CamaroZ28.Com Message Board

CamaroZ28.Com Message Board (https://www.camaroz28.com/forums/)
-   LS1 Based Engine Tech (https://www.camaroz28.com/forums/ls1-based-engine-tech-19/)
-   -   What kind've LS1 Camaro should an 18 year old get? (https://www.camaroz28.com/forums/ls1-based-engine-tech-19/what-kindve-ls1-camaro-should-18-year-old-get-127764/)

ratio411 06-02-2003 04:19 PM

Re: What kind've LS1 Camaro should an 18 year old get?

Originally posted by pan0phobik:
What kind of LS1 Camaro should an 18 year old get?
The 3.8 liter kind! :p

SFB767 06-02-2003 05:15 PM

Wow, it sounds like a lot of people like Navy Blue Metallic in here, must be a great color.;)

I'm 21 and I got my car back in February. I REALLY wanted a Z28 ever since they came out in '93. Make sure you're very informed when you're looking for your car, when you go on a test drive, test everything else before you test the accelerator.

Don't buy more car than you can afford.

Get used to the car before you mod it. These cars are EXTREMELY fast bone stock and I can only imagine they would scream with the right mods.

Try to avoid red if you can, that color is a theif and cop magnet.

PJS TOY 06-02-2003 05:34 PM

Whatever you decide, just be VERY careful. These cars are strong and will snap out from under you in a heart beat. Go slow and easy at first. This is no Durango. I have been driving and building these things for over 35 years and it still suprises how fast it was even before the mods.

Good Luck and have fun at the track.

Oh, SSCamaro_3, well said!

PJ

bigsteve7 06-02-2003 06:40 PM

Originally posted by PJS TOY
Whatever you decide, just be VERY careful. These cars are strong and will snap out from under you in a heart beat. Go slow and easy at first. This is no Durango. I have been driving and building these things for over 35 years and it still suprises how fast it was even before the mods.

Good Luck and have fun at the track.

Oh, SSCamaro_3, well said!

PJ

I dont have a LS1, but I second that.

I used to drive my '77 daily, which had much less power and acceleration. However, I learned pretty easily hwo to drive that car to its limits. You coudl really feel when you were about to loose traction and there wasnt enough power to really break the rear end lose.

When I got my '95 Z a few months ago, it was a totally different car. Much more power (275hp LT1) and the suspension was years ahead of the '77's giving it a lot more grip. To sum it up, my new car is a lot more car than I am capable of driving to its full potential. Drop the car to second and give it a little bit of gas going around a turn in the wet and the car can easily just slide out on you. Press the gas and the road quickly gets shorter. It just takes a bit of carelessness to mess up. Theyre a lot of fun, but definately be careful.

With that said, I really wanted a LS1 but found my LT1 car at a good price so hopped on it. Depending on your budget you should be able to get whatever car you want. No version of the LS1 cars (firebird, WS6, firehawk, SS, Z28 etc.) is really any faster than others. Its all about which cosmetics you like and what yoru bugdget will allow. The 01-02 cars do seem to make a bit more power than the older models but its not a signifigant enough amount to dismiss getting a '98-00 car. Also, there really isnt much of a signifigatn difference in acceleration numbers between teh autos and manuals.

Hope you find the car youre looking for at a price you can afford. Good luck. :)

SFB767 06-02-2003 07:32 PM

Originally posted by bigsteve7
Drop the car to second and give it a little bit of gas going around a turn in the wet and the car can easily just slide out on you. Press the gas and the road quickly gets shorter. It just takes a bit of carelessness to mess up. Theyre a lot of fun, but definately be careful.
Well said.

Don't let what we're saying make you think Z28s are unsafe, but if you don't know how to handle that power, they can be unsafe. A guy I know who used to work for the FL Highway Patrol said 2 troopers wrecked two Camaros so far because they weren't used to them.

Try to avoid nailing the gas in traffic, because you WILL catch up the cars in front of you very fast and you might rearend someone.

These cars can be unsafe in the rain if you don't drive them safely. The ASR does work, but these cars make so much power that the tires will easily spin when the ASR is on.

When people look at Camaros, they think it's a small car, but it's actually pretty wide and somewhat long. I don't know what you're coming from, but the width and low ride height takes a little while to get used to.

Aklaim 06-02-2003 07:42 PM

Re: Re: What kind've LS1 Camaro should an 18 year old get?

Originally posted by ratio411
The 3.8 liter kind! :p
AGREED!! I know of way too many kids that have rapped their cars around poles and trees. And all that does is show that most NOT all of the younger crowd cant handle these cars, and should have never of been behind the wheel to start. People get hurt and my insurance goes up because little punk kids want to street race and show off for their friends. The v6 cars are plenty fast for somebody just out of, or in high school. Learn how to drive that and by the time your 21 you might be ready for an LS1.

StylezZ28 06-02-2003 08:13 PM

Re: Re: Re: What kind've LS1 Camaro should an 18 year old get?

Originally posted by Aklaim
AGREED!! I know of way too many kids that have rapped their cars around poles and trees. And all that does is show that most NOT all of the younger crowd cant handle these cars, and should have never of been behind the wheel to start. People get hurt and my insurance goes up because little punk kids want to street race and show off for their friends. The v6 cars are plenty fast for somebody just out of, or in high school. Learn how to drive that and by the time your 21 you might be ready for an LS1.
lol! ok not to start any wars, and i respect u are older and more driving experience, but who are u to say that he should settle for a 3.8? I know its a suggestion but overall the 3.8 is a dog. it can be made fast w/ a lot of money however. I personally have a 02 LS1. I don't find it overbearing at all and i am 17. True i drive a 585 hp Nova ever week at the track, But that just proves that no one should be sayin he should get a v6. He could be some outstanding driver and a very self controlled person. He specifically asked for what ls1. Lets give him the answer he wants.

People get hurt and my insurance goes up because little punk kids want to street race and show off for their friends.
Kids? Maybe for ur sake u should attend these organized street races.. its not all "Kids" people there are 25+ as well! :)

SpecForceZ28 06-02-2003 08:20 PM

he said LS1. Not the 3.8 engine

pan0phobik 06-02-2003 08:48 PM

Test drove a 95 Z28 w/ 84,000 miles on it... Blew ass.
Then i went across town and drove a 97 Z28 w/ 28,000 miles on it.. drove smoother and felt better.. was in awesome condition for $12,500... but still not what i wanted. I need to drive an LS1 and see if it's much different, otherwise i'm gonna start leaning toward mustangs.

SSCamaro99_3 06-02-2003 09:43 PM

Originally posted by pan0phobik
Test drove a 95 Z28 w/ 84,000 miles on it... Blew ass.
Then i went across town and drove a 97 Z28 w/ 28,000 miles on it.. drove smoother and felt better.. was in awesome condition for $12,500... but still not what i wanted. I need to drive an LS1 and see if it's much different, otherwise i'm gonna start leaning toward mustangs.

The Mustang will "sound faster". The Ford's seem to make a great note. Although headers and duals on an LS1 is sweet. I think a Mustang will dissappoint you. I had a brand new GT by half a car at the top of first gear. Only the Cobra's are really impressive, and few 18 year olds this side of Kyle Busch should even breathe on the keys to one. I can get my car rolling easy, nail it, and blow the tires off through the top of first.

Ferocity02 06-02-2003 10:04 PM

I'm 16 and have a 99 Z28. No I'm not a spoiled brat, in fact I worked for three summers and saved my money all my life for this thing. It's been a challenge to take care of, warped rotors, bad wheel bearing, scratches, rattles, etc.... and now a random SES light. Other than that it's fun, and becuase it's orange, I get lots of looks:D :cool:

Sandman_97Z 06-02-2003 10:54 PM

No offense to anyone, but I think its funny that EVERY time the subject of age comes up, it seems like EVERY SINGLE TEENAGE KID out there who drives a LT1/LT4/LS1/LS6 has worked for a million summers and saved up every single penny their whole life and has their car COMPLETELY PAID OFF and pays for their OWN INSURANCE and their OWN MODS and everthing else...

...sorry but, at 16 and 17 and 18, i gotta say...

:bs:

I mean cmon...you guys arent impressing anyone

I wish my mommy and daddy would pay for my car/insurance/mods/etc...

But like I said, no offense, just my opinion. :cool:

Aklaim 06-02-2003 11:02 PM

How true, and also at 16.......saving up your whole life, really isnt all that long. thats like 3 - 4 years, sumertimes only max. And unless your born with a silver spoon in your mouth 16 year old kids dont make that much money. this is also just my opinion, and yes im aware that opinions are like a$$holes.....everybody has one.

Ferocity02 06-02-2003 11:07 PM

Originally posted by Sandman_97Z
No offense to anyone, but I think its funny that EVERY time the subject of age comes up, it seems like EVERY SINGLE TEENAGE KID out there who drives a LT1/LT4/LS1/LS6 has worked for a million summers and saved up every single penny their whole life and has their car COMPLETELY PAID OFF and pays for their OWN INSURANCE and their OWN MODS and everthing else...

...sorry but, at 16 and 17 and 18, i gotta say...

:bs:

I mean cmon...you guys arent impressing anyone

I wish my mommy and daddy would pay for my car/insurance/mods/etc...

But like I said, no offense, just my opinion.

Well sorry to say I paid for my entire car. I've never had anything fun much more than a mountain bike, nothing motorized. I currently have a job and pay half of my insurance and pay everything for my mods. I pay for service and any fix ups. My insurance company placed me on our old '83 pickup so my insurance is very cheap.

pan0phobik 06-02-2003 11:14 PM

I shouldn't have even said my age. I was curious about camaros. Not how people pay for them/buy them. I said my age because I was hoping people would give me cost-efficient solutions while still having a fun/reliable car. and So what if kids dont pay for their cars? Is it hurting you any? No.. Then why do you let it bother you so much? Yea i dont pay for everything I hvae either.. but I plan on repaying my parents greatly in the future after I get a job after college. Helping w/ their retirement and such. Yes.. there ARE some spoiled *******s that take everything for granted... but there are ppl who get things and are also decent people. My 17 year old friend just got an '03 Cobra that he didnt pay for 100% on his own. Am I mad? No... more props to the guy.
Quit w/ the damn controversy and talk about the Camaros guys.