LS1 Based Engine Tech LS1 / LS6 / LS2 / LS3 / LS7 Engine Tech

Spark Plugs

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2004, 08:28 AM

Spark Plugs

On a basically stock motor should i use TR5s or TR55s?
Old 07-22-2004, 03:32 PM

Re: Spark Plugs

Originally Posted by CPFarhood
Either one will work... (I like the tr55 because i like to gap them at .50)

We sell the for $15.60 for 8 ($1.95 each)

Thanks,
Jim
Old 07-22-2004, 03:35 PM

I would agree with maldo. if your gonna run a s/c or nitrous tr6's gapped at .038-.040
Old 07-22-2004, 03:59 PM

Originally Posted by robvas
What's the difference in the 55 and 5? TR6 is a colder plug, I'm assuming, but what does a 55 mean?

No difference in heat range Tr5 is meant to be gapped at .35 and the Tr55 are meant to gapped at .50.
Old 07-22-2004, 04:49 PM

Originally Posted by CPFarhood
I asked the same question to my GM Master-Tech and he recommended the regular Delcos for a basically stock motor.
Old 07-22-2004, 05:08 PM

they are a special iridum. i got ac delcos for my car. they were like 60 bucks. the ngks or whatever are suppposedly cheaper. im only putting gm stuff back on my car though. its more expensive but im tired of dealing with our other pieced together cars. this one is going to be 100% gm stuff.
Old 07-23-2004, 09:44 AM

Originally Posted by 2001 B4C
they are a special iridum. i got ac delcos for my car. they were like 60 bucks. the ngks or whatever are suppposedly cheaper. im only putting gm stuff back on my car though. its more expensive but im tired of dealing with our other pieced together cars. this one is going to be 100% gm stuff.

Hi,
Believe it or not most GM parts are made buy someone else… Just because it has GM part number and says GM on the box does not meant that GM makes it. That goes for all the auto manufactures.
Funny I am starting to see Honda parts that are made in China (LOL) go figure..... So when you say I want to keep the car 100% GM thats what GM wants you to do so they can make more money off of you take this with a gain of salt this is not meant to attack anyone just to give you some insight

more of my .02 ....... I can never understand why people choose to go to the dealer for a part that they can find cheaper someplace else. If GM parts were so good then why are there so many after-market companies out there who can build a better quality or better engineered parts then stock (good case example: power window motors every single f-body out there that is a few years old has had or will have a power window motor problem… why would you go back to gm to buy the same flawed part when other companies out there have re engineer the part to last twice as long at ½ the price of what GM would charge you for a inferior part.

Ok on the flip side i have seen some junk the after-market has out there ... but usually you can find a high quality parts for 1/2 the price ... who cares is the part is stamped with a gm logo ... it a matter of how it works in my book because the stamped gm logo does not mean a dam thing ... Because as a parts dealer I have seen everything and there are some high quality stuff out there at good prices

Last edited by Maldo; 07-23-2004 at 10:01 AM.
Old 07-23-2004, 10:09 AM

Originally Posted by 2001 B4C
newsflash: many spark plug companies make iridium plugs, not just delco. and iridium are not OEM on our cars. you coulda just got the regular delcos to put back on the car, MUCH cheaper than iridium.

i tend to agree with maldo. my roomie just bought 2 gallons of antifreeze for his BMW at the bimmer dealer, and paid $17 per gallon.. i asked him why, he gave me some crap about BMW doing extensive research in the field of coolant, or some
Old 07-23-2004, 10:22 AM

Originally Posted by camaro322hp
newsflash: many spark plug companies make iridium plugs, not just delco. and iridium are not OEM on our cars. you coulda just got the regular delcos to put back on the car, MUCH cheaper than iridium.

i tend to agree with maldo. my roomie just bought 2 gallons of antifreeze for his BMW at the bimmer dealer, and paid $17 per gallon.. i asked him why, he gave me some crap about BMW doing extensive research in the field of coolant, or some

don't get me started about BMW because those guys are worse the the vette owners ...... I have a few friends who own BMWs and Audi’s (M this an M that they like anything with a M on it … if they sold the rubber dog dooo with m3 or m5 on it they would buy it ) and they think their car is soooooo superior until I blow by them ""with what they say is a low tech outdated car" at more then 150 mph for about a ¼ of the price and i can still hang with then in the turns without a problem ....
Old 07-23-2004, 10:31 AM

The factory service manual specifys the gap at 0.060 so i think i'll use tr55s at 0.050.
Old 07-23-2004, 02:38 PM

i realize GM dosent make all its parts in house. Delphi isnt part of GM. they make all the computers. the original spark plugs were made by Denso. as are the coil packs. in the past i have used non GM parts and sometimes they fine and sometimes they screw up. im tired of things not fitting correctly or working correctly. i went and bought some spark plugs to replace mine when i changed them. they were 2 inches to long. stuff like that discourages me from buying aftermarket parts. for my B4C, since it dosent have the issues that our other cars have im trying to make it as reliable as possible. i daily drive the car so i cant be out searching for parts and letting it sit for a week. none of the parts places around here had the correct spark plugs, or any iridum ones. even the GM dealelrship only had 7. but they got me the 8th before the day was up. i had to change them that day. ill agree that some of the GM stuff is crap ie electric windows. however im trying to keep my car as stock as humanly possible.

(sorry about the long response)
Old 07-23-2004, 10:54 PM

Originally Posted by Maldo
don't get me started about BMW because those guys are worse the the vette owners ...... I have a few friends who own BMWs and Audi’s (M this an M that they like anything with a M on it … if they sold the rubber dog dooo with m3 or m5 on it they would buy it ) and they think their car is soooooo superior until I blow by them ""with what they say is a low tech outdated car" at more then 150 mph for about a ¼ of the price and i can still hang with then in the turns without a problem ....
lol i know just what you mean. between my roomie's 323is and his buddy's S4 (the old 2.7 biturbo, with a whopping 250 HP ), i have to listen to their crap all the time. oh well, the guy with the S4 says his car is gonna run 13's after exhaust and chip install. but he won't go to the track with me..... those guys crack me up. if i hear one more comment about german engineering..... (although i wouldn't mind having an E55 AMG, that's the ultimate sleeper)
Old 07-23-2004, 11:07 PM

the ultimate sleeper is a 1962 biscane 409
Old 07-23-2004, 11:27 PM

Did all of the 98-02 Z28's came stock with the same plug? I have a 1999 Z that I bought with 13,000 miles on it, the previous owner (who I know fairly well) said that the only thing he ever did to the car was change the oil and when I did the Flowtech header install I changed the plugs and wires the plugs I took out were ngk's, they werent tr5 or tr55 but they were ngk's. I didnt think to look at the time to see exactly which ones they were.
Old 07-24-2004, 03:29 AM

Originally Posted by 99blackz99
Did all of the 98-02 Z28's came stock with the same plug? I have a 1999 Z that I bought with 13,000 miles on it, the previous owner (who I know fairly well) said that the only thing he ever did to the car was change the oil and when I did the Flowtech header install I changed the plugs and wires the plugs I took out were ngk's, they werent tr5 or tr55 but they were ngk's. I didnt think to look at the time to see exactly which ones they were.
a few of the LS1's came from the factory with NGK's.

Quick Reply: Spark Plugs