LS1 Based Engine Tech LS1 / LS6 / LS2 / LS3 / LS7 Engine Tech

Weird thing happened tonight

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2003, 03:42 AM

Unhappy Weird thing happened tonight

I was racing my buddies Roush Mustang on the way home tonight. We went from a roll and I was in 2nd and I threw it into 3rd and as soon as I let the clutch out there was a HUGE banging noise from under the the center console. I mean, this thing knocked open my center console lid, knocked my phone out of the cupholder, and even knocked the change holder in the console out of it's slot. The car swerved a little but I quickly grabbed the clutch as soon as it happened and pulled it out of gear. After that the car was fine. I drove home and got on it a tiny bit and the shifts were normal. My car has about 19000 miles on it and I've never experienced this problem. I don't know what the hell would cause this so any suggestions at all are very much appreciated.

- John
Old 05-24-2003, 05:11 AM

I'm thinking maybe you ran over something? Better get underneath and have a look.
Old 05-24-2003, 07:13 AM

tranny mount guarenteed. my stock one looked fine but any hard powershifting and the console would bang away.
Old 05-24-2003, 07:17 AM

You missed third and went into first. That's how pushrods are bent. And you might have broken the tranny mount in the process. And before you ask, if you bent some pushrods you'll have a steady slight miss at idle and the car will seam a little down on power.
Old 05-24-2003, 12:52 PM

thats exactly what i was going to say. i bet you hit first in stead of 3rd. ive done it, well 3rd to 2nd instead of 4th. shook the hole car. i however could not drive it home as it wouldn't start. bent all 8 intake valves, and all 8 pushords for them. ended up replacing all intake valves, all 16 pushrods and springs. and if you do it yourself like i did, you have to buy new bolts because you can only use them once.
but you soound like your car still runs so you shouldn't have to take off your heads to do the intake valves, but you probably did bend a pushrod
Old 05-24-2003, 02:13 PM

Can anybody give me the link that shows how to take your pushrods out to inspect if they are bent? I saw it a long timg ago but I can't seem to find it now. Thanks.

- John
Old 05-26-2003, 12:55 AM

u missed 3rd gear!

its happened to the best of them, dont feel odd!
Old 05-26-2003, 01:33 AM

remove your plug wires from your coils, then remove the coild rail from the valve cover, remove your valve cover, remove your rockers, then pull out pushrods. once out roll them on something you know is perfectly flat. if any of them don't roll straight, they are bent. then replace the bent ones, or just buy some stronger ones anyways while they are out.
then reassemble in the opposite way you took the stuff out/off.

gl with it
Old 05-26-2003, 04:06 AM

gl getting the rockers back to spec also
Old 05-26-2003, 04:21 AM

http://www.ls1camaro.net/sections.ph...ticle&artid=66
Old 05-26-2003, 05:47 PM

How long does it usually take from start to finish for a beginner to check pushrods? I have missed 3rd a few times already
Old 05-26-2003, 09:24 PM

Originally posted by ZIPPERR
How long does it usually take from start to finish for a beginner to check pushrods? I have missed 3rd a few times already
You have missed third and went to 1st a few times already?

I sure hope this dont happen from just missing 3rd,as in your gettin on it and go for third and dont engage 3rd before you let clutch out.And have a brief rev up because you go for the gas,as clutch is let out but arent in 3rd. Boy I have done this a couple of times but usually recover quick and get third after a pause.

Does that bend push rods,or just 2nd to 1st(missed 3rd) or 3rd to 2nd(missed 4th) I have never done that yet hope I'm safe.
Old 05-26-2003, 09:42 PM

I have missed 3rd and went to 1st at least twice. from what I understand pushrods are easy to bend. I have a slight miss at idle so that tells me I might have a bent pushrod
Old 05-27-2003, 06:25 AM

Originally posted by #7
Does that bend push rods,or just 2nd to 1st(missed 3rd) or 3rd to 2nd(missed 4th) I have never done that yet hope I'm safe.
Missing a gear will not generally bend pushrods as the rev limiter will do it's job.
Miss shifting into a lower gear, the cars momentum pushes the revs way higher than the rev limit bending the pushrods.
Old 05-27-2003, 08:21 AM

Would a factory warranty cover bent pushrods? I wonder if any of mine got bent. I pulled into a gas station one night and gave it a lil rev and all of a sudden it went to redline and bounced off redline a few times. I turned the car off during the redline commotion and then turned it back on and same thing. Turned out that somehow my floormat stuck the gas pedal down to the metal. Pissed me off. Then another time I miss shifted from 3rd to 2nd instead of 3rd to fourth. Car seems okay, just gut wrenching when it all happend.

Quick Reply: Weird thing happened tonight