the engine to make these differences) CAL then you can call me at 601-924-3835.

but it all comes down to preference

Thanks..............Scott

35thanniv.SS 03-18-2003 06:45 PM

Let me get in this real quick. LS1 corvettes and f-bodies put out right around the same numbers. GM has to over rate the corvette because its a "corvette" and has to be on top.
The only reason I bought my SS was because of the appearence and the fact that its an anniversary... other than what I would have gotten a used one to mod it up quick.