LS1 Based Engine Tech LS1 / LS6 / LS2 / LS3 / LS7 Engine Tech

wrecked 02 i am pulling engine,trans need to know top or bootom,FOR BODY SHOP REPAIRS

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2004, 05:08 PM

wrecked 02 i am pulling engine,trans need to know top or bootom,FOR BODY SHOP REPAIRS

ok i bought an 02 wrecked , i have to pull the motor trans and dash and get it to the body shop,and have the frame work done, heres my problem i dont know if i should pull it from the bottom then take the motor off the craddle and then bolt the k memeber and all back up, so i can roll it, or if i should pull the motor and trans out the top and leave the k member and all suspetion in the car, i have to be able to roll the car around to get the body shop to fix it, the strut tower is bent over, and it has firwall damage is the reason for all of this, what does everyone think ?just looking for the easyest way for me ive done it out the top on an lt1, but ive wanted to try out the bottom, i have a motor lift, and plenty of jacks to do it either way,just dont know what i should do?thanks for all help
Old 08-01-2004, 06:51 AM

Re: wrecked 02 i am pulling engine,trans need to know top or bootom,FOR BODY SHOP REPAIRS

bottom
Old 08-01-2004, 04:32 PM

Re: wrecked 02 i am pulling engine,trans need to know top or bootom,FOR BODY SHOP REPAIRS

I asked that same question about 3 weeks ago. Everyone said to take it out the bottom, so I did. Someone even posted some pictures that were a huge help in determining how to set it up. There's a lot of prep work involved but all in all I'd say going out the bottom wasn't too bad. Just got it back in this weekend.
Old 08-02-2004, 08:32 AM

DO NOT go through the bottom!!!! I went through the top and it was a breeze. I have pics if you want to see. Going through the bottom is a nightmare compared to top.
Old 08-02-2004, 10:34 AM

Originally Posted by cooley346
DO NOT go through the bottom!!!! I went through the top and it was a breeze. I have pics if you want to see. Going through the bottom is a nightmare compared to top.
No its not. You may have had a bad experience, but dropping the motor out of the bottom is far easier. If you know what you're doing you can have the motor out in just over half an hour.
Old 08-02-2004, 11:04 AM

The same exact steps are involved in preping everything to take the motor out. Disconecting stuff and such. Then you just bring the motor out through the top. Going through the bottom you also need to remove the tranny crossmember, unbolt the front rack, slowly raise the car up, then very carefully pull the front rack out from under the car, then unbolt the motor from the k member, then remove. I'm not saying it's hard, But it sure is compared to just hooking up a hoist and unbolting the motor mounts. So far I've done this to four vehicles this week alone. The top is better!!!
Old 08-02-2004, 09:27 PM

To each his own
Old 08-03-2004, 11:45 AM

I prefer to take it out through the bottom.

But....

If the strut tower is bent over, you may not be able to get the suspension back where it goes.