LS1 Based Engine Tech LS1 / LS6 / LS2 / LS3 / LS7 Engine Tech

Whats the difference in the z28 LS1 and the C5's?

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2004, 11:49 PM
Banned

Aren't the 1/4 mile times about a second apart? Yes.
Old 02-07-2004, 11:54 PM

For a C5 vs. a LS1 Z28 no. A Z06 vs. a LS1 Z28 probably.
Old 02-08-2004, 10:13 AM

....doesnt a C5 weigh almost 300 lbs less than a Z28....

I think the piston slap has a lot to do with how many C5 owners drive theirs daily to add up any miles at all. I would say almost about all C5 cars are under 70000 miles. But other than that, I would say that they do/did but since they are the corvette the dealer probably replaced their engine.
Old 02-08-2004, 12:28 PM

Originally posted by warwickbass
Aren't the 1/4 mile times about a second apart? Yes.
NO. Stock C5's are low 13 second cars, pretty much the same as LS1 F-bodies. I've even seen a Z06 only run 13.2 down the 1/4 mile the same night I was running 13.4, but obviously that's driver error, not really the car's fault, but still, even with 2 "pro" drivers, a C5 and an LS1 will be pretty much side-by-side.

...........although, maybe on a roll at highway speed the C5 would pull away quicker?
Old 02-08-2004, 01:48 PM

c5 is old news the c6 is on its way shortly...anyway the c5 weights less, has more power, and better aerodynamics...thats why it is faster
Old 02-08-2004, 03:30 PM

Fact: C5 (non Z06) will not put more power down on a dyno
Fact: C5 (non Z06) will lose more of its hp to the drivetrain
Fact: C5 (non Z06) will not be able to beat an Fbody with equal drivers. It cannot pull away from a roll. Stock for stock on a straight course, it cannot win with drivers being equal.. Add a turn or two and the scenario changes dramatically as the vette will be able to carry more speed in and out of the turns and the narrow margin of acceleration held by the Fbod will soon be appearant..

I love my car.. It does its job well.. When I find the time to spend more time AutoXing, I will get my Porsche going again and it will serve its purpose on the track... But for straight lines, my camaro does just fine..

Something most people tend to forget is that many drivers out there are not that good.. Would I race a ZO6? Yes.. Have I? Yes.. Did I win? Yes.. (won 1 lost 1).. Both races were at the track. Both were with the same car, different driver each time.. Husband and wife.. Off the line I beat each of them.. Only difference was that the husband was quicker than his wife off the line and shifted a little better.. I was ahead when I went to 2nd, once he grabbed 2nd he put 3 on me.. Afterwards we compared timeslips... the .3 he put on me after that surge in 2nd was all he could do.. meaning that for the rest of the race, his margin was never more than .3... Now how fast is 3 tenths? Fast enough that if he had spun just a tad off the line I would of crossed first.. Pretty neat when you consider how important time and SKILL play in a race at the track..

My Z28 has "Will Race For Pizza" on its sides.. .I get odd challenges.. Odd as in a few 10sec cars which I wont run and once an owner of a few franchises came and challenged me to race his Viper.. I asked the year.. he stated 1996.. I eagerly said "Yes".. he seemed puzzled... I then explained that he would have to have some mods to take me given that I didnt think he could drive it as well as I drive my car.. He has yet to show... heheheheh Psychocology will always play a part in racing...

I am done with my ramblings... I just woke up recently.. Long night ahead of me... Off to slinging pizzas I go!
Old 02-09-2004, 09:07 AM

Originally posted by psychocabbage

Fact: C5 (non Z06) will not be able to beat an Fbody with equal drivers. It cannot pull away from a roll.
, ya might wanna check on that fact a bit
Old 02-09-2004, 09:18 AM

Originally posted by warwickbass
A C5 will embarrass a LS1 Z28. Duh. I've seen it happen. Didn't even look like the Z28 was moving..lol..
Yeah, maybe a Z06. Outside of that, any LS1 Z28 should be pretty close to a base model C5. I wouldn't want to mess with a Z06 though.

Did somebody just say a C5 cannot beat a Z28? That's ridiculous. They are very closely matched. You can't just make up rules like that, it ain't happening. The cars are very close to the same HP wise, it comes down to who is the better driver at that point.

Last edited by HoustonZ; 02-09-2004 at 09:21 AM.
Old 02-09-2004, 09:37 AM

well my boss just bought a 04 c5 and i can tell you that this car would drive circles around a z-28.....that thing can handle...as far as power.....my very lightly modded z-28 seemed to have more grunt.....maybe because the vette only had 8 miles on the clock and it wasnt broken in yet....and my boss even commented that his camaro SS that he traded in to get this Vette said he didnt believe the vette had any grunt either....but like i said get a thousand miles or so on the vette and ill drive it again .....beautifully constructed car though.
Old 02-09-2004, 09:40 AM

Well, I'm sure we'd all rather have a Vette...they are beautiful cars. I just can't afford a C5 personally. It is an advantage for me to have 4 seats too, even though they aren't much for seats they are good for the kids.
Old 02-09-2004, 06:25 PM

Originally posted by HoustonZ
Yeah, maybe a Z06. Outside of that, any LS1 Z28 should be pretty close to a base model C5. I wouldn't want to mess with a Z06 though.

Did somebody just say a C5 cannot beat a Z28? That's ridiculous. They are very closely matched. You can't just make up rules like that, it ain't happening. The cars are very close to the same HP wise, it comes down to who is the better driver at that point.
If you read the post above you will see how I stated that if the drivers are equal the Fbod will prevail in a 1/4mile contest..

Originally posted by Antz97ZNJ
, ya might wanna check on that fact a bit

Have yet to have it proved here in person on the street or track..
Old 02-09-2004, 06:51 PM

yes the vette does have the same engine as the z28 but c' mon, saying the z28 will beat the vette every time with equal drivers is crazy. Even if the vette is putting down a little less power than the camaro "which isn't always the case" the vette still has a huge weight advantage. Also it is much better suited for high speeds, the camaro takes high speeds well, but the corvette has the aerodynamics heavily on its side. I would say from a stop a camaro could prolly get if off the line. But from a roll the vette would take over. My car is nice but when i drive my dads 2001 vette i can tell you his car is nicer.
Old 02-09-2004, 11:33 PM

Same engine from '98 to '02 (as if it hasn't been said). Same piston slap (the famous article addressing this issue was referring to vettes), same ls6 block from 01 to 03, 04. Early on there was talk about different cams, but the cam part is the same for both ls1 f and y bodies (based on part listings and other comments). I am not sure whether the "cam profile" difference comes from the tuning or the exhaust difference.

Our ls1's differ from vettes in the breathing. I'd say the engine is just about the only thing we have in common with the vette (perhaps the interior styling, hatchback design, windshield style). In terms of driveline, suspension, chassis, and body materials, we all know that the vette is cut from a different cloth.

It is an unspoken agreement in my club that the fbody is basically "an engine wrapped in a s**t body, but I've heard once or twice a few grumblings from vette owners about quality issues such as paint and interior pieces. I have a lot of respect for the corvette, it has always been a tremendous automobile and the flagship of Chevrolet. It proved also to be perhaps the best time to get a camaro with the introduction of the ls1 into the fbody!
Old 02-10-2004, 08:56 AM

If the guy in the C5 cant drive than yes.... but I beat almost all the C5 at my track cause most cant drive their cars. The only real advantage that the C5 has over the F-Body is weight. the Corvette weigh's much less.
Old 02-10-2004, 10:23 PM

My feeling from having driven a stock C5 for a week and my LS1 all the time is that the vette is lighter, faster, corners with less ado, and has a meaningfully lower center of gravity as well as a better suspension. But as many have already said, the Z is about 95% of the performance for half the price.

Speaking of piston slap, most of what I know about it I learned over at the Idavette website a few years ago. Lots of vette owners were unhappy with slap in their cars.

Anyone wanting to learn about the LS1 will find plenty of info at Idavette.

Quick Reply: Whats the difference in the z28 LS1 and the C5's?