LS1 Based Engine Tech LS1 / LS6 / LS2 / LS3 / LS7 Engine Tech

Too good a deal?

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2003, 02:31 AM

Too good a deal?

There's a 2000 SS with 34k miles on it sitting on a Chrysler dealership used lot for 13900$ a mile from my house
. Leather, cd, ttops, power everything....a car like that KBB's like 16k, is there something that must be wrong or are they just trying to get the car off the lot before snow starts to fall (im in NJ) I mean, I'm sure they paid less for it during trade-in but still....I'm going to look at it on wednesday.
Old 11-04-2003, 02:33 AM

Ask the dealer for a carfax report, all dealers will do a carfax for you.
Old 11-04-2003, 03:28 AM

but also have a mech. inspect it to be 100% sure.
make sure it hasn't been in an ax, etc...

i got a '98z28 w/19,700 mi in 2001 for $14,995

it's fine so far...so good deals are out there
Old 11-04-2003, 08:23 AM
Banned

Re: Too good a deal?

Originally posted by StealthElephant
There's a 2000 SS with 34k miles on it sitting on a Chrysler dealership used lot for 13900$ a mile from my house
. Leather, cd, ttops, power everything....a car like that KBB's like 16k, is there something that must be wrong or are they just trying to get the car off the lot before snow starts to fall (im in NJ) I mean, I'm sure they paid less for it during trade-in but still....I'm going to look at it on wednesday.
where about in jersey ?
Old 11-04-2003, 08:28 AM

I picked up a 2001 Z28 about three weeks ago, leather, loaded, T-tops, the whole nine.
the car had 14,505 miles was super clean and previously owned by a 50yo lady. Are you ready for this, i got them down to $16,500
Old 11-04-2003, 10:00 AM

don't rely on carfax, dealers give you one, so it doesn't hurt to check it, but make you get it independently checked out. Also check the VIN for recalls if something does go wrong. A month after my trany had prob, I found out there was a recall, oh well already fixed it.
Old 11-04-2003, 10:30 AM

Re: Too good a deal?

That's a good deal.

Sometimes dealers will drastically lower a price if they can't move a car. I bought my car from a dealership that sells primarily Buicks to old people. When my car was in the paper for the first time, it was $17,995, they lowered it to $13,995 5 months later and I bought it. I've had some problems, but it's a fairly solid car.

If you're worried, pay a mechanic to do a thorough inspection and tell them you're coming in advance so they won't do it too fast. If the dealer says it doesn't need to be inspected, then have it inspected.
Old 11-04-2003, 10:47 AM

get a report definately...the dealer might of had it awhile and is just tryin to get rid of it...definately a good deal
Old 11-04-2003, 11:01 AM

I'm definately going to take a look at the car. I can't imagine what could be "wrong" with the car at 34k miles. It's a dealership not some used car lot buying random cars from auctions, my sister leases her jeep from them, so I'm guessing they got the car as a trade in and want to unload it. Like some of you said, I think they know that winter is coming, and probably are trying to unload it.
Old 11-04-2003, 12:40 PM

of the top of my head the titles status will prolly influance the price of a seemingly fine vehicle the most..

salvage titles etc.. get a mech to check it.

/tek.
Old 11-04-2003, 02:13 PM

I am assuming it is an automatic, The manuals In NJ seem to hold a higher resale value.
Also with winter right around the cornor, geting a good deal on a muscle car is very possible.

I walked into the dealer in January of 02 during a BLIZZARD, I saw my car in the showroom, it had every option but the leather seats (just the way I wanted it) and with only 10K miles, took it for a test drive (yes on the snow) and payed $12.2K
Old 11-04-2003, 06:09 PM

"Blizzard", "test drive in the snow" - I love that!
Old 11-04-2003, 06:22 PM

i bought my car from the dealer. when i went to test drive it we had to push 3 inches of snow off it!
Old 11-04-2003, 07:48 PM

Chris: Could I ask what dealer that was?

Assuming the car is in good condition I'll probably try and get the price down at least 1000$. I won't push my luck, cause the current price really is pretty decent, just depends on the condition of the car.

The car is an auto...anything I should look for problem wise?

I dont' need a mechanic to tell me that he smells oil or coolant burning. First thing I do when I go there tomorrow is I'm going to have them start the car...make sure our buddy Mr. Piston Slap is nowhere to be found.

I mean, my parents are friends with the owner of a Mobil station, hes always more then happy to check out cars for us at no charge so it's not really an issue, I can do general mechanical checks myself, unless theres something specific a mechanic should be looking for.
Old 11-04-2003, 09:02 PM

Re: Re: Too good a deal?

Originally posted by SFB767
That's a good deal.

Sometimes dealers will drastically lower a price if they can't move a car. I bought my car from a dealership that sells primarily Buicks to old people. When my car was in the paper for the first time, it was $17,995, they lowered it to $13,995 5 months later and I bought it. I've had some problems, but it's a fairly solid car.

If you're worried, pay a mechanic to do a thorough inspection and tell them you're coming in advance so they won't do it too fast. If the dealer says it doesn't need to be inspected, then have it inspected.
you are exactly right , if it sits for more then a few months they will slash the price to move it ..............Sounds like a great deal to me , I just got a 99 trans am for 8000 dollars and it looks like it just rolled off the show room , smells like it to !

Quick Reply: Too good a deal?