LS1 Based Engine Tech LS1 / LS6 / LS2 / LS3 / LS7 Engine Tech

What's your opinions on Borla?

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2004, 11:40 PM

What's your opinions on Borla?

I'm thinking of getting a Borla catback, used of course(I am not paying $800)

Right now my current setup is a Magnaflow catback(came with the car). It wasn't loud enough for me, so I put an eletric cutout on it, and it dumped under the rear seat. This turned my floorboard black. And then the wire melted that ran to the eletric motor. Then the electric motor fell off of the plate.

I now have a new DMH electric cutout(replaced under the 4 year warranty). The more I think about it, the more I realize that under the rear seat is a bad place for the exhaust to dump. This location vibrates the crap out of your interior, and I have a couple of new rattles from running the cutout there. Somebody on this board had to replace a rear shock because of all the heat broke the seal on it. I know the electric cutout will install on the Borla where the plate goes.

With the exhaust open and running without a muffler, it sounds absolutely perfect and badazz. Except it droned on the interstate, where I drive most of the time(hence why I got the electric plate) Now what does the borla muffler sound like when the exhaust is closed? Is it going to be quite and not drone when I'm buzzing along at 80-90MPH? And does it still sound good with all the exhaust going through the muffler?
Old 11-09-2004, 03:06 AM

Re: What's your opinions on Borla?

I personally didn't care for my Borla when I had it on my 99 SS. When I had the borla on the SS I had a TPIS head/cam set-up with the stock LS1 intake. My exhaust system consisted of Grottyohann longtube headers, 3 inch Random Tech cats, and Grottyohann 3 inch Y-pipe feeding into the Borla. I had ZERO rasp with that combo but I think that was due to the cats not the Borla. I ran the Borla wide-open 90% of the time and occasionally I would swap in the solid plate so all the exhaust would go through the muffler. I eventually removed the muffler and tailpipes entirely. The exhaust exited directly from the Y-pipe and believe it or not the car sounded better. The rear of the car looked much cleaner without exhaust pipes/tips.
You will find that the Borla is VERY heavy. When I had the complete system on the car I could literally feel the extra weight it added to the car. I could feel the added weight during intense acceleration. I would say it felt very comparable to having one of my friends (average size 150lbs-180lbs) in the car.
I had Rapid Motorsports install a ARE head/cam set-up and Mikey removed the cats and did some fabrication for me. The complete exhaust(headers,cats,y-pipe,and Borla) was all slip fit. The headers had standard 3" muffler clamps holding the cats onto the header's collectors and for the cats to the y-pipe. I also used a 3" clamp to connect the Borla to the y-pipe. The Borla came with several 3" stainless steel bandclamps. I personally think those clamps are useless. I tightened then with a 1/2 drive impact gun and the pipes still moved around. The exhaust tips constantly moved and had to be re-adjusted. I ended up having it all spot-welded.
Old 11-09-2004, 05:14 AM

LOL whatever. Borla doesn't even weigh a fraction of what the factory system weighs, and certainly no more than any other system out there. Saying it's the equivalent of 150 lb passenger is assinine. Exhaust sound/appearance is all a matter of personal preference. Go to http://www.ls1sounds.com and decide for yourself. Even better, listen in person, but many of the sounds on ls1sounds.com are pretty accurate. This guy just didn't install his correctly. Never had a problem with mine, I love the sound, and haven't had a complaint in years, but again, it's all personal opinion. However, if clamps aren't working for you, you've got major problems and should probably be riding the short bus, not driving an f-body, and judging from his sig (track run/times/comments), I'd say I'm not too far off. 1.6 60' AND almost hit the wall? something's not quite right here.

Last edited by BirchMan98z; 11-09-2004 at 05:17 AM.
Old 11-09-2004, 08:34 AM

do a search on the slp 2otl at ls1tech.com. there are a few posts where ppl wrote that they picked up anywhere from 5 to ZERO hp with an open cutout over this system. it sounds pretty good, too. deep and mellow around town, but really wails at wot. the looks are subjective, though. i think it looks great on a z28, kinda fruity on a t/a. the price is good, too- less than $400 new and all stainless.
Old 11-09-2004, 08:50 AM

i have a borla on my 99 TA and i love the sound. once i got LTs, it sounds even better.
Old 11-10-2004, 08:11 AM

good system, sounds good,pricey
Old 11-10-2004, 09:47 AM

borla is a great catback system. i dont know why though people like their tips. i think their tips are pretty ugly if you asked me. but i would prefer the loudmouth over it though.
Old 11-10-2004, 09:54 AM

The only good thing about the Borla kit is it's stainless. I had a Borla catback on my '97 and never had a problem with it...just sounded terrible IMO. If you like the sound, it's a good quality system...go for it.
Old 11-10-2004, 04:35 PM

Originally Posted by TXZ28LS1
borla is a great catback system. i dont know why though people like their tips. i think their tips are pretty ugly if you asked me. but i would prefer the loudmouth over it though.
I don't like the square tips. I spent the extra $$ on the round tips. Looks nicer. Not sure they even offer them any more.

The sound of the borla isn't as deep as other systems out there, I guess for guys with a napoleon complex, this is a pretty big deal when your car doesn't have a super deep gurgle to it, which is associated with the "muscle car."

personally, I think the borla sounds different, and it's instantly recognizeable.

I doubt a cutout will flow better than ANY quality catback out there, aside from on larger cubed, forced induction cars. The cutout is basically an alternative to the catback. Choose a quality catback, and you won't need a cutout, and vice versa.

Last edited by BirchMan98z; 11-10-2004 at 04:40 PM.
Old 11-10-2004, 05:36 PM

I dont like borlas at all.. IF I were to ever put on ANY exhaust it would be corsa..
But it isnt loud.
Old 11-10-2004, 05:39 PM

Borla = cutout

Just throw a cutout on your Magnaflow and you'll sound the same. Cap the cutout side of the Borla and it'll be quiet too.
Old 11-10-2004, 09:42 PM

I heard a B&B Triflow on a LS1 Corvette recently, and all i can say is that it sent chills down my back. I have never heard something so amazing before! Im not a fan of Borla personally, however ive heard good things about them. I think it is mostly personal like/dislike when coming down to an exhaust system. I have heard spintech and like them on the LS1 also. However I must stick to my guns, B&B Triflow + LS1=PURE HEAVEN! I dont know of any sound clips online but if anyone has them PLEASE share cause they sound SO good!
Old 11-11-2004, 01:01 AM
XTZ

sounds ghey and the tips are fugly.
Old 11-11-2004, 02:10 AM

Originally Posted by BirchMan98z
LOL whatever. Borla doesn't even weigh a fraction of what the factory system weighs, and certainly no more than any other system out there. Saying it's the equivalent of 150 lb passenger is assinine. Exhaust sound/appearance is all a matter of personal preference. Go to http://www.ls1sounds.com and decide for yourself. Even better, listen in person, but many of the sounds on ls1sounds.com are pretty accurate. This guy just didn't install his correctly. Never had a problem with mine, I love the sound, and haven't had a complaint in years, but again, it's all personal opinion. However, if clamps aren't working for you, you've got major problems and should probably be riding the short bus, not driving an f-body, and judging from his sig (track run/times/comments), I'd say I'm not too far off. 1.6 60' AND almost hit the wall? something's not quite right here.
That had to be one of the rudest and most ignorant posts I have ever read. The Borla system IS heavy. I never compared the Borla to another system in my post. I agree the factory system is also heavy. Thank you for the mental capacity comment, that was really cute. The clamps just plain suck, it's that simple. I never said it was exactly like having 150lb person either, did I? I believe I said,"felt very comparable". Launching on ET streets at 5000rpm will easilty net a 1.6 60ft and a track with no prep causes traction issues. I don't know if I hit water, oil, or just loss traction but just after the 60ft marker the *** end kicked out hard and almost put me into the wall, but I suppose I should be in a mentally retarded program because of this, right? With comments like those, you expect intelligent people to actually care what you say?
Old 11-11-2004, 03:55 AM

[QUOTE=99snkklrLaunching on ET streets at 5000rpm will easilty net a 1.6 60ft and a track with no prep causes traction issues. I don't know if I hit water, oil, or just loss traction but just after the 60ft marker the *** end kicked out hard and almost put me into the wall[/QUOTE]

But why is your car only running 114??? That's something that I'd be checking on.

And to any who don't believe. A 1.6x sixty and a wet spot can get your car seriously out of shape in a big hurry. Been there done that. In my case I was headed right for the tree

Quick Reply: What's your opinions on Borla?