LS1 Based Engine Tech LS1 / LS6 / LS2 / LS3 / LS7 Engine Tech

Warped rotors, go figure.

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2003, 10:43 PM

Warped rotors, go figure.

Ahh. Well its time to fix the rotors again. The car is recently out of warranty, about 4k miles ago. So its time to either do it ourselves, or get it repaired. Im shooting for ourselves, because I have a feeling Id need the lube if I took it to the dealer.

I just want to know what my best options are, and about how much Im looking to spend. I dont want anything real fancy or expensive. I dont need rotors worthy of autXing or anything like that, Id just like something better than stock. I had them turned twice under warranty, so its defentinally time to get some new ones. How much does a decent set of rotors cost for an Ls1? My dad is pretty good with cars, he changes the brakes and stuff all the time on the other cars, are the rotors going to be a lot more work than changing bads and stuff like that? Hes pretty good with tinkering, he just doesnt like to mess with the computer stuff. He swapped the water pump in the buick before.

Just want to know where I should look for decent rotors, and how much labor is required to change them. Thanks guys.
Old 07-08-2003, 10:55 PM

Autozone (Aimco) Rotors

They are a little stronger than stock. The front ones are $38 each, and the rears are around $60 each. Paint the hubs on them though so they dont rust.
Old 07-10-2003, 09:15 AM

Do you have any part numbers or anything? If I do go with those Id like exact numbers to make it as easy on those people as possible. Id hate to get the wrong rotors.

Does anyone else have suggestions?
Old 07-10-2003, 09:24 AM

Originally posted by Ferocity02
Autozone (Aimco) Rotors
I second that. Replace them yourself, it is easy.

You might put new OEM GM pads on at the same time if you have 40K miles. I would not use any pads that AZ sells, but their rotors rock!
Old 07-10-2003, 09:43 AM

Throw a 3rd vote in for the Autozone (Aimco) rotors... as long as you are not looking for a performance upgrade...

I just did all 4 rotors and pads on my fiance's 01 Monte SS... they work very very smooth!

Very satisfied.
Old 07-10-2003, 09:54 AM

I don't think any stock size rotor is going to offer a performance advantage.
Old 07-10-2003, 09:57 AM

Originally posted by chuck
I don't think any stock size rotor is going to offer a performance advantage.
That is pretty much what I meant...

Or, you could go cross-drilled or slotted....
Old 07-10-2003, 10:05 AM

Originally posted by Darth Xed
Thats not going to make your car stop any faster. If anything it reduces swept area. To be honest, the stock brakes are enough to induce an ABS event. Unless you are road racing, and need to combat heat buildup from repetitive hard stops, there is no reason to "upgrade".
Old 07-10-2003, 10:06 AM

Originally posted by chuck
Thats not going to make your car stop any faster. If anything it reduces swept area. To be honest, the stock brakes are enough to induce an ABS event. Unless you are road racing, and need to combat heat buildup from repetitive hard stops, there is no reason to "upgrade".
Agreed... I guess it just depends on the application, priority and the definition of "performance upgrade"...
Old 07-10-2003, 11:29 AM

Cool

Im going with the autozone rotors as well, i just need to stop spending all this cash on weddings. The slotted/cross drilled rotors will increase stopping power though. maybe not that much, but it will. when brakes squeek, its sometimes caused tby the gases the pads produce during heavy stopping. the pads "vaporize and produce a gas that has nowhere to go, this is where the slots and holes come into play. and they increase cooling obviously. Mikey, id change the pads while your in there too. paint the hubs (and anything not touching the pads on the rotors), and paint the calipers if you have the time. make sure you use a good caliper paint...vht i think it is is only like 5 or 6 bucks a can. and id use some of that blue brake quiet (dont get any on the surface of the pads or in the pistons). And the new rotors will be packed in opil, make sure you spray some brake cleaner/degreaser to get all of it off. the rotors should be clean when you put them on. goodluck boss. And id put a better pad on than a typical murrays/autozone pad. Ive had good luck with AZ pads on other cars though...
Old 07-10-2003, 02:42 PM

Originally posted by asianice25
The slotted/cross drilled rotors will increase stopping power though. maybe not that much, but it will. when brakes squeek, its sometimes caused tby the gases the pads produce during heavy stopping. the pads "vaporize and produce a gas that has nowhere to go, this is where the slots and holes come into play. and they increase cooling obviously.
I once believed that as well, but have been convinced that modern pads do not outgas and what I posted above. Also, I have yet to see drilled rotors that don't crack from a hole to the outer edge after a day on a road course. The AZ rotors I have now have 5 days on a road course on them, and several autox with very agressive rae pads.
Old 07-10-2003, 03:07 PM

Agreed, i dont think its as big of a deal, but i also think it depends on the pads ytou use. Metallic, semi, organic. theres no way dirt and whatever else in an organic pad will withstand the heat without gasing. and the theory behind the slotted/cross drilled rotors makes sense...i just dont know if it makes $100 a piece wirth if sense.
Old 07-10-2003, 03:21 PM

Originally posted by Darth Xed
Those are more or less for appearance and nothing more. They can break more easily and offer no performance increase.
Old 07-10-2003, 03:46 PM

Originally posted by SiggyBaby
Those are more or less for appearance and nothing more. They can break more easily and offer no performance increase.
Um.... Read the above comments.

Slots/Cross Drilled are intended to relieve the gas pressure, and offer brake cooling.

It's not "just for looks"...
Old 07-11-2003, 09:29 PM

http://corner-carvers.com/altimathread.php.html

Quick Reply: Warped rotors, go figure.