LS1 Based Engine Tech LS1 / LS6 / LS2 / LS3 / LS7 Engine Tech

Thoughts on the LS1.

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2003, 01:38 PM

Thoughts on the LS1.

Last week I had just wrecked my 94 Z28 and now I'm thinking about 98 or higher so that I can have the famed LS1! I was just wondering about the pros and cons of the LS1, what has been been improved on the interior since the LT1 cars and so on. I know more power and there wont be a need for as many parts for 12's. By the way what's it take for 12's in an LS1? Thanks!
Old 07-11-2003, 01:49 PM

congratulations!

i'm no mechanic, but there's no opti.
and besides some cases of piston slap, most people say the ls1's are great. my used '98z has had no problems. my belts squeak on cold starts but that's it.
Old 07-11-2003, 02:05 PM

Piston slap is no big deal, most of the new chevys have that problem. Does anybody know what it takes to get these into the twelves?
Old 07-11-2003, 02:12 PM

A LS1 can run 12's bone stock. You just have to be a damn good driver.
Old 07-11-2003, 02:36 PM

sticky tires.
Old 07-11-2003, 04:27 PM

Wink

My car ran 13.4 with just a new lid, all else was stock (even 2.73 gears). With stickier tires, it should be darn close to 12's. A 6-speed car (with 3.42's) can hit 12's much easier (with a good driver).

IMO, I'd say spend the few extra bucks for an LS1. I think GM finally did something right with these engines..........they're good on gas, yet they make awesome horsepower, and you've seen the times that LS1 cars run. They're also easier to work on than LT1 cars (plug wires on an LT1 took me ~6 hours!).

Good luck car hunting!
Old 07-11-2003, 05:42 PM

Well I just sold my modded 93 and bought my 01 so I think I would have a good opinion on the matter

My 93 had heads cam, all bolt ons, Targa RS seats, full suspension etc, etc. Ran 12.6 on Nitto 17 tire. had a 100K hard miles and was in BUEATIFUL SHAPE. Never had a problem with the opti, never had a problem with anything besides the Battery and the auto (which I rebuilt twice then replaced with a T56)

IF I could do it all over again I would have kept it. Now before everyone starts trippin I LOVE my 01 WS6. But I don't think there is as much differences in these cars and motor potentials as everyone seems to think. In fact I don't think this LS1 can handle the abuse the LT1 did always feels like something is going to break, to prove my point the clutch just burnt out at 14K miles.

Anyways if I was in your shoes I would look for a low mileage car in VERY good shape for a good price. Both cars are great if all you find are 60K+ LS1 and you find a 35+ PERFECT LT1 for a hella of a deal I'd take the LT1. You could have a heads and cam, headers installed for the half of the money you save and have a 400RWHP car. But if you find an LS1 car with low miles for a great deal and and LT1 same I'd take the LS1 for the reasons stated above.

It also comes down to looks I got rid of the 93 and got the WS6 with 14K on it for less than 20K And this is the reason just look at it

http://home.comcast.net/~moton.b/wsb...--graphic.html
Old 07-11-2003, 06:18 PM

Man that's a bad *** car, I was thinking about a WS6 but my wife loves Camaros so I don't know what I'd end up getting. I finnaly leaving Texas to go back to Sacramento where there seem to be better quality cars so I'm going to buy a Toyota 4x4 to get me home and sell that and my Pathfinder and get what I really want, all together that leaves me with almost 15,000 cash so My options are open. The only way I'd change my mind on the LS1 car would be if I could find a 97 LT4! But who knows the 35th ann. cars look good too plus I get warranty and that's something different.
Old 07-11-2003, 08:09 PM
LBJ

I have that it is a good idea to stay away from the 1998's, they tend to be a bit quirky with mods. Anybody else have input on that? This is my first LS1, chevy for that matter......I had a 01 Cobra vert mineral gray it was tight but it just couldn't match the LS1 power.
Old 07-11-2003, 09:09 PM

The LS1 is one bitchin' motor.

There's probably no other V8 out there that will put >300 HP to the wheels, have BIG power throughout most of the RPM range and get 25 MPG.

The only thing that I dislike about my car is the auto. tranny's "dead spot" at about 40 MPH. If you're going 40 and punch it, the motor kind of bogs down before it gets up to speed.

If you have a stock exhaust like me, you can really hear the motor growl when you nail it to pass someone, it sounds great.

If you can swing it, definitely get an LS1 F-Body, if you've never ridden in one or driven one before, prepare to be impressed because these cars do not disappoint.

Last edited by SFB767; 07-11-2003 at 09:13 PM.
Old 07-11-2003, 11:43 PM

Hmm.. LS1!!!!

I just bought a 1998 LS1 (SS) and my car TOTALLY blew me away, my friend has a 1994 LT1 (Z), his LT1 w/ exhaust and a few other mods, was no match for my SS, i mean im not tryin to diss an LT1, but i will never get one, LS1 all the way, trust me i think it would be HIGHLY worth it, ANYDAY, LS1 =
Old 07-11-2003, 11:56 PM

Cool, gonna do it maybe not as soon as I'd like but soon enough, you guys talked me into it like it was really that hard to do after looking at all of the LS1 vids. Sorry LT1 but I found a new money pit. But then again if there is an LT4 around I'll have to grab it just for down the road reasons, but not as fun. I wanted to keep the LT1 and get an LS1 down the road but now I guees I'll just do it the other way. Plus it's a been there done that kinda thing. Thanks guys you really helped push me over the edge on this one. Now the next delima, SS or Ws6?
Old 07-12-2003, 12:00 AM

Exclamation DOesnt matta

I think they both have their own likes dislikes, ur choice, u have to make the bed u sleep in there or in your case, remember ur girl is there with ya, if she likes camaros, dont **** the woman off, but hey im only 17, i have no worrys on wifes , right now , but yea me im a Camaro person thats why i bought the SS, i found 3 WS6 here but i wanted the SS so i waited until i found her, and no dissapointment here, she rocks my world , good thing the gf doesnt see that, hehehe, well man good luck on the dilema, its gonna be hella hard....but if ya find the LT4, u know where to go....good luck on the hunt
Old 07-12-2003, 12:21 AM

Originally posted by 93TAWicked1

My 93 had heads cam, all bolt ons, Targa RS seats, full suspension etc, etc. Ran 12.6 on Nitto 17 tire ...

IF I could do it all over again I would have kept it. Now before everyone starts trippin I LOVE my 01 WS6. But I don't think there is as much differences in these cars and motor potentials as everyone seems to think. ..

Depends on what your definition of a difference is ... the same mods you had on your '93 for a 12.6 are good for an 11.6 on an LS1 ...
Old 07-12-2003, 12:47 AM

And that is why I'm goin' with the lS1! Cheaper in the long run.

Quick Reply: Thoughts on the LS1.