LS1 Based Engine Tech LS1 / LS6 / LS2 / LS3 / LS7 Engine Tech

Your opinions on upgrades

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2002, 12:21 AM

Your opinions on upgrades

Hello all, Im new to the whole LS1 world (just bought a 98 Z28 to replace my 87 Z28), and am about to start making some changes.

I swapped a Flowmaster onto it (I know, I know, most of you say Flowmasters dont flow, but we'll address that later) for a little meaner sound, and I am planning on the following:

Air lid - Whisper? G2? SLP? Who makes the best for the price?

Mass airflow sensor - The G2 is double the price of an SLP one, is there that much difference?

Throttle body - Is it work the 350 or so clams, or is that pushing it?

Electric exaust cutout - To get the Flow back from my Flowmaster. Any suggestions on them?

Chips-Ahoy! - JET makes an LS1 pop-in pcm, anyone know about them or others? Prices etc?

Cold air kit - Worth it or not? Best brand? Best buy?

As I said, Im very new to this whole buisness, so go easy on me here. If youve got a better set of suggestions, Id love to hear them!

Thanks alot everyone!
Old 10-26-2002, 11:14 AM

ok...airlid...they are pretty much all the same, dont let anyone tell you differently. personally, id stock with the stock maf until you absolutely need another. you really dont NEED a bigger tb, but if you want one, both shaner and BBK make an 80mm (im pretty sure its that size). quick time electric cutouts are going to be your best bet. the jet-chip is pretty much a worthless piece. and lastly, there are quite a few ram air kits available. slp cold air kit, fast toys ram air, super sucker raim air just to name a few. save your money on the jet-chip and the maf for sure (and if it were me, the tb too).
Old 10-26-2002, 12:15 PM

Don't forget to order a Strut tower brace,and Sub frame connectors!(weld on's,NOT bolt on's)
Old 10-26-2002, 01:55 PM

Re: Your opinions on upgrades

Air lid - Whisper? G2? SLP? Who makes the best for the price?
From the research I have done.. SLP and a few others on sale run about $99.. I am going with Whisper for fitment reasons and for the look. I would suggest a Holley filter since the K&N filter is not a perfect fit for our cars.
Mass airflow sensor - The G2 is double the price of an SLP one, is there that much difference?
Avoid it.. Its too much of a hit and miss option and I dont see that anyone really gets any gains early on.
Throttle body - Is it work the 350 or so clams, or is that pushing it?
Wait till you have a reason for a bigger TB.. without any intake mods or heads why go for more air? I would suggest the throttle body opening adjustment mod.. its free and should prove effective.
Electric exaust cutout - To get the Flow back from my Flowmaster. Any suggestions on them?
Not sure the name.. prolly the one from above.. I would suggest putting it as far forward as possible unless you are going to be running it wide open all the time.
Chips-Ahoy! - JET makes an LS1 pop-in pcm, anyone know about them or others? Prices etc?
avoid.. get a diablo or LS1 Edit to mess with the PCM.. you shouldnt need it right away though..
Cold air kit - Worth it or not? Best brand? Best buy?
Fast toys is very popular and many like it.. I would go for the more costly plastic version.. I forget who makes it though..

My choices are based on many reading and questions asked...

good luck!
Old 10-26-2002, 03:33 PM
LBJ

The first mod should be a Lid and a high flowing cat back system. Cheap DIRTY horsepower!
Old 10-26-2002, 10:48 PM

for your MAf I would suggest saving some money and just get the ported one from whisper you use the stock electronics but new ends that are descreened and ported you will know when you take off the stock MAF and compare it that you made a good decision. Useing the whisper MAF will help smooth the air flow and allow it to get in quicker. I would also suggest the smooth bellows
Old 10-27-2002, 12:48 AM

Thanks everyone for your advice. I think I'll nab a Whisper lid, and the whisper ends for my MAF sensor for now. Cutout will come next.