LS1 Based Engine Tech LS1 / LS6 / LS2 / LS3 / LS7 Engine Tech

Stall Converter 3000 Or 3500?

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2003, 02:56 PM

Stall Converter 3000 Or 3500?

GOING TO BE GETTING A STALL HAVE A 98 CAMARO WONDERING WHAT WOULD BE BETTER A 3000 OR A 3500 AROUND THE STREETS? CONTINENTAL CONVETER OR A TCI LET ME KNOW THANKS....
Old 11-13-2003, 04:16 PM

Any future plans for the car, cam, heads/cam, nitrous? Do you spend a lot of time at the track?
If you are just going with just bolt-ons, I would go with a TCI 3500. They are building some great converters for a very good price. The 3500 will get you some really nice times at the track and still give you good street manners. I think it will be a very good street/strip converter. The TCI Super Street Fighter converters run $515.99(+shipping). I would also suggest a tranny cooler to go along with it to help with the extra heat the converter will create. The Perma Cool coolers run $49.99.

Brian
Old 11-13-2003, 04:38 PM

Definately 3500
Old 11-14-2003, 10:34 PM

My guess (because I have and have always had the stock converter) is that even the 3000 stall is close to pushing the streetabilty issue envelope. Everyone is going to jump in here and say once you have a certain stall you just want more etc, and 3500 is not really high and perfectly suited to the street with the right tires, "it just takes getting used to", well I would suggest finding someone with a 3500+ stall in your area and see if it is your cup of tea. Torque management is going to get in the way, so there is a hidden expense, to have it properly deleted. What does that do to the longevity of the trans, well that is anyones guess, so far as I can tell. Don't forget the heat, now going to need a transcooler as well. If I was going to get one the vig 2800 is about max for me, but I dont go to the track and don't run a drag radial. Stall choice is going to be about your combo, and what you really want out of your car.
Old 11-15-2003, 12:50 AM

3500+ definetly. A stall is expensive, you might as well drop times with it. A 2800 is a very mild stall and you'll barely gain anything from that. If your gonna blow all that money you should at least get something out of it. A 3500 is still very streetable. The only people who think that a high stall makes your car less streetable are wimps.
Old 11-15-2003, 01:21 AM

Black,
What STR are you running and what converter. 1.9 60 foot is not to shabby, but obtainable with a tight converter.
Regards,
Old 11-15-2003, 11:10 AM

Im assuming you mean the time on my homepage. That hasnt been updated in a long time. That 1.9 was on my stock stall convertor, 2.73s and 18 inch wheels. Currently I have a 3500-3800 rpm adjustable TCI convertor. Its completely streetable and has one hell of a punch. Havent got any times on though. But I dont have drag radials on my car right now so Im probably getting some crappy 60 foots.
Old 11-15-2003, 11:21 AM

Originally posted by ArcticFormula
My guess (because I have and have always had the stock converter) is that even the 3000 stall is close to pushing the streetabilty issue envelope. Everyone is going to jump in here and say once you have a certain stall you just want more etc, and 3500 is not really high and perfectly suited to the street with the right tires, "it just takes getting used to", well I would suggest finding someone with a 3500+ stall in your area and see if it is your cup of tea. Torque management is going to get in the way, so there is a hidden expense, to have it properly deleted. What does that do to the longevity of the trans, well that is anyones guess, so far as I can tell. Don't forget the heat, now going to need a transcooler as well. If I was going to get one the vig 2800 is about max for me, but I dont go to the track and don't run a drag radial. Stall choice is going to be about your combo, and what you really want out of your car.
Always nice to let people know first that you are clueless and everything you're about say is coming from where the sun don't shine ...

What you don't know ... 2800 is just a model number for Precsion Industries ... the Vig 2800 stalls closer to 3500 that it does to 2800.

What you don't know ... streetabilty and what even defines it ... in most manufacturers you have to get to at least a 3500 stall before it's even noticable. Besides stall isn't the only factor to affect streetabilty ... shift extentsion and STR also play a large part.

What you don't know ... I doubt you can even explain what torque management is. It is not neccesary nor required to remove torque mangement. People were running high stall TCs in LS1s for years without a "TM problem" before LS1 edit ... removing TM might reduce your ET by a few of thousandths, but having or not having it doesn't do anything to the drivablity ...

What you don't know ... "1.9 60 foot is not to shabby, but obtainable with a tight converter." ... "I dont go to the track ..." But you presume to know what good 60' is for a given TC. 1.9 is good for a stock TC or any TC on street tires ... for any AM TC on DRs a 1.9 simply sucks ...

What you do know .... Tranny cooler ... definitely recommended and costs a whole $50.

What you do know ... "Stall choice is going to be about your combo, and what you really want out of your car." ... might of been nice if you actually had some valid experience to contribute to that end, though ...

Now for Round2 ... is this mostly for the street or do you go to the track? What kind of tire are you running?

When you get a TC you get it with one primary goal ... hard launches. And your car needs to be set up to handle it, or you will be disappointed in the results.

If you are going to be primarily light to light racing and the track is a once or twice a year thing; you probably don't want to go much higher than 3000 stall, mild STR and a stock like shift extention. A set of Nittos would be a must.

If you are not going to invest in Nittos. You probably shouldn't go higher than a 2800 stall or even put one in at all.

If you go the track fairly often ... then you already know tires are must ... at least Nittos and preferably a set of track only wheels outfitted with BFG DRs or ET Streets. In that case you want to go to at least a 3500 stall, a higher STR and a tighter shift extension. But will also need to pay attention to your suspension set up to get the most out of it.

Last if you are or are planning H/C, then you will need to be at least at a 3800 stall, which is about the point that streetablity will start to become an issue. From that point, the higher stall you go the more you will be able to take advantage of your power, but you will be sacrificing streetablity/roadabilty ...

Good Luck

Last edited by V6toZ28; 11-15-2003 at 11:33 AM.
Old 11-15-2003, 12:04 PM

V6toZ28,

You really dont need a 3800 rpm stall if your going to do a H/C combo. It really depends all on your cam. If your doing a small cam like a 216/220 you CAN run that on the stock convertor. You SHOULD get a convertor with any cam, but with such a small cam it isnt a neccessity, but always recommended. However if you get something along the lines of a 232/240 cam you should get relatively high stall. It all depends on how aggressive your cam is. Also a 3500 rpm stall should be enough for any heads cam combo. Bigger is always better, but for driveability purposes a 3500 should be just fine. There is a reason why its such a popular stall speed. A 3500 is just starting to notice a loss of streetability Alot of people cant take the sacrifice of more extreme driveability loss of something bigger yet the 3500 performs so well in any combination.
Old 11-15-2003, 12:45 PM

V6toZ28,
Who pissed in your coffee? You come across as rather arrogant. I reread my post and don't think I pulled anything out of my ***. I have a basic understanding of torque management and have read posts that the 01s and 02s are particularlly susceptible to TM issues. Why would there be so much interest in reducing or deleting its effects if there were not any issues, and only thousandths of a second were at stake.
If everytime someone mashed the gas from a dead stop with factory wheels and tires and cut 1.9 60 foots, I don't think as many "average" enthusiasts would bother spending money on torque converters.
Regards,
Old 11-15-2003, 04:54 PM

i have never heard of a PI converter using a model number rather than a stall speed...closest ive ever come across was that vigilantes tended to stall a little higher than labeled (2-300 RPM)but ive never heard of anyone getting a "2800" converter that stalls at 3500.....

also i have a 3400 converter that really does stall at 3400 and drivability IS a problem on an everyday driver........
for about one day, until you get used to it.....

i vote for the 3500....great gains and plenty respectable street manners...