LS1 Based Engine Tech LS1 / LS6 / LS2 / LS3 / LS7 Engine Tech

Whats the difference in the z28 LS1 and the C5's?

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2004, 06:33 AM

Whats the difference in the z28 LS1 and the C5's?

Just curious. Im about sick of people putting down my z, claiming that the damn c5 is soooooo much better. Now before I go out and embarass myself, whats the story? I mean I'll give props to the Z06 but to me, the C5 is a Camaro for a middle aged man. Just my humble opinion though.
Old 02-07-2004, 07:56 AM

Other than the body,suspension,and build quality there is not a lot different in the motor (which is what I think you're asking).The only difference in a C5 LS1 and a F-body LS1 is the air intake and exhaust.
Old 02-07-2004, 08:44 AM

So basically, with a different lid and an aftermarket exhaust, you got yourself a C5 in camaro form?
Old 02-07-2004, 09:01 AM

So, if the only difference in the engine is intake and exhaust, why do so many Z28's and SS's have piston slap to some degree and you hardly ever hear of a C5 with piston slap?
Old 02-07-2004, 09:03 AM

Originally posted by nikkev
Other than the body,suspension,and build quality there is not a lot different in the motor (which is what I think you're asking).The only difference in a C5 LS1 and a F-body LS1 is the air intake and exhaust.
Heres another quick question. Did the C5 get the LS6 block also?
Old 02-07-2004, 10:05 AM

don't forget they can handle way better. I think the 01's and up did get the ls6 block
Old 02-07-2004, 10:06 AM

Originally posted by Lt1 and Ls1
don't forget they can handle way better. I think the 01's and up did get the ls6 block
Well alright then.
Old 02-07-2004, 10:45 AM

It depends on what you want in your car. If you want a car that handles turns really well, then I guess I'd say go for the 'Vette. For 1/4 mile racing though, I think most would agree that the solid axle in the F-bodies is better suited, and at the track, you'll likely see better times out of an F-body (obviously I mean for cars of equal power, because a Z06 will beat a stock LS1 F-body).

There are things that are truly "better" about the 'Vette though. Its build quality is supposed to be far superior to F-bodies, and like I said, their independent suspension handles better. They're also in a higher "class", but that's also where you get that attitude from that your Z28 sucks. I personally don't care though, because for half the price of a 'Vette, I've got a car that handles well enough for me, and it has the same engine! Right now, I'm all about speed, and I don't care as much about the handling. One day I might buy a 'Vette, but I don't look down upon F-bodies at all................if I did, I wouldn't own one, nor would I be a member on this site!
Old 02-07-2004, 10:49 AM

Originally posted by Capn Pete
It depends on what you want in your car. If you want a car that handles turns really well, then I guess I'd say go for the 'Vette. For 1/4 mile racing though, I think most would agree that the solid axle in the F-bodies is better suited, and at the track, you'll likely see better times out of an F-body (obviously I mean for cars of equal power, because a Z06 will beat a stock LS1 F-body).

There are things that are truly "better" about the 'Vette though. Its build quality is supposed to be far superior to F-bodies, and like I said, their independent suspension handles better. They're also in a higher "class", but that's also where you get that attitude from that your Z28 sucks. I personally don't care though, because for half the price of a 'Vette, I've got a car that handles well enough for me, and it has the same engine! Right now, I'm all about speed, and I don't care as much about the handling. One day I might buy a 'Vette, but I don't look down upon F-bodies at all................if I did, I wouldn't own one, nor would I be a member on this site!

...and that says it all.
Old 02-07-2004, 10:14 PM

You can pick up a used c5 for in the 20's sometimes a little less. F-bods are that much cheaper.
Old 02-07-2004, 10:24 PM

QUOTE- So, if the only difference in the engine is intake and exhaust, why do so many Z28's and SS's have piston slap to some degree and you hardly ever hear of a C5 with piston slap?

This is a fine point, how come corvette LS1 engines are not plagued by piston slap?

Old 02-07-2004, 11:39 PM
Banned

A C5 will embarrass a LS1 Z28. Duh. I've seen it happen. Didn't even look like the Z28 was moving..lol..
Old 02-07-2004, 11:44 PM

I raced a c5 once and he didn't embarrass me. In fact I pulled him by a car to 105 with 2 other people in my car and him by himself.
Old 02-07-2004, 11:45 PM
Banned

He wasn't trying.
Old 02-07-2004, 11:48 PM

couldn't drive his m6? maybe.

Quick Reply: Whats the difference in the z28 LS1 and the C5's?