LS1 Based Engine Tech LS1 / LS6 / LS2 / LS3 / LS7 Engine Tech

Subframes beneficial or not?? Do i need them - please help

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2003, 06:36 PM

Question Subframes beneficial or not?? Do i need them - please help

I drive mainly local roads everyday, and the harsh winter has really made the roads bad. I've heard that subframe connectors can really stiffen up the car and lessen the squeaks and rattles associated with the plastic pieces in our cars. I do not race my car at the track, so would the subframes be beneficial or not?

And what would be better, weld or bolt-on - tubular or boxed - what brand, how much should I pay???

Thanks very much for any info!!
Old 03-04-2003, 06:44 PM
Banned

yes get them...they will be very beneficial....i would go with the bmr ones...bmr makes great products for our cars
Old 03-04-2003, 06:47 PM

weld on only
Old 03-04-2003, 06:50 PM

well.. let say you get them.. but you dont race and you dont drive aggressively.. then you will find yourself a bit unhappy as you will still be driving on bad roads but your car will be stiffer and more race car like.. not plush at all and you may not want that.. I know I prefered the super stiff feel of a car with sub frame connectors and LCA's and panhard along with some Energy Suspension parts.. that made it real fun.. but my passengers didnt like it much..
Old 03-04-2003, 07:46 PM

Re: Subframes beneficial or not?? Do i need them - please help

Originally posted by NunzZ28
...I've heard that subframe connectors can really stiffen up the car and lessen the squeaks and rattles associated with the plastic pieces in our cars...
I don't think NunzZ28's question was completely answered. I too am interested in this mod and I would also like to know if SFCs will help prevent (or slow down the process) squeaks and rattles from developing over the years. A clear benefit IMO.
Old 03-04-2003, 08:05 PM

Wink

SFC's make a huge difference, you will feel the difference the second you drive your car after they are installed. They do get rid of most squeaks & rattles & prevent news ones from starting. It's best you install SFC's asap so the squeaks & rattles don't start but if that's not an option then just do it when you can. I prefer the double diamond design because they are the strongest. My vote is for Kenny Brown Double Diamonds. They are the lightest double diamond SFC's.
Old 03-04-2003, 08:08 PM
Banned

yes it welp help squeks and will stiffen the car up
Old 03-04-2003, 08:11 PM

Thanks. I will be doing mine this spring.
Old 03-04-2003, 10:40 PM

It will help stop the squeaks and rattles and will help the car corner like it's on rails.

Weld in or bolt on? Your choice. I know guys who have been running bolt ons for years and they never loosen up and the holes never elongate.

Personally, I run a set of double-diamond bolt-on SFC's from www.SpectacleSolutions.com and have never had problems with them. 14 runs at the track in one night ... checked the SFC's when I got home and they were still snug.
Old 03-04-2003, 10:58 PM
Banned

i would get bmr.....they will hold really good my buddy has them and he runs 11s

i have them and run hopefully 13s
Old 03-05-2003, 12:16 AM

Yes, get them. As soon as I got mine in, every squeek/rattle in the car disappeared, and it just felt nicer cruising down the highway. Weld in only though, I wouldn't do bolt-in's. Tubular or Boxed? Well, I got boxed, the stronger the better IMO. Just depends if you wanna spend the extra $$ for the extra strength.
Old 03-05-2003, 12:56 AM

where would you get the welded ones installed at? I am interested in getting some, but do not know where to get the installation done.
Old 03-05-2003, 01:04 AM

Anywhere with a welder, and a car lift. Hell, a muffler shop most likely will do it, or any performance shop, etc.
Old 03-05-2003, 03:14 AM

Originally posted by GrdLockV6
Anywhere with a welder, and a car lift. Hell, a muffler shop most likely will do it, or any performance shop, etc.
That's true, I just had my bmr tubular sfc's welded by an exhaust shop today...make sure they know how.

several shops in Hawaii don't put them in cuz you need to work with the chassis.

my '98 had no squeaks/rattles to begin with. after the install ($60) the car feels more solid, but it is hard to tell unless i go over bumps, etc. There is also a click when I hit a hard bump and i think that's the sfcs...anyone?

boxed sfcs take up more space under your car, tubular is more flush...but there is still a piece that sticks out on mine. i had mine powder coated and painted yellow
Old 03-05-2003, 05:25 AM

Originally posted by TerrorDome
...but there is still a piece that sticks out on mine. i had mine powder coated and painted yellow
What kind of places do powder coating?

Quick Reply: Subframes beneficial or not?? Do i need them - please help