LS1 Based Engine Tech LS1 / LS6 / LS2 / LS3 / LS7 Engine Tech

what the hell??

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2006, 02:42 PM

Re: what the hell??

Originally Posted by AL SS590 M6
I have never seen or heard of any stock GTO running mid 12s. I have seen many run here in MI and even with some mods 12 are tough.

I would never be afraid of a stock GTO with a stock LS1 f-body.
Then they are 04 GTOs, or the drivers can't launch on the IRS. On the street I would be worried about running a stock fbody against one, especially if it wasn't from a dig. The Goat will pull harder on the top end.
Old 07-24-2006, 07:28 AM

Originally Posted by RussStang
Then they are 04 GTOs, or the drivers can't launch on the IRS. On the street I would be worried about running a stock fbody against one, especially if it wasn't from a dig. The Goat will pull harder on the top end.
Russ you need to realize that I go to the drag strip a LOT and I'm an officer in a local car club with a couple of hundred members several have GTOs and several of those are 05s. They do not and will not run mid 12s bone stock. Which is what you said. I don't doubt that somewhere in the country somebody took one to a sealevel track in 40° weather and ran 12s. But they do NOT run any faster than stock f-bodies. Our old 98 SS went 13.3 bone stock and my Formula went 13.3s bone stock and I've yet to have a local guy post up that he ran better than that with a GTO.
As I said I would have absolutely no fear of lining up beside any totally stock any year GTO at the strip with the SS.

With a few mods they are like any other LS1 car or LT1 car or Mustang or.........well you get the idea. Any car can beat any other car if you have the right mods or the other guy can't drive.

Last edited by AL SS590 M6; 07-24-2006 at 07:31 AM.
Old 07-24-2006, 12:10 PM

Originally Posted by AL SS590 M6
Yeah, the run I am talking about was done on a cold day with perfect conditions, at a really good track (forget which one). However, the dude did turn a 12.6 with no mods, better than even the fastest stock fbodies I have seen, in any temperature or climate. I am not disagreeing with you about an LS1 fbody being a good run for an LS2 GTO. I have never heard of a stock fbody turn a 12.6 though.

Edit - Here is a link of an 05 GTO running a 12.9 with an auto. Its the only link I could find at the moment, given I am going out the door at the moment.

http://www.ls2gto.com/forums/showthread.php?t=51214

Stick car could pull more time out of that pass. I will see what I can find later on.

Last edited by RussStang; 07-24-2006 at 12:15 PM.
Old 07-24-2006, 01:19 PM

Does it really matter which is faster? My thoughts on this argument:

- If you push a GTO and an F-body out the back of a cargo plane at the same time, they'll both hit the ground at the same time....therefore, they're equally fast in optimal, stock-operating conditions.
- Why don't we just dig a half mile ditch 3 miles deep in the northern desert, drop a GTO down there on a cold winter night and get that bitch into the 11's bone stock just so we can say stock GTO's run 11's.

Unless someone's got money or a title on the line, it really doesn't matter which one is faster. Besides, when the cars are that close performance wise, it becomes a driver's race anyway. If you guys are going to continue to argue this, at least get a decent average of track times from both cars that have been SAE corrected for weather/altitude/conditions. Then, the faster of the two will be obvious. This BS about "what I saw on ONE GUY'S post in some GTO forum" doesn't amount to anything statistically. It's called an outlier - it's a data point outside of the statistical norm. Get some real data...

Judging by the sole fact that Al's at the track almost everytime I've been there and even more when I'm not, I'd say he's got a step up on you with this one Russ.

Last edited by SSpdDmon; 07-29-2006 at 10:04 AM.
Old 07-28-2006, 10:48 PM

Location: Somewhere between a shotgun barrel, and a blood spatter on the wall.

05 goats and 01 02 ls1's stock for stock is a drivers race.

also you left quite a few "danger" cars out of that list... you want to talk about all the things that can beat you stock for stock or even mods on the roads today you missed much, including about all of our good friend germany's contributions to the international auto industry.

also.. don't have a heart attack if you beat a viper as well.... 95-98 and i think all the way to 01' rt/10's run bottom 13's stock gts's and 01's+ are a different story tho. those are about a second faster

i've done it.
Old 07-29-2006, 04:28 PM

Originally Posted by frmula1
05 goats and 01 02 ls1's stock for stock is a drivers race.

also you left quite a few "danger" cars out of that list... you want to talk about all the things that can beat you stock for stock or even mods on the roads today you missed much, including about all of our good friend germany's contributions to the international auto industry.

also.. don't have a heart attack if you beat a viper as well.... 95-98 and i think all the way to 01' rt/10's run bottom 13's stock gts's and 01's+ are a different story tho. those are about a second faster

i've done it.
Yeah, but those early Gen I Vipers have also turned 12.6s before, outside of the realm of an LS1 fbody.
Old 07-29-2006, 06:11 PM

Then we can also bring up STi's. They're w/in the realm of a stock LS1, but on the street the AWD can easily put a hurting on a traction limited f-bod.
Old 07-29-2006, 08:54 PM

does the 99 dollar lid really make that much of a difference?
Old 07-29-2006, 10:06 PM

8-10 hp

OR you can buy a used one for $50 and get the same gains.
Old 07-30-2006, 09:15 PM

Originally Posted by Greed4Speed
Then we can also bring up STi's. They're w/in the realm of a stock LS1, but on the street the AWD can easily put a hurting on a traction limited f-bod.
Yes, they are quite the awesome machine.

8-10 hp

OR you can buy a used one for $50 and get the same gains.
I am in agreement with this as well. The lid is worth it, but if you can find a used one, it is even more worth it.