LS1 Based Engine Tech LS1 / LS6 / LS2 / LS3 / LS7 Engine Tech

T-Tops

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2003, 07:10 PM

T-Tops

I have lost 3 driver side tops off my car while driving. It has also happened at the drag strip. Normally it occurs when I shift from 1st to 2nd, however i have lost one while running aroung 160. I have a 99 Z28 with tubular frt A-arms, sub-frame connectors, G2 lower control arms, panhard rod, solid motor and tranny mounts, spohn torque arm, and 407 hp and 396 ft lbs. of torque. I haven't even put the bottle or a blower on my car yet. I have the supercharger in the box but I spend more money on tops that i do in a car payment. Before i install it I want to make sure i'm not gonna loose any more tops. Cause at 160+ when a t-top flys out you tend to get a little scared.

I only loose the driver side top not the passenger. I even keep'em locked. What is the best way to halp stregnthen the body without caging it? I love the sleeper look and don't want big bars that people can see!!

Does anyone know of a website or a shop that might sell any kind of body stiffing package?

PLEASE HELP ME!!!!
Old 07-14-2003, 07:38 PM

Old 07-14-2003, 07:51 PM

Its not bs i have a vid of a guy loosin a t-top on the dragstrip
Old 07-14-2003, 08:07 PM

For a t-top to just "magically" fly away, the way I see it, defies physics. Either there is something wrong with your locking mechanism (the holes on the care the locks stick into) or you are not properly putting the t-top in. But losing 3 must really suck though. Good luck finding the problem.
Old 07-14-2003, 09:07 PM

Something to check...

Hopefully I'm not beating you with the obvous stick here, but check this...

On my car the back T-top mount bolts on the drivers side had worked there way loose, and started to slide backwards. What this did was make the amount the rod engaged into this back mount less. I've never lost one, but I could sure see it happening with a problem like this. Try adjusting the two mounts on that side as close to each other as you can. Hope it helps. I now have almost 1/2 inch of engagement, and I'm thinking thats more then enough to allow for some chassis flex.

David
Old 07-14-2003, 09:19 PM

OK since he is gettin some doubters heres the site with the vid of some1 loosing their t-top at the track. Its the link labled Jay - oops! link
Old 07-14-2003, 10:37 PM

i also had a buddy of mine have his ttop just all of a sudden rip out and fly away...he was doing about 75mph. that video was cool looked like a pilot about to eject and blowing the hatch..sweeeeeeeet
Old 07-15-2003, 09:52 AM

Are you sure that it has never been wrecked? That is the first thing that comes to mind for me. Mine stayed on at 155 MPH

Ed
Old 07-15-2003, 09:59 AM

Damn I really had my doubts at first but after seeing that video, that sucks. I would take them off when i raced if that could happen.

Don't those things run about $750 a piece?
Old 07-15-2003, 10:38 AM

Its just the body flex from the torque when shifting.
Old 07-15-2003, 08:19 PM

T-tops

Thanks guys I'm serious i lose them alot. I did measure the gap and the gap is 7/16 in the rear and 1/4 in the front. the passenger side is like an 1/8 on the frt and back. I took my car to Speed Works in texas and one of the guys said that. I am going to have to cage it but since the gap is so big that i might want to take it to a body shop and have it straightened.

So YOOO-HOOO!!!!! there's about a $1000 dollars the way i see it. Oh well.

It was in a fender bender but i didn't think it would have tweeked that bad.

And the tops are only $160 shipped to my house from www.fbodysalvage.com in PA.
Old 07-15-2003, 10:09 PM

Re: T-tops

Originally posted by CYDWAZ
Thanks guys I'm serious i lose them alot. I did measure the gap and the gap is 7/16 in the rear and 1/4 in the front. the passenger side is like an 1/8 on the frt and back. I took my car to Speed Works in texas and one of the guys said that. I am going to have to cage it but since the gap is so big that i might want to take it to a body shop and have it straightened.

So YOOO-HOOO!!!!! there's about a $1000 dollars the way i see it. Oh well.

It was in a fender bender but i didn't think it would have tweeked that bad.

And the tops are only $160 shipped to my house from www.fbodysalvage.com in PA.
hmmm ... 3 x 160.. thats $480.. thats half the cost of the $1000 cage.. I think the cage is your best bet.. either that or a body shop and that solution is iffy...

As much as you want a sleeper look.. there is a bit of sacrifice that comes with it... I am thinking that perhaps you may want to see if there is a cage that isnt quite so noticeable...
Old 07-16-2003, 12:53 AM

take out the top, take of the rear trim peice, lossen the 2 bolts and slide the bracket the top slides into forward. this will correct the over flex and keep the top in the car, where it belongs. However this may affect the height of the top and may cause a slight drip, but at least it wont keep coming out.
Old 07-16-2003, 09:11 AM

Bet you don't have SFCs ... get 'em if you don't ... M
Old 07-16-2003, 09:55 AM

TTops can fly off.I have 2 friends who have lost TTops and they were locked.Both of them race hard and have SFC's. A cage might be the only solution I hate to say it.

Quick Reply: T-Tops